Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Music For The Queen's Funeral March  (Read 3535 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Music For The Queen's Funeral March
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2022, 11:36:19 AM »
not sure what you added with that last post Qjamesfloyd?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2022, 06:50:28 PM »
Here

and here

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2022, 07:59:25 AM »
not sure what you added with that last post Qjamesfloyd?

Sorry, it was meant to be a thumbs up  :thumbsup
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2022, 02:08:33 PM »
i may be one of the few people on earth (who own a tv set) who did not watch the event. too busy at work after 2 weeks of holiday. have not seen any images from it either (moving ones i mean)

No, I didn't watch it either and you and I are in the majority.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62966616

Less than half of the UK population tuned in despite nearly everyone being given the day off work and it being shown on virtually every TV channel here. Worldwide viewing figures would be an even smaller percentage.

For context, less people watched it in the UK than watched England get beat in the Euro 2020 final.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2022, 03:41:20 PM »
i may be one of the few people on earth (who own a tv set) who did not watch the event. too busy at work after 2 weeks of holiday. have not seen any images from it either (moving ones i mean)

Less than half of the UK population tuned in despite nearly everyone being given the day off work and it being shown on virtually every TV channel here. Worldwide viewing figures would be an even smaller percentage.

For context, less people watched it in the UK than watched England get beat in the Euro 2020 final.

The figures do not include viewers watching through streaming apps like BBC iPlayer and ITV Player, or those who saw it outdoors in cinemas, churches or pubs. 

People still waited 17 hours to walk past the Queen's coffin though.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2022, 03:46:00 PM »

The figures do not include viewers watching through streaming apps like BBC iPlayer and ITV Player, or those who saw it outdoors in cinemas, churches or pubs. 

Again, a tiny percentage of the population did. Anyone who voiced a contrary opinion on the monarchy was charged despite us supposedly living in a free country so it's not really that surprising that a one-sided impression was given.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2022, 04:28:48 PM »

Again, a tiny percentage of the population did. Anyone who voiced a contrary opinion on the monarchy was charged despite us supposedly living in a free country so it's not really that surprising that a one-sided impression was given.

I was one of those who watched it live on iPlayer, purely because I could pause it to make a bite to eat at lunchtime and a cup of tea!   I know lots of people who did the same thing.  Not everyone had the day off either, so they watched it on catch-up for that reason.

I think the enthusiasm and love for the Queen from the huge numbers of people lining the streets of Edinburgh, London and Windsor said it all. The naysayers were very much in a minority, but I agree they shouldn't have been charged and apparently the charges were withdrawn later - I'm all for freedom of speech for both sides of any protest, btw.

The majority of people in the UK are still in favour of the Monarchy by quite a long way (60% I believe) and the whole thing made me very proud to be British and a Monarchist.   If we became a republic, who would come here to see a president like Biden who would cost us a lot more money than the monarchy and changed every four years the same as a prime minister? Someone like Blair or Cameron for example who wouldn't bring in money from tourism?  What a drab country we would become without the history and the pageantry.  No thanks! 

« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 05:36:25 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2022, 08:11:03 PM »

I was one of those who watched it live on iPlayer, purely because I could pause it to make a bite to eat at lunchtime and a cup of tea!   I know lots of people who did the same thing.  Not everyone had the day off either, so they watched it on catch-up for that reason.

I think the enthusiasm and love for the Queen from the huge numbers of people lining the streets of Edinburgh, London and Windsor said it all. The naysayers were very much in a minority, but I agree they shouldn't have been charged and apparently the charges were withdrawn later - I'm all for freedom of speech for both sides of any protest, btw.

The majority of people in the UK are still in favour of the Monarchy by quite a long way (60% I believe) and the whole thing made me very proud to be British and a Monarchist.   If we became a republic, who would come here to see a president like Biden who would cost us a lot more money than the monarchy and changed every four years the same as a prime minister? Someone like Blair or Cameron for example who wouldn't bring in money from tourism?  What a drab country we would become without the history and the pageantry.  No thanks!

:clap :clap
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2022, 07:32:56 AM »

I would suggest that 60% isn’t exactly huge support but it’s certainly been the case that opinion polls showed majority support for the monarchy while Elizabeth was on the throne. It will be interesting to see if that continues under the current incumbent.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2022, 01:02:13 PM »
I've always wondered why no one has considered a third way when it comes to the monarchy/republic debate. Why not privatise the whole thing, plenty of people would be willing to support the institution voluntarily, you get to keep the pageantry and associated history but still have a democratically elected head of state who is directly responsible for his/her actions....

Just a passing thought

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2022, 09:00:26 PM »
I've always wondered why no one has considered a third way when it comes to the monarchy/republic debate. Why not privatise the whole thing, plenty of people would be willing to support the institution voluntarily, you get to keep the pageantry and associated history but still have a democratically elected head of state who is directly responsible for his/her actions....

Just a passing thought

Bravo, great idea. If they are that popular their fans will be happy to subsidise them. Tourist attractions will also want to contribute given the amount of tourism they allegedly bring.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 38 queries.