Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Why Cameron Crowe hates Mark Knopfler  (Read 2495 times)

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
Re: Why Cameron Crowe hates Mark Knopfler
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2023, 01:31:33 AM »
I had no idea who Cameron Crowe was until I read this.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2023, 12:03:47 PM »
I had no idea who Cameron Crowe was until I read this.

Plenty of people have no idea who Mark Knopfler is. Anyone who knows about films knows Cameron Crowe’s work. He literally wrote the line “show me the money” which has entered into the lexicon!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2023, 12:11:55 PM »
I would like an explanation of this garbled tale too!   :hmm

Basically they badly needed a specific Peter Gabriel song tor a scene in a movie. Allegedly MK gave PG advice to squeeze as much cash as he could out of the film makers give  how badly they wanted to use his song. Hence the dislike for all things MK....

Good advice if you ask me!

Yeah, nothing wrong with that. It's tempting to use non-original songs in movies, video games and whatnot, but it shouldn't be cheap for sure. You wanna use it? YOU PAY!

Yes, fair price is OK, but it's not like the movie was a Hollywood blockbuster with an enormous budget and it's not like Peter Gabriel was a starving artist who really could use the money. Mark sounds cynical and greedy here, to be honest.

As it turned out, the song was used in what ended up being a famous and iconic moment in the film,  Uy I don’t think either PG or MK could have predicted this at the time, Cameron Crowe could have just gone and got another cheaper song and MK’s scheme would have backfired.

Anyhoo, apart from being a funny story, the most interesting thing here is that MK and PG were apparently friends.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2023, 09:14:09 AM »
were?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2023, 10:52:39 AM »
were?

OK, maybe still are/ Point is, this is the only connection I'm aware of other than a photo of them together at the Brit awards:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0465413/mediaviewer/rm2484156416

(Jealous of MK getting up close and personal with The Bangles!)

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2023, 11:44:56 AM »
were?

OK, maybe still are/ Point is, this is the only connection I'm aware of other than a photo of them together at the Brit awards:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0465413/mediaviewer/rm2484156416

(Jealous of MK getting up close and personal with The Bangles!)

Cameron was married to Nancy Wilson(Heart) so he does/did have some taste!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 12:46:23 PM »
Cameron Crowe is a famous director with a great past in music, when he was just a child he managed to travel with Led Zeppelin to write about their tour for Rolling Stone, the story is fictionated at his film "Almost famous" which is great.

All his films have music very very well selected, he's a big fan of music with a great taste, and also a very good director.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 01:32:25 PM »
Cameron Crowe is a famous director with a great past in music, when he was just a child he managed to travel with Led Zeppelin to write about their tour for Rolling Stone, the story is fictionated at his film "Almost famous" which is great.

All his films have music very very well selected, he's a big fan of music with a great taste, and also a very good director.

But either way, his attitude towards MK is pretty strange, to say the least. I have a pretty unpleasant aftertaste after hearing this story, Mark wasn't THAT bad.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2023, 01:59:21 PM »

But either way, his attitude towards MK is pretty strange, to say the least. I have a pretty unpleasant aftertaste after hearing this story, Mark wasn't THAT bad.

He and the hosts were laughing about it and having fun, it's a funny story, don't take it so seriously. :)

By the way, it's a good podcast in general. One of the hosts was basically the first to publish the allegations against R Kelly and followed them through all the way.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2023, 02:01:55 PM »
Just found this, CC rates Local Hero as his 4th favourite piece of movie music ever:

https://www.theuncool.com/journalism/cameron-crowes-top-10-or-so-music-moments-in-film/

OfflineRivers Of Rain

• Guitar George
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2023, 09:27:54 PM »

Yes, I saw Almost Famous for the first time a couple of years ago and I noticed that there are four or five Led Zeppelin tracks used in the film, which is unusual for them as they rarely allow their songs to be used in movies. I think it's a great film - without wishing to give anything away for those who haven't seen it, it has a poignant story and a wonderful cast (I especially love Philip Seymour Hoffman's turn as Lester Bangs). Another bonus of watching this film is that it drew the rest of my family's attention to several songs I'd loved for years.
I got shot off my horse, so what I'm up again...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 36 queries.