Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Three official versions of Twisting by the Pool.  (Read 2459 times)

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
Three official versions of Twisting by the Pool.
« on: June 18, 2022, 06:32:29 AM »
I just discovered some much more subtle details in Twisting by the Pool, I don't even know where to start...

(I'm going to post it here because I think there must be some retail fanatic out there like me, but I'll go ahead and apologize, because it's a bit long and needs analysis.)

With that, it is clear to me that there are 3 official versions of this song with minor differences.

Well the version that was released today on streaming platforms is the same version that was released on the EP in 1983, however I noticed there are different details in the releases of this song.

1- The TBTP clip on Vevo has the same audio as the version released on the '83 EP, but this same clip released on the Dire Straits The Videos compilation, released in '93 and The Very Best Of Dire Straits, released in '98 , seems to have the audio from the remix version (1988) with some differences.

2- In the version of the TBTP clip present in the vhs released in 1993 and in 1998 when "Gonna be so cool" is sung for the first time, at 0:20, only in these versions is it sung in a unique way, all the others versions are sung the same way, in the Gonna be so cool", at minute 0:20 only occurs in the video versions released in '93 and '98.

3- The Remix version released in 1988, Mark does NOT sing the first chorus in the same way as the 83 EP version, he omits some parts sung "twisting by the pool" (check at 0:30 and 0:36).

4- What we already knew, the version released in 1988 remix, has reverb in Mark's voice and also more volume in some parts and less volume in other parts compared to the version released in 1983 in the ep.

Anyway, 1- there is the EP version of 83. 2- in 1988 it is released remixed, Mark omits some singing parts "twisting by the pool" (see at 0:30 and 0:36). 3- in 1993 the video clip comes out on vhs dire straits the videos use the remixed audio but here when "Gonna be so cool" is sung for the first time at 0:20 only in these versions is it sung in a unique way, it launches similarly 1998 vhs and dvd. 4- The CD version The Very Best of Dire Straits (1998) is the same as the 1983 EP.

Just as a curiosity, and just to remind you, here is a version of Twisting by the Pool Remix, released in 1988 in the aforementioned collection.

Here is here is the version of the EP, released in 1983.

Logo in the first lines is possible to notice differences in voice.

Anyway, I know this is crazy, whoever has the videos of Dire Straits (1993), or the dvd The Very best of Dire Straits (1998) will be able to follow my analysis, but, for that, they will have to be crazy like me !  ;D
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: Three official versions of Twisting by the Pool.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 09:17:12 AM »
Hello Brunno Nunes. Wow, good research work, many thanks for that.
We are fools to make war

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 09:59:47 AM »

1- there is the EP version of 83.

2- in 1988 it is released remixed, Mark omits some singing parts "twisting by the pool" (see at 0:30 and 0:36).

3- in 1993 the video clip comes out on vhs dire straits the videos use the remixed audio but here when "Gonna be so cool" is sung for the first time at 0:20 only in these versions is it sung in a unique way, it launches similarly 1998 vhs and dvd.

Thanks. Perfect analysis

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 05:05:52 AM »

1- there is the EP version of 83.

2- in 1988 it is released remixed, Mark omits some singing parts "twisting by the pool" (see at 0:30 and 0:36).

3- in 1993 the video clip comes out on vhs dire straits the videos use the remixed audio but here when "Gonna be so cool" is sung for the first time at 0:20 only in these versions is it sung in a unique way, it launches similarly 1998 vhs and dvd.

Thanks. Perfect analysis
Hello Brunno Nunes. Wow, good research work, many thanks for that.
Thanks!! :thumbsup ;)

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 11:00:44 AM »

What about 1979 studio version? There is a extract of a video clip on Arena documentary, you can see Twisting By The Pool with David on the band. Maybe can be the 4th version?

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 04:31:11 PM »

What about 1979 studio version? There is a extract of a video clip on Arena documentary, you can see Twisting By The Pool with David on the band. Maybe can be the 4th version?

Well remembered, that version is a kind of demo and was recorded in 1980, it has never been released until today. With it we can say that there are 4 studio versions.

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 07:18:18 PM »
Well remembered, that version is a kind of demo and was recorded in 1980, it has never been released until today. With it we can say that there are 4 studio versions.

From Mimmo's info:

" Mark produced demos of Solid Rock and Twisting By The Pool at Basing Street for a possible single that never appeared. He also produced an unreleased single for Lee Fardon ".

It meant, therefore, that the project for the release of a single with Solid Rock on side A, a year before it was re-recorded without David Knopfler for Making Movies, had started and so I thought that surely a test record had been produced, the so-called acetates, metal discs covered with a particular wax and which were made by specialized laboratories (Trident Studios, Town House Studios, Master Room Studios, Sound Clinic, just to mention the most famous) in a variable number from only 1 to 5 copies and which were then delivered into the hands of the artist himself (in those years there were no computers and CDRs).
The Dire Straits in this case, as they had done previously, relied on the TRIDENT STUDIOS of London.

The mystery of side B remains, as the book mentions Twisting by The Pool, while What's The Matter Baby was ultimately chosen. The hypotheses are 2 in my opinion: either it is an error by Michael Oldfield (in fact there are small errors in the book) or Mark was undecided about the song to be released on side B and had 2 different acetates produced, one having side B Twisting By The Pool and this one having as side B What's The Matter Baby.

If so, then there would also be another acetate with Twisting by The Pool, whose 1979 studio version actually exists and we can hear it (although not in full) in the BBC television documentary "Arena". (Who knows, sooner or later I might find this other acetate too!)

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 03:58:34 PM »

If so, then there would also be another acetate with Twisting by The Pool, whose 1979 studio version actually exists and we can hear it (although not in full) in the BBC television documentary "Arena". (Who knows, sooner or later I might find this other acetate too!)[/i]

[/quote]

But, this material you are referring to was not recorded in 1979, but in 1980, from September to December of 79 (the period in which Twisting by The Pool and Solid Rock were written) the band did not stop touring according to the tour. Twisting by The Pool was first performed live at the first show of the second American tour, in Boston- 08.09.79 and continued on set until the end of the tour, it is possible that Solid Rock was played at some show of the second American tour. , especially in October, the truth is that in November SR is on bootlegs like Amsterdam, Cologne, Oslo 79.

In the BBC ARENA documentary, we can hear excerpts from the Solid Rock demo and even a production of a clip with the Twisting by The Pool demo, however, incomplete.

I believe the Solid Rock demo, Twisting by The Pool and Whats The Matter Baby were recorded in Basing Street between February and March 1980, perhaps they recorded the song Making Movies at the same time. Anyway... If you go looking in the safes for unpublished material, you will undoubtedly find it.

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 08:23:02 PM »
But, this material you are referring to was not recorded in 1979, but in 1980, from September to December of 79 (the period in which Twisting by The Pool and Solid Rock were written) the band did not stop touring according to the tour. Twisting by The Pool was first performed live at the first show of the second American tour, in Boston- 08.09.79 and continued on set until the end of the tour, it is possible that Solid Rock was played at some show of the second American tour. , especially in October, the truth is that in November SR is on bootlegs like Amsterdam, Cologne, Oslo 79.

In the BBC ARENA documentary, we can hear excerpts from the Solid Rock demo and even a production of a clip with the Twisting by The Pool demo, however, incomplete.

I believe the Solid Rock demo, Twisting by The Pool and Whats The Matter Baby were recorded in Basing Street between February and March 1980, perhaps they recorded the song Making Movies at the same time. Anyway... If you go looking in the safes for unpublished material, you will undoubtedly find it.

All this info is from Mimmo, not mine.

By the way, Twsiting by the Pool HD video is now available on YouTube! (Vevo version, not remixed audio)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 36 queries.