Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 3 guitars project including Mark's sunburst schecter replica and a red strat  (Read 7232 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music

I started a 3 guitars project :

first step was to "unbuild" my red Strat Hondo copy and make a custom "shorty" guitar with parts unsued :

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/une-nouvelle-guitare-faite-a-partir-delements-de-recup/

next step will be : change the black finish on my US strat into tobacco sunburst, and then adding Ingo's parts to build the sunburst schecter replica

final step will be to build a red strat with the Hondo body, pickguard-Bridge-Tremolo from the ex-black strat, and adding a new neck

OfflineMudrian

• Guitar George
Hello JF,
nice project and looking foward to see the result.
My only concern would be the black strat conversion in sunburst.You can' t tell what kind of wood quality you re going to find underneath the finish (grain and number of pieces to create the body). Sunburst being a translucid finish , it might have an impact on the result.
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Building guitars properly is a hard thing to do, kudos to Ingo for nailing this down to a single wire. It's funny how probably every MK fan who plays guitar goes through the phase of getting mesmerized by the Schecter Dream Machine. I wanted this guitar with its weird controls and looks so bad when I was a kid. So to me, it's still a dream machine if you know what I mean :lol Nowadays, I do realize it's just an instrument, like any other.

I always loved the idea of toggle switches for pickups, that's so much better than your standard 5-way, let alone 3-way switches, which was terribly unclear to me. More guitars should be like this, like Brian May's Red Special, which not only has toggle switches for pickups but even for phase/out of phase controls. That's the way you do it! Makes you think that these "perfect" and "legendary" guitars aren't so perfect after all...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 09:45:54 AM by quizzaciously »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
Hello JF,
nice project and looking foward to see the result.
My only concern would be the black strat conversion in sunburst.You can' t tell what kind of wood quality you re going to find underneath the finish (grain and number of pieces to create the body). Sunburst being a translucid finish , it might have an impact on the result.

yes you are right, the luthier told me so. But I didn't want to buy another body, so I take the risk and we'll see
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 10:03:21 AM by JF »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
Building guitars properly is a hard thing to do, kudos to Ingo for nailing this down to a single wire. It's funny how probably every MK fan who plays guitar goes through the phase of getting mesmerized by the Schecter Dream Machine. I wanted this guitar with its weird controls and looks so bad when I was a kid. So to me, it's still a dream machine if you know what I mean :lol Nowadays, I do realize it's just an instrument, like any other.

I always loved the idea of toggle switches for pickups, that's so much better than your standard 5-way, let alone 3-way switches, which was terribly unclear to me. More guitars should be like this, like Brian May's Red Special, which not only has toggle switches for pickups but even for phase/out of phase controls. That's the way you do it! Makes you think that these "perfect" and "legendary" guitars aren't so perfect after all...

two weeks ago I played on a Red special replica. nice guitar, legendary.
But I found not that easy to have all this toogle switches. a little bit "difficult" to fin the sound you want
I like the 5 way switches on a strat : you can switch easily and directly from a sound to another one while playing.
I think that guitars with all this  buttons are made to keep the same sound during the whole song.
Thats' why I want to keep a "normal" strat kind guitar with my red one : a guitar for playing in jams, blues, and that kind off stuff. You don't know in advance what you are going to play : rhythm, strumming, arpeggios, lead... you need to have an easy way to switch your sound quickly.
I think I will used my schecter replica more for recording stuff, when you want a specific sound at one time
but eh, I will bring it in jam too, for the look  8)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Good luck!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

hunter

My friend has a Schecter from the 80s (made in Texas, not California), and he bought the pickguard from Ingo as well. The build quality is fantastic, but I truly hate the switches. They are great for recording, but for live use when you want to go from a sweet neck rhythm sound to a screaming bridge pickup for a lead then a five-way switch is so much better.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
My friend has a Schecter from the 80s (made in Texas, not California), and he bought the pickguard from Ingo as well. The build quality is fantastic, but I truly hate the switches. They are great for recording, but for live use when you want to go from a sweet neck rhythm sound to a screaming bridge pickup for a lead then a five-way switch is so much better.

yes exactly
I am quite sure I will my two strats that way : the schecter one for recording when I want a particular sound, and the fender one for jamming (I like switching sounds while playing)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
the project continues, and luckily the wood  underneath the finish on my my black strat is a one wood piece, with nice grain  :)

here is a first attempt. I told the luthier to make the black part thinner, to have more brown.

stay tuned for next steps

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Looks good!

OfflineMudrian

• Guitar George
This is going to be a fantastic guitar. I'm glad I was wrong when pointing out that underneath the black finish you could find a not so nice wood. If I was a bit mystic I would say that this guitar arived in your hands just to be transformed in the sunburst schecter replica !
 :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
This is going to be a fantastic guitar. I'm glad I was wrong when pointing out that underneath the black finish you could find a not so nice wood. If I was a bit mystic I would say that this guitar arived in your hands just to be transformed in the sunburst schecter replica !
 :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

8) :P

yes. but you were right having this doubt. The luthier told me that usually Fender uses the nice pieces of wood for the sunburst models, and then the rest of others pieces for other models that have color finish. and often, the bodies are made with several pieces of wood, with different grain.
So indeed, there was a risk that the wood could have been not so nice

I am very lucky  :)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Yeah, it was kind of a waste using this wood on a solid colour guitar (until now!)

I remember someone back in the day saying it was a waste using swamp ash on the MK strats as it often has beautiful grain.

OfflineMudrian

• Guitar George
I will not strip mine to check  ;D

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 39 queries.