Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Sleep Time  (Read 1359 times)

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Sleep Time
« on: January 19, 2023, 11:10:48 AM »
I was listening to 5 Live today and they were talking about a study in Denmark about music that help people sleep, they analyzed sleep playlists from Spotify, and the likes of BTS and Ed Sheeran were at the top, but also acoustic and instrumental music was popular, people were texting the show saying about the music they use to fall asleep too, and by far the most popular was Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler, he was not in the top 20 of the Danish study though, but it got me thinking about this, I don't fall asleep to music anymore, but used to in the past, and I often used Mark's music, as some of his tracks are very soothing, I used the Local Hero soundtrack for example, the tracks, Wild Theme, Whistle Theme, Smooching really worked for me. Does anyone have a sleep playlist?
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Sleep Time
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 11:35:06 AM »
I was listening to 5 Live today and they were talking about a study in Denmark about music that help people sleep, they analyzed sleep playlists from Spotify, and the likes of BTS and Ed Sheeran were at the top, but also acoustic and instrumental music was popular, people were texting the show saying about the music they use to fall asleep too, and by far the most popular was Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler, he was not in the top 20 of the Danish study though, but it got me thinking about this, I don't fall asleep to music anymore, but used to in the past, and I often used Mark's music, as some of his tracks are very soothing, I used the Local Hero soundtrack for example, the tracks, Wild Theme, Whistle Theme, Smooching really worked for me. Does anyone have a sleep playlist?

Shangri-La works for me, also Guy's Natural Selection.  Paul McCartney's Standing Stone has been pretty good for me too, although there is a loud bit in the middle that jogs me awake!     :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 11:39:51 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 11:40:07 AM »
Ha, just came here to post this!

Not sure it's a compliment, but good to hear DS and MK discussed on the radio :)

I don't listen to music to sleep anymore but I used to as a teenager, DS was good, also other chill stuff like Van Morrison.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 12:05:27 PM »
I have certainly never used music to send me to sleep but some of the later solo stuff has made it difficult to stay awake!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

hunter

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 12:49:22 PM »
I have certainly never used music to send me to sleep but some of the later solo stuff has made it difficult to stay awake!

Haha! Snoozefest. 14 hours of this:

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 03:00:42 PM »
I don't use MK's music to put me to sleep. But I've always used it in my travels around the world. Can't imagine going on a 2 hour train or plane without his music.
I've fallen asleep listening to synthwave, though.

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 03:04:21 PM »

Not so strange they mention DS/MK. We (Denmark) are such a small nation, 6 million people. In London alone you have almost 9 million in comparison :-)
Back in 2000 I think it was, Denmark was the most popular MK/DS country in the world, as every fifth person in the country would own a MK/DS album.
So I guess thats the reason they pop up still.

Cheers Peter

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 03:26:20 PM »

DS will still get played on certain radio stations here but in general there has been minimal promotion for either DS or MK since the early 90s, presumably because MK likes to keep a low profile and avoid the hassles of fame, which is fair enough.

Not so strange they mention DS/MK. We (Denmark) are such a small nation, 6 million people. In London alone you have almost 9 million in comparison :-)
Back in 2000 I think it was, Denmark was the most popular MK/DS country in the world, as every fifth person in the country would own a MK/DS album.
So I guess thats the reason they pop up still.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 08:29:03 PM »
when I was a teen, I often listened to the first side of the LOG album at night in bed
the TR intro works fine to feel in night mood imho
I had it on cassette, so its stopped alone even if felt asleep before the ending of PI
and the day after, I starded with the second side of the cassette. it worked very good to start a new day

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 08:46:18 PM »
I used to listen Dire straits at a volume level I could not fall asleep  :lol
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 09:16:39 PM »
I never listen to Mark's music to fall asleep. When I listen to MK or DS I listen very intensely.
I want to follow his words, hear his great guitar playing and his wonderful voice. No time to fall asleep.  ;)
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 09:20:36 PM »
I never listen to Mark's music to fall asleep. When I listen to MK or DS I listen very intensely.
I want to follow his words, hear his great guitar playing and his wonderful voice. No time to fall asleep.  ;)

Beautiful words. I have the same.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023, 06:45:39 PM »
I use the live recordings of Marbletown to get to sleep. I get a full eight hours and they’re just finishing the tune off when I awake……

Sorry….I am a fan of MT really.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 10:30:44 AM »
Ha. Yes, you could have the middle bit where John and Glen do plinky plonky stuff on loop. :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 40 queries.