Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark on Monteleone  (Read 3839 times)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Mark on Monteleone
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 01:46:53 AM »
Finally, not an obituary ;D

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 08:27:10 AM »
old wine in a new bottle...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 09:10:47 AM »
yes, boring and old matter.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 07:52:45 AM »
That's an amazing title for the documentary  :lol :lol :lol :lol
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

hunter

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 07:34:43 PM »
One of those songs that give me nothing. Dull musically and irrelevant thematically – Mr M. is a great guitar builder and MK likes his guitars, and so what? There really was nothing else to put on the album instead? Or just make the album shorter! I just don't get MK's decisions sometimes.

Edit: Added "decisions".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 05:54:50 AM by hunter »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 10:52:57 PM »
One of those songs that give me nothing. Dull musically and irrelevant thematically – Mr M. is a great guitar builder and MK likes his guitars, and so what? There really was nothing else to put on the album instead? Or just make the album shorter! I just don't get MK's sometimes.

completely different taste here, I love the song
that romantic-cinematic mood, chords arrangements are superb imho
agree about lyrics though, it's not Mark's best effort obviously, but the music gives makes me fly evrytime I listen to it

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2022, 11:06:14 PM »
For me, Monteleone is one of the most beautiful songs. Not every song has to be a poetry classic.
Clear as the day

hunter

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2022, 11:29:09 PM »
For me, Monteleone is one of the most beautiful songs. Not every song has to be a poetry classic.

Is there anything by MK you don't like?  ;D

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 12:20:18 AM »
Now we're talking about my preferences?  :disbelief

Yes. Some songs. For example: Badges ...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 01:06:16 AM by Robson »
Clear as the day

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 01:29:27 AM »
One of those songs that give me nothing. Dull musically and irrelevant thematically – Mr M. is a great guitar builder and MK likes his guitars, and so what? There really was nothing else to put on the album instead? Or just make the album shorter! I just don't get MK's decisions sometimes.

But you can say that about many songs, MK songs included. He's got a song about a quality shoe, a song about stew from the same album, not every song is going to be a story about two English astronomers and American history bundled in a 5-minutes song or a take on Shakespeare himself. The Beatles wrote a lot of pointless or simple stuff, but it's still interesting because everybody can find something in it.

I think the trouble with Monteleone is that you need to do some homework beforehand and know who John Monteleone is, why Mark wrote this song and how it was born, why somebody would make a guitar like this, it's a lot to ask from an average listener. But then again, you don't need to know anything about the Mason–Dixon line to enjoy Sailing To Philadelphia. So I don't know, really.

Mark doesn't know whether a song will be forgotten or will resonate with people. I don't think that Monteleone is the song that was buried under a huge weight of the rest of his songs, I think it's pretty important, especially since Mark, just like John, is such a craftsman himself, the only difference is John crafts instruments from wood, and Mark crafts his songs from words. It's an amazing take on his own work, I think.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2022, 01:37:01 AM »

But you can say that about many songs, MK songs included. He's got a song about a quality shoe, a song about stew from the same album, not every song is going to be a story about two English astronomers and American history bundled in a 5-minutes song or a take on Shakespeare himself. The Beatles wrote a lot of pointless or simple stuff, but it's still interesting because everybody can find something in it.

I think the trouble with Monteleone is that you need to do some homework beforehand and know who John Monteleone is, why Mark wrote this song and how it was born, why somebody would make a guitar like this, it's a lot to ask from an average listener. But then again, you don't need to know anything about the Mason–Dixon line to enjoy Sailing To Philadelphia. So I don't know, really.

Mark doesn't know whether a song will be forgotten or will resonate with people. I don't think that Monteleone is the song that was buried under a huge weight of the rest of his songs, I think it's pretty important, especially since Mark, just like John, is such a craftsman himself, the only difference is John crafts instruments from wood, and Mark crafts his songs from words. It's an amazing take on his own work, I think.

Beautifully written. :thumbsup
Clear as the day

hunter

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2022, 02:52:03 AM »

I understand what you're saying, but Mark deals with a similar topic in Kill To Get Crimson, which I think is a much more interesting song.

As for researching to know the context of a song, that's normal, and not only for Mark's songs.

hunter

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2022, 02:53:11 AM »
Now we're talking about my preferences?  :disbelief

Yes. Some songs. For example: Badges ...

Just pulling your leg a little. You're a true fan  :thumbsup

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 46 queries.