Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New record during the passage of the BIA tour in Australia in 1986.  (Read 8024 times)

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
Re: New record during the passage of the BIA tour in Australia in 1986.
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2023, 03:05:47 PM »

One more segment uploaded. Seems to be Auckland (as Mark sings during SFA)
Maybe the best so far:
- Ride across the river
- Expresso love
- Industrial disease
- So far away - wow!
- R&J
- Private investigations
- Sultans

Very smiley Mark, like going back in time, this one

John on acoustic guitar in So Far Away, never noticed that before!

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2023, 03:21:34 PM »

One more segment uploaded. Seems to be Auckland (as Mark sings during SFA)
Maybe the best so far:
- Ride across the river
- Expresso love
- Industrial disease
- So far away - wow!
- R&J
- Private investigations
- Sultans

Very smiley Mark, like going back in time, this one

So we've seen the first part of the concert!
And the part containing part of MfN, BiA and ToL
Hopefully the rest of the concert will follow.

The song order on setlist.fm is totally off, but if the songs are right we will hopefully see these soon:
Why Worry
Walk of Life
Two Young Lovers
Telegraph Road (!!!)
Solid Rock
Going Home

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2023, 04:59:20 PM »
This show certainly has this sequence in its set:

ride across the river
express love
industrial disease
just far away
Romeo and Juliet
Private investigations
sultans of swing
why worry
walk of life
two young lovers
money for nothing
brothers in arms
tunnel of love
telegraph road
solid rock
going home

Judging by the fact that Industrial Disease was played
already in the third concert of 1986, (12.02.1986 Westlake Stadium Adelaide Australia), so, it must be in the setlist of practically almost all the shows of 86. I believe that in a few occasions they alternated Industrial Disease by One World and Your Latest Trick by Telegraph Road at over 50 concerts in 1986.
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2023, 09:02:30 AM »
the guy that taped this show (and three others, for which he was not allowed audio by the band) was the guy normally filming for the big screens wherever they had/needed them during the tour down under.
He has promised to look for any missing material (e.g. TR) and share as soon as there is clarity on the opinion of PCM (they are now in touch)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2023, 02:15:43 PM »
the guy that taped this show (and three others, for which he was not allowed audio by the band) was the guy normally filming for the big screens wherever they had/needed them during the tour down under.
He has promised to look for any missing material (e.g. TR) and share as soon as there is clarity on the opinion of PCM (they are now in touch)

That is very interesting information, thanks a lot.  Let's hope we get some more material and that PCM look kindly on this - after all the audio on this is pretty ropey to be honest and this will be of interest to only die hard fans in terms of minor differences between material already out there in the scheme of things.

PCM would best focus efforts on the seemingly endless stream of 'radio broadcast' releases on CD that now pervade mainstream music stores - I see yet another 8CD set is due for release this week on Juno.  Either that or actually release some of these shows officially to satisfy demand.

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2023, 12:37:15 PM »
Hi Bruno Nunnes
Wow, absolutely amazing video-stuff from down under show in 1986. :thumbsup
But, listen very carefully to SFA Calypso-Version. Mark sings clearly Now i´m here again in Auckland-Town". So, your mentioned idea with the Adelaide-Gig in Westlake-Stadium could be false.
It was a cream of Mark, to change "mean old town" to the current city, where they had been played.
Try to compare the Sydney-recording, the Christchurch-recording, or, maybe, some other gigs in 1985, where SFA was played. Mark replaced that originally phrase from the SFA-lyrics into the concert cities names.
Maybe it is a useful hint for more information on the new discovered Australia video-footage. :think

According to my knowledge, and according to the tourdates in the BIA Live in 85/86 Tourbook by Dire Straits, they played three open-air shows in March 1986 in New Zealand. In Christchurch, in Auckland and in Wellington. I own an original promotion-poster from that NZ-Gigs in my collection. Jeroen has the complete Christchurch Gig as audio-source incl. Telegraph road. Sound is not the best, so i hope he can organize or produce a much better sounding-data in the near future. It will be worth it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 12:44:54 PM by Klaus74 »
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2023, 12:48:15 PM »
This is the mentioned Live in 86 NZ-Promo-Poster by Dire Straits, dated on March 1986.
We are fools to make war

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2023, 06:14:15 PM »
Hi Bruno Nunnes
Wow, absolutely amazing video-stuff from down under show in 1986. :thumbsup
But, listen very carefully to SFA Calypso-Version. Mark sings clearly Now i´m here again in Auckland-Town". So, your mentioned idea with the Adelaide-Gig in Westlake-Stadium could be false.
It was a cream of Mark, to change "mean old town" to the current city, where they had been played.
Try to compare the Sydney-recording, the Christchurch-recording, or, maybe, some other gigs in 1985, where SFA was played. Mark replaced that originally phrase from the SFA-lyrics into the concert cities names.
Maybe it is a useful hint for more information on the new discovered Australia video-footage. :think

According to my knowledge, and according to the tourdates in the BIA Live in 85/86 Tourbook by Dire Straits, they played three open-air shows in March 1986 in New Zealand. In Christchurch, in Auckland and in Wellington. I own an original promotion-poster from that NZ-Gigs in my collection. Jeroen has the complete Christchurch Gig as audio-source incl. Telegraph road. Sound is not the best, so i hope he can organize or produce a much better sounding-data in the near future. It will be worth it.

I don't understand your post, Klaus74, there is no doubt this footage was taken in Auckland-Town, 01.03.86. I don't remember suggesting that this show was in Adelaide-Gig and if I did, it was a hypothesis at a time when we still didn't have the video for So Far Away available, where it is clear Mark singing the name of the city, there is two weeks since the part that says So Far Away was posted, then l, two weeks ago we know that it was on 01.03.1986 Mount Smart Stadium Auckland New Zealand.

You're a little late, man.
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2023, 06:04:14 PM »
Hi Bruno.
Yes, now i have it relized for myself. Sorry for my confusion and irritation in this thread.  ??? I was so overwhelmed to see such "new" material from Australia-Leg of the BIA Tour 1986.  8)
We are fools to make war

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 36 queries.