Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The other Dire Straits "lost musicians" Involvements  (Read 3370 times)

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
The other Dire Straits "lost musicians" Involvements
« on: June 20, 2022, 12:25:46 PM »
Hello again.
What do you think about the other "lost DS-musicians" and a hypothethical collaboration with MK in the near future ?? Is that possible or not ? Never ever, or  maybe in the near future ??
Picture this: What do you think about it, if MK will getting in contact again with Alan Clark (synths and pianos), with Chris White (Saxophone), with Hal Lindes (Guitars), with Jack Sonni (Guitars), with Pick Withers (Drums). Can it be possible, that MK will reactivate musical relationships with those mentioned musicians from the Dire Straits past ??
What do you think ? Phantasy or possible reality. :think
We are fools to make war

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: The other Dire Straits "lost musicians" Involvements
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 01:19:19 PM »
I don't think so, we know he has seen Hal in the RAH backstage and also at the Illsley's book presentation, that he helped JAck raising money when his daughter died, but the rest, I don't think he would want to contact them, specially Chris and Alan since they started "The Straits" and the keep it with their bands "DS Experience" and "DS Legacy"...

I think that working with any of them would be more a dream than a reality, but, who knows...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 01:26:02 PM »
Hello again.
What do you think about the other "lost DS-musicians" and a hypothethical collaboration with MK in the near future ?? Is that possible or not ? Never ever, or  maybe in the near future ??
Picture this: What do you think about it, if MK will getting in contact again with Alan Clark (synths and pianos), with Chris White (Saxophone), with Hal Lindes (Guitars), with Jack Sonni (Guitars), with Pick Withers (Drums). Can it be possible, that MK will reactivate musical relationships with those mentioned musicians from the Dire Straits past ??
What do you think ? Phantasy or possible reality. :think

Yeah, everything is possible, but why? Only for nostalgic sake? Mark isn't known for this at all, he's got access to the best players out there. Richard Bennett is easy as experienced and qualified as all Mark's rhythm guitar players combined and then some. I can't see a real reason to reactivate relationships. Even Mark's biggest partner, John Illsley, never recorded with him in the studio again, so I can't see other guys joining in other than for some epic tribute or charity project, but I doubt it as well. So most likely, no.

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 01:42:58 PM »
To jbaent and quizzaciously, thank´s for your both thaughts in that hypothetical question from my side. :think
Sure the so called "96ers" are of course excellent musicians, no question. They did very good jobs on the subject of studio and live-performances, also Guy Fletcher. 
We are fools to make war

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 01:45:39 PM »
Alan Clark said recently he does still talk to MK. He got approval for his version of R&J from MK.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 01:50:39 PM »
Alan Clark said recently he does still talk to MK. He got approval for his version of R&J from MK.

Yes, and Hal Lindes work frequently at British Grove as a session player for other artists.

Regarding Alan, I always wondered why he wasn't at the MK and friends concert, one would say they didn't talk to each other at that time, but MK and Alan played I think in 2005, after that concerts, at the Alan Shearer pub opening...

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 02:35:01 PM »
"Even Mark's biggest partner, John Illsley, never recorded with him in the studio again"

Sometimes he recorded  ;)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 02:37:22 PM »
"Even Mark's biggest partner, John Illsley, never recorded with him in the studio again"

Thgether? When?

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 02:39:27 PM »
I mean JI solo albums with MK:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 03:55:03 PM »

Thgether? When?

Mk played on two songs in the Streets of heaven record

John usually records or mix at British Grove

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2022, 04:14:19 PM »

Thgether? When?

Mk played on two songs in the Streets of heaven record

John usually records or mix at British Grove

Ah, I thought I've missed something bigger than that. That's certainly not a big collaboration for friends of their magnitude though, Mark played even on his brother's debut album back in the day.

Of course, John would record in BG, where else he can record his stuff! Mark could've hired John to play on a million songs since and including Golden Heart as a nostalgic gesture, but tend to look forward lol.

hunter

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2022, 09:50:28 PM »
Why would he? First of all, Mark is completely unsentimental about the past. He's almost cold. Second, there's nothing that those musicians can bring to the table that Mark's current band can't do. None of them are big artists or have a special gift or "voice", if you like. They are not his equals. They're good musicians, but not extraordinary ones. All that matters to Mark is his artistic vision and networking with people who can help him realize that vision.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 07:05:20 AM »
Why would he? First of all, Mark is completely unsentimental about the past. He's almost cold. Second, there's nothing that those musicians can bring to the table that Mark's current band can't do. None of them are big artists or have a special gift or "voice", if you like. They are not his equals. They're good musicians, but not extraordinary ones. All that matters to Mark is his artistic vision and networking with people who can help him realize that vision.

Guy has made no secret of the fact that they consider Glenn W the best bass player around bar none, and that suggests that they do consider him a better musician than John.

hunter

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 08:11:12 AM »

Guy has made no secret of the fact that they consider Glenn W the best bass player around bar none, and that suggests that they do consider him a better musician than John.

Oh, totally. John's tehcnical level is very basic. Although I will say his style is quite musical and always worked well with DS.

By the way, when I wrote "those musicians", I meant the ones that the OP mentioned in the first post. The current band, i.e. the 96ers plus the rest, are musicians of the highest caliber and can do anything "those musicians" can do and a lot more. So musically Mark has no reason to reconnect with them.

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 10:53:00 AM »
OK, thank you all for your thaughts in the case of the "old DS-musicians".  :thumbsup
In conclusion we can say, MK has his circle of important and well educated musicians for his musical work. No doubt and no question anymore. So we can say MK lives his life as an artist, songwriter and musician and the "other DS-members" make their things.
Have you ever heard something new about Terry Williams. Williams had a musical career with the welsh rockband MAN, with Dave Edmunds, Rockpile and with Dire Straits, at least. But now, what about him, is he a jolly pensioner, or is he currently involved in some musical works. ?? :think
We are fools to make war

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 40 queries.