Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Guitars Of Mark Knopfler - Youtube  (Read 2041 times)

OfflinePeter1981

• Camerado
The Guitars Of Mark Knopfler - Youtube
« on: September 04, 2022, 01:41:52 PM »
YouTube recommended this video to me; most of the time when a video about Mark Knopfler and his guitars pops up, I can't help but find at least a few wrong facts about things here and there (from what I've learned throughout the years, but what do I know right? ;-)
But i was pleasantly surprised with this thoroughly done rundown of his instrument-arsenal. The guy is very obviously a true fan.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 01:45:36 PM by Peter1981 »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: The Guitars Of Mark Knopfler - Youtube
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 02:50:13 PM »
This is a good channel indeed. Fan or not (who's not a fan of MK?), his research team is excellent. Mistakes usually come from "do it all" channels, which need to upload stuff for the sake of uploading, brushing through the facts, and basically only reading Wikipedia beforehand. With that said, it's hard to please a diehard fan because he will always find some mistakes. So in an ideal situation, I would research the topic with the help of some fans, or be a fan in the first place.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 06:37:18 PM »
yes great

a very small detail : the Cafe Racers pic is not at the right place in term of chronology.
this pic is not from "last days of Cafe Racers" as said in the caption, it's a reunion in 1980

and a funny detail : Mark's pic with 61' red strat during "Chorus TV" show, taken from "BEST" magazine comes from me. It's the one I uploaded on Ingo's site.
I recognized it because of its peace of black tape on the right side. it was one of my posters in my teen room, and it it got torn, so I had to fix it and only had black tape

for 70th Mark's birthday, I wrote this article about his guitars (not all guitars, only the main ones) : https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/mark-knopfler-70-ans-et-toutes-ses-grattes/

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 08:23:50 PM »
It's actually funny how many mistakes fans could find :lol

Even John Suhr commented on this video with some corrections. But nevertheless, any video on MK is worth gold because it's so rare to see people talk about MK and it's NOT about Sultans of Swing or tip-of-the-iceberg things like that.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 09:20:58 PM »
He missed a couple of guitars, the Pensa sunburst from 2005, the olympic white vintage strat and the double bound vintage tele in sunburst, but other than that it was fairly accurate.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 10:23:43 PM »
He missed a couple of guitars, the Pensa sunburst from 2005, the olympic white vintage strat and the double bound vintage tele in sunburst, but other than that it was fairly accurate.

Also, I always thought Private Investigations and other stuff he mentioned was recorded on Ovation with nylon strings, and not on Gibson Chet Atkins. He toured with the latter, though.

hunter

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 02:15:17 PM »
I honestly don't like videos like this. No new information, just a summary of what has been known for years. But I guess for people who only use YT for finding information, it's a good thing.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 04:03:02 PM »
I honestly don't like videos like this. No new information, just a summary of what has been known for years. But I guess for people who only use YT for finding information, it's a good thing.

Yeah, it's true. Especially since you have an amazing source of information like oneverybootleg or Ingo with loads of cool stuff. Die-hards will always do a better job than your professional music journalist, even if he's a fan because he simply needs to address a wider audience. I can imagine an interview with Rick Beato and Mark, and it could happen since Rick is from America, and Mark prefers to do more interviews outside of UK. And I can imagine even Rick asking questions that would make die-hards do :smack

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 10:20:05 AM »
Most people who interview Mark ask silly questions, "How did you write Sultans? or Money For Nothing" etc >:( anyone can find that out with a quick Google search, I wish there was a journalist out there who would ask more interesting questions, and about things rarely mentioned.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

hunter

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 12:20:45 PM »
Most people who interview Mark ask silly questions, "How did you write Sultans? or Money For Nothing" etc >:( anyone can find that out with a quick Google search, I wish there was a journalist out there who would ask more interesting questions, and about things rarely mentioned.

So lazy. And Mark gives his standard answers. The journalist needs to introduce the question with a well-known fact, and then ask Mark to elaborate. Mark Lawson did just that, and that interview was excellent. He really brought Mark out of his comfort zone, especially when touching on David Knopfler.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 01:10:12 PM »

I'd imagine the vast majority of listeners are hearing his answers for the first time and so the questions are perfectly fine.  Obviously we'd like more obscure ones, pretty much like we'd have enjoyed obscure tracks played at his shows.

Perhaps if he was willing to put himself forward for an interview on his social media then the questions could be more interesting and obscure, but that's not happening is it.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2022, 06:02:42 PM »
They have already cut the promotional stuff before the tour to an absolute minimum for the last ten years. I wouldn't be surprised if the only thing we see from him is one or more records, maybe some recycled stuff in a guitar magazine, some re-releases here and there, but definitely no live interviews or appearances in shows.

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 11:05:14 AM »
They have already cut the promotional stuff before the tour to an absolute minimum for the last ten years. I wouldn't be surprised if the only thing we see from him is one or more records, maybe some recycled stuff in a guitar magazine, some re-releases here and there, but definitely no live interviews or appearances in shows.

Sadly, I think you're right.

One can always hope....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2022, 12:58:20 PM »
Quincy Jones went nuts as he grew old and started giving outrageous interviews, maybe MK will do the same.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2022, 03:48:17 PM »
He probably won't do any more interviews after what Stephen Sackur put him through at BBC Hardtalk in 2018.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 42 queries.