Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Holly Beth Vincent  (Read 3234 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: Holly Beth Vincent
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2022, 01:07:40 PM »
they met a first time in 1973 some years before their relationship (wich was from fall 78 to september 79)

But she said : « Mark's and my relationship went back to when I was a teen » (in 73?)
So « Where do you think you're going » could be for her
Angel Of Mercy seems to be written for a young woman

I like your blog very much !  :)

thank you  :)

yes it's strange because article on Jackie Badger's blog dont talk about a relationship in 73, only that they met.
and in 73, I think that Mark was in divorcing with Kathy White. it's quoted in the Oldfield book, it was at the same time Mark played with Brewers droop
maybe Holly mixed things up between their first meeting, and their real relationship ?  :think

hunter

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2022, 02:12:01 PM »
I wish Mark would be left by more girls if that enabled him to write all these masterpieces  ;D ;D ;D . But I actually saw an interview with a songwriter from Tin Pan Alley who said he deliberately would ruin his relationships with someone just to get his writing juices going.
That's some psycopathic behaviour right there.

Yeah, I was surprised too... But these guys worked really hard on writing all these hits, they had shelves of notebooks filled with song titles (not even lyrics! just titles) and went to the office to write songs like to a regular job, so I suppose, everything that would help them in this environment would worth it.
It’s either that or smashed out of your face on drugs to write good music. Elton John and David Bowie were at there best when they weren’t sober.

Exactly! I wonder though how a millionaire like Mark could make himself uncomfortable... Probably by going on a long-ass tour lol :lol :lol :lol

That's why so many of his early songs feel so strong, to me at least. There's so much personal experience invested in them. His solo work often feels like summaries of books and articles ... Oh, wait.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2022, 03:14:19 PM »
Are you sure? There are more personal and autobiographical stories on the solo albums. But Mark is a different person today and writes songs differently, that's natural.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineSG

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2022, 04:21:13 PM »

yes it's strange because article on Jackie Badger's blog dont talk about a relationship in 73, only that they met.

« Mark Knopfler was one of them, we could tell he was good, but we didn't think he was for us, although he took Holly in a big way. »

These are personal things she already says too much.

In the second part of the interview, Holly says: Mark Knopfler introduced me to Charlie Gillett [Oval], after bringing myself and my drummer [Steve] back to London from L.A.

I find it strange that she follows him to London if they have seen each other just once.

hunter

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2022, 07:19:22 PM »
Are you sure?

Yes  ;D

There are more personal and autobiographical stories on the solo albums.

Quantity doesn't trump quality (quality meaning my subjective, personal preference). I feel the earlier songs have more passion and immediacy. They hit harder.

But Mark is a different person today and writes songs differently, that's natural.

Of course. Unfortunately that version of Mark the artist doesn't quite crank my tractor.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2022, 10:38:44 PM »
Life would be beautiful if we all liked the same thing. Or maybe life would be boring if we all liked the same thing:)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 10:50:06 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

OfflineSG

• Guitar George
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2022, 09:18:29 AM »
Life would be beautiful if we all liked the same thing. Or maybe life would be boring if we all liked the same thing:)

Yes, life would be boring if we all liked the same thing but lIfe would be more beautiful if we tried to understand each other.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2022, 10:58:30 AM »
 :thumbsup It's true.
Clear as the day

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2022, 02:44:07 PM »
Her is a very short interview with Holly: https://www.gettyimages.nl/detail/video/interview-with-holly-beth-vincent-of-the-band-holly-and-nieuwsfootage/161682388

Indeed, there should be another interview with her, anyway I read that she was also contacted in the past by this Phil Spector chap. In the end better she did not have any contact with this man

How did Holly and the Italians get signed to Oval records of the UK? Were you seen supporting Blondie?
Mark Knopfler introduced me to Charlie Gillett [Oval], after bringing myself and my drummer [Steve] back to London from L.A. I played Mark my Italians demo while he was in LA to begin working with Bob Dylan, after Dire Straits had had hits. He wanted to hook me up with his [Marks] managers.
We opened for Blondie at the Hammersmith Odeon and I was 'discovered' by Lyn Goldsmith [photographer] she went back to N.Y. and hyped me to my soon to be manager Gary Kurfirst. [Ramones, Talking Heads, B 52's] I was also at the time being courted by all the major labels based on my live shows in clubs around London. success happened very quickly for me there. I was also approached by labels in Los Angeles, and by Phil Spector who wanted to produce me, but I already had a plan in place with Mark, and I loved London ...England... Europe... anti-capitalist I am...lol...

But anyway I am fully interested also in her story, music and so on. Listening to her music is great indeed
really like this love letter song...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2022, 02:48:51 PM »
Her is a very short interview with Holly: https://www.gettyimages.nl/detail/video/interview-with-holly-beth-vincent-of-the-band-holly-and-nieuwsfootage/161682388

Indeed, there should be another interview with her, anyway I read that she was also contacted in the past by this Phil Spector chap. In the end better she did not have any contact with this man

How did Holly and the Italians get signed to Oval records of the UK? Were you seen supporting Blondie?
Mark Knopfler introduced me to Charlie Gillett [Oval], after bringing myself and my drummer [Steve] back to London from L.A. I played Mark my Italians demo while he was in LA to begin working with Bob Dylan, after Dire Straits had had hits. He wanted to hook me up with his [Marks] managers.
We opened for Blondie at the Hammersmith Odeon and I was 'discovered' by Lyn Goldsmith [photographer] she went back to N.Y. and hyped me to my soon to be manager Gary Kurfirst. [Ramones, Talking Heads, B 52's] I was also at the time being courted by all the major labels based on my live shows in clubs around London. success happened very quickly for me there. I was also approached by labels in Los Angeles, and by Phil Spector who wanted to produce me, but I already had a plan in place with Mark, and I loved London ...England... Europe... anti-capitalist I am...lol...

But anyway I am fully interested also in her story, music and so on. Listening to her music is great indeed
very nice find that (very short) interview. i can FULLY understand why mark was so smitten with her.
anyone found anything recent on her?
bizarre that no one went looking for her, consindering the huge success of the songs she inspired...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineSG

• Guitar George
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2022, 03:38:45 PM »
very nice find that (very short) interview. i can FULLY understand why mark was so smitten with her.
anyone found anything recent on her?
bizarre that no one went looking for her, consindering the huge success of the songs she inspired...

2018, she explains how she broke her leg on a staircase just before a concert (no light?) :think

https://punkgirldiaries.com/holly-beth-vincent-the-interview/

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 40 queries.