Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New for 2024  (Read 62360 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: New for 2023
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2023, 11:23:29 AM »
Guy:

... ... ... Just about to start mixing but still some tweaks and overdubs going on.

We are still doing overdubs but mixing is just around the corner. We just had two fun days of Backing vocals with Tamsin and Emma Topolski
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2023, 12:13:18 PM »
And a diary is finally coming, thnx to some Dutchessy guy  ::)
I'm not sure if he is being sarcastic with me now, or that hey really thinks we deserve an update, and are SO patient.

GF: I am gearing up to do it now. Thanks for being SO patient. You are due an update…..
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 12:23:53 PM by Dutchessy »
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2023, 02:28:01 PM »
And a diary is finally coming, thnx to some Dutchessy guy  ::)
I'm not sure if he is being sarcastic with me now, or that hey really thinks we deserve an update, and are SO patient.

GF: I am gearing up to do it now. Thanks for being SO patient. You are due an update…..

Don't trust that Dutchessy guy

;D  :lol

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2023, 04:23:36 PM »
My impression (emphasize *impresssion*, I don't read his mind) is that he cares. Sometimes I wonder about the words too, but I feel pretty sure that he is trying. "It's complicated". His words, once I asked about it.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2023, 04:54:35 PM »
I also think that he wasn't sarcastic. Hopefully a new diary SOON then  ;)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2023, 05:43:02 PM »
I always thought the mixing started when everything was recorded  :think
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2023, 06:41:06 PM »

That's true, but they are still doing overdubs and little tweaks as Guy said. So still recording... but mixing is just around the corner, what means... soon  ;)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2023, 06:44:50 PM »

That's true, but they are still doing overdubs and little tweaks as Guy said. So still recording... but mixing is just around the corner, what means... soon  ;)

:thumbsup

I'm looking forward :)
Clear as the day

OfflineSlowLearner

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2023, 04:33:36 PM »
The new Mark Knopfler album, whenever it comes out, has all the reasons in the world to be a great record and it better be. It may sound a little bit unfair, but we have all the right in the world to feel that way.
This might be one of the longest gaps ever between albums, both for MK and Dire Straits. This has also got to be one of the longest recording sessions ever, that started getting more and more extended as time went by.
The great artists in history usually had (unfortunately) the greatest burst of creativy when at the brink of despair or tragedy.
This album has been rumored to happen for a while now, it's been years, and how quickly they went by. The wait and the anticipation for it is already long enough. The rumors about Mark not touring anymore creates an extra deal of hunger for new material.
Not only that, but since Mark's previous album and tour, we've had the pandemic (surrounded with all the things that went with it), the war, the Queen's passing and now recently the earthquakes in Turkey and Syria.
So much tragedy in the last few years, which is the perfect circumstance, an ideal setup if you will, or the playing field under which Mark usually thrives on the best. And as our hero, we really hope he delivers. Especially since we don't know if this'll be his last album ever. I mean, you never know.
Hope he also finishes and dusts off some of his many years old songs we never heard about, since they are usually very good whenever they get finally finished. I'm also very intrigued to see what are the kinds of subjects and topics Mark's interested in nowadays, what kinds of ones will he use this time to express himself. What will he compare his musical style or songwriting process to this time? If he was gonna sing songs about some of the recent tragedies in the world, he certainly wasn't gonna do it in obvious fashion, since he never did that. So what's he gonna compare it to, or should I say what kind of parallels will he make this time? Or maybe we might see a more personal MK this time, leaving a great mark on his entire career in reflective ways but also as a sort of a tribute, where he's gonna pay homage to his Straits days but also for his own entire career as a musician. Maybe some touching words about retirement or some end-of-the-life type of deal, near-death experiences or assumptions or whatever. Maybe also some unique musical styles, maybe a return to some styles he hasn't done in a while.
The world needs him to "make a statement". The stage couldn't be set any better for him. I count on him to deliver.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2023, 05:22:34 PM »
"The world needs him to "make a statement".

:thumbsup Nice :)

I think some of the songs will be inspired by the books Mark has read.
Maybe about those two men who crossed the Atlantic.
Clear as the day

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2023, 01:05:19 PM »
Now without touring on the schedule, Mark can take all the time he needs for the next album.
The only thing I think about would be a contractual obligation toward the record company.
I don't know how much he is selling now but I guess that the pressure now is way lower than during the "success days".

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2023, 12:24:55 AM »
I hope it doesn't take TOO long. At some point, good enough is good enough. Like, anyone who ever wrote a book will know that it will never be perfect, and at some point you just have to say "let's print this sucker" if you have some confidence in that it's not garbage  ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2023, 05:26:20 PM »
I hope it doesn't take TOO long. At some point, good enough is good enough. Like, anyone who ever wrote a book will know that it will never be perfect, and at some point you just have to say "let's print this sucker" if you have some confidence in that it's not garbage  ;D

Yes - you can take too long doing overdubs to the point it sounds contrived. There's a lot to be said for spontaneity, in music especially. 
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2023, 06:55:04 PM »
The thing is, we think he's taking too long recording his new album, but maybe he's taking too long but he's not working on his record but doing other things...

It's like when he recorded STP, it took four years to be released, but if you sum the days he really spent working on songs, mixing etc, they spent maybe a couple of months, three or four. He used to say the same about the Emmylou record, it took six years or more starting from the sessions that happened during the STP recordings, but in the end they really spent a month or two if you sum all the days along these years.

I'm sure it's not overdubs what is making it that long for this new record either, but that he's busy with other things. Right now Guy is busy mixing the TCT project and he's been busy with Atmos mixes, MK had been, is and would be busy recording the TV show with Brian Johnson, and maybe they are working on other things we don't know.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2023, 07:15:06 PM »
The thing is, we think he's taking too long recording his new album, but maybe he's taking too long but he's not working on his record but doing other things...

It's like when he recorded STP, it took four years to be released, but if you sum the days he really spent working on songs, mixing etc, they spent maybe a couple of months, three or four. He used to say the same about the Emmylou record, it took six years or more starting from the sessions that happened during the STP recordings, but in the end they really spent a month or two if you sum all the days along these years.

I'm sure it's not overdubs what is making it that long for this new record either, but that he's busy with other things. Right now Guy is busy mixing the TCT project and he's been busy with Atmos mixes, MK had been, is and would be busy recording the TV show with Brian Johnson, and maybe they are working on other things we don't know.

I think so too. But most of all we're waiting for the MK album, so it's taking too long for us. But Mark doesn't think in our categories :)

There is no concert tour. The album can wait :(
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 07:19:27 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 38 queries.