Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Music For The Queen's Funeral March  (Read 3539 times)

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Music For The Queen's Funeral March
« on: September 20, 2022, 10:40:24 AM »
I was watching the Queen's funeral yesterday, and it was  particularly emotional for me as my great uncle was at her coronation, he was also ADC to the Queen and to her father the King before her. As the coffin began the procession, lead by the Bagpipers, I recognized the music being as The Mist Covered Mountains, which of course is on the Local Hero soundtrack. It must have been a favourite of the Queen, we know she loved the Bagpipes.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: Music For The Queen's Funeral March
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 12:46:45 PM »
I also watched, but I didn't notice this fragment. The alone piper was also very touching.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 12:53:43 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 01:07:58 PM »
I was watching the Queen's funeral yesterday, and it was  particularly emotional for me as my great uncle was at her coronation, he was also ADC to the Queen and to her father the King before her. As the coffin began the procession, lead by the Bagpipers, I recognized the music being as The Mist Covered Mountains, which of course is on the Local Hero soundtrack. It must have been a favourite of the Queen, we know she loved the Bagpipes.

I also noticed it!  I also thought I heard a fragment from A Shot At Glory.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 01:10:12 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 01:20:05 PM »
Which track?
Clear as the day

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 01:45:40 PM »

I also noticed it!  I also thought I heard a fragment from A Shot At Glory.

Maybe Wild Mountain Thyme? Together with The Mist Covered Mountains are traditional songs, so that would make sense.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 01:47:56 PM »
I didn't notice that at all, mind you it was very long drawn out!!!
I think the day was touching/moving to everyone 'worldwide' to be fair whether you had met the Queen or not etc....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 01:50:05 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 03:05:59 PM »
Which track?

It was only a tiny fragment which made me recognise something from A Shot At Glory, but to be honest the bagpipes all sound very similar to me.   The lone piper was very touching, I agree, and brought tears to my eyes.   I also enjoyed hearing The Flowers Of The Forest, which was played during the day.

I watched the whole of the funeral with my husband, all the way through to the ceremony of interment at Windsor and we hardly said a word to each other - we were so immersed in the whole thing. 

I was ten years old when the Queen was crowned in 1953 and she has been a constant for 70 years.  I will miss her very much. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 03:11:47 PM »
Which track?

It was only a tiny fragment which made me recognise something from A Shot At Glory, but to be honest the bagpipes all sound very similar to me.   The lone piper was very touching, I agree, and brought tears to my eyes.   I also enjoyed hearing The Flowers Of The Forest, which was played during the day.

I watched the whole of the funeral with my husband, all the way through to the ceremony of interment at Windsor and we hardly said a word to each other - we were so immersed in the whole thing. 

I was ten years old when the Queen was crowned in 1953 and she has been a constant for 70 years.  I will miss her very much.

:thumbsup
Clear as the day

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 09:19:55 AM »
I also watched the whole thing Val. The lone Piper was very touching. The Flowers of The Forest is a great tune, Mike Oldfield has a wonderful version on his Voyager album.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 02:01:43 PM »
what is an "ADC"? ( i had first read ACDC and was very confused)
i may be one of the few people on earth (who own a tv set) who did not watch the event. too busy at work after 2 weeks of holiday. have not seen any images from it either (moving ones i mean)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 08:53:46 PM »
Which track?

Absolutely.  She was a very special lady.  I went to see her arrive at St Giles in Edinburgh.  Very moving.

Can't say I noticed any Knopfler music.  I was enjoying Beethoven's Funeral March - I think that's a great piece.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2022, 08:21:00 AM »
i may be one of the few people on earth (who own a tv set) who did not watch the event. too busy at work after 2 weeks of holiday. have not seen any images from it either (moving ones i mean)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aide-de-camp#United_Kingdom

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2022, 08:41:43 AM »
Which track?

Absolutely.  She was a very special lady.  I went to see her arrive at St Giles in Edinburgh.  Very moving.

Can't say I noticed any Knopfler music.  I was enjoying Beethoven's Funeral March - I think that's a great piece.

Yes, she was very special indeed.   I thought of you, dmg, and I was certain you would be in Edinburgh to see the procession.   I watched it on TV and it was a lovely surprise to see Karen Matheson singing Psalm 118 in Gaelic.   I love that Beethoven Funeral March too, in fact it's still going around in my head! It is also played at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday.

I must make a note to visit St Giles the next time I'm in Edinburgh.  It looked beautiful.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 05:17:31 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2022, 04:28:59 PM »

aaah, had you said Aide-de-camp then i would have understood. thnx still
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2022, 10:28:49 AM »

:thumbsup

aaah, had you said Aide-de-camp then i would have understood. thnx still

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 38 queries.