Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: No Tour with the new album.  (Read 42741 times)

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
Re: No Tour with the new album.
« Reply #225 on: July 05, 2023, 09:14:54 PM »
In any case, we have to accept his decision to stop touring. Every time I saw him live, it was a highlight for me. These precious moments will stay in my memory forever and will never go away. After these long and hard years of touring Mark really deserves to slow down and enjoy life the way he wants to. And since we all know he still loves writing and recording, I'm sure he will do it as long as he's able to. Let's focus on great new music from our hero in the years to come.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #226 on: July 05, 2023, 09:21:36 PM »
In any case, we have to accept his decision to stop touring. Every time I saw him live, it was a highlight for me. These precious moments will stay in my memory forever and will never go away. After these long and hard years of touring Mark really deserves to slow down and enjoy life the way he wants to. And since we all know he still loves writing and recording, I'm sure he will do it as long as he's able to. Let's focus on great new music from our hero in the years to come.

That's a smart thought. I agree, but  sadness in the heart will remain a little.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #227 on: July 06, 2023, 08:01:39 PM »
The thing is for me that I lost interest in his studio albums.

Get Lucky is the last one I liked.

Unless Mark authorise unreleased stuff of the past, live or studio, the stroy is over for me.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #228 on: July 06, 2023, 08:41:45 PM »

Unless Mark authorise unreleased stuff of the past, live or studio, the stroy is over for me.

:(

I completely understand what you mean.  His latest albums have been very underwhelming as far as I'm concerned too, but there's always a few good songs in there as something to look forward to as well as the bonus tracks, which were excellent last time.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #229 on: July 06, 2023, 11:30:48 PM »

You have been saying this for many years 😜
How harsh about the albums! Privateering has KOG, YTC, DOTDS,... Tracker has Long cool girl, Taormina, TOTT,... And DTTW has One song at a time, which makes the album worth for it alone!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #230 on: July 07, 2023, 10:09:54 AM »
I find it strange given that all his records have sounded exactly the same for 20 years.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #231 on: July 07, 2023, 11:00:07 AM »

Really? Privateering, Tracker, Down The Road Wherever not? You weren't curious?
Clear as the day

hunter

« Reply #232 on: July 07, 2023, 12:13:10 PM »
I find it strange given that all his records have sounded exactly the same for 20 years.

"Exactly the same"? Hm. There have been recurring elements and similarities ("country-tinged blues with Celtic ornamentation" :) ), but overall I feel Mark's albums have pretty distinct vibes. My gripe, though, and I've said this before, I think his albums are too long. They really drag towards the end. And I'm an attentive listener who easily sits through whole albums, including jazz and classical concerts.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #233 on: July 07, 2023, 12:55:36 PM »

"Exactly the same"? Hm. There have been recurring elements and similarities ("country-tinged blues with Celtic ornamentation" :) ), but overall I feel Mark's albums have pretty distinct vibes. My gripe, though, and I've said this before, I think his albums are too long. They really drag towards the end. And I'm an attentive listener who easily sits through whole albums, including jazz and classical concerts.

Well, I think it's absolutely true. It seems like MK has found "the formula, " which is great. My mum said Mark's songs are all the same. I think it's a compliment.

Rather than trying to knock your socks off, and outsmart every songwriter in existence, Mark is silently doing his thing, crafting beautiful songs.

I sometimes think he's a goddamn classical composer, the way you need to carefully listen and analyse his music to get the most out of it.

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #234 on: July 07, 2023, 02:01:48 PM »

Oh, I feel sorry for you! Do you really think that all of his work sound the same for 20 years? Not to me!
Even after many years of listening there is always something new to discover.
Have you ever listened to all of the great bonus tracks? I'm sure you did. Aren't there any gems to discover?
For me all of his albums have a different sound. I don't think Tracker and DTRW sound the same or Shangri-La and Get Lucky. Just to name a few.
They have all Mark's distinctiv touch but have all its own character which makes them worth to listen very intensly.
I think Mark has never stopped being interested in new things, you can hear it on every album.
But if you look deep inside it's all his distinctive sound, lyrically and musically. Pure Mark Knopfler!  And that's what I like. I don't want him to sound different! 

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #235 on: July 07, 2023, 02:25:00 PM »

Oh, I feel sorry for you! Do you really think that all of his work sound the same for 20 years? Not to me!
Even after many years of listening there is always something new to discover.
Have you ever listened to all of the great bonus tracks? I'm sure you did. Aren't there any gems to discover?
For me all of his albums have a different sound. I don't think Tracker and DTRW sound the same or Shangri-La and Get Lucky. Just to name a few.
They have all Mark's distinctiv touch but have all its own character which makes them worth to listen very intensly.
I think Mark has never stopped being interested in new things, you can hear it on every album.
But if you look deep inside it's all his distinctive sound, lyrically and musically. Pure Mark Knopfler!  And that's what I like. I don't want him to sound different!

It's not a criticism, I like all his records to a greater or lesser degree, I just believe that the general production style has been the same for the vast majority of his solo career, to the extent that you could make a compilation for a non fan and they wouldn't be able to tell they were from different albums.

That's not the case with, say, Dire Straits, where with the exception of the first two records , they all have a distinct sound.

So I do find it surprising hat someone could like the albums up to Get Lucky and then not like them, unless you think his songwriting dropped off a cliff at that point.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #236 on: July 07, 2023, 05:14:45 PM »
Fully agree with Dusty, actually I made a compilation of MK solo stuff that I usually listen in random and all songs fit well with the next and you could take them and made a cd just randomly and will work well.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #237 on: July 07, 2023, 06:58:58 PM »
I agree with both of you!
I also made a few playlists with songs from different albums and they fit together very well and sound beautiful to me. The man could sing the phone book...... ;D

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #238 on: July 07, 2023, 07:05:24 PM »
"The man could sing the phone book....."

Precious Voice From Heaven  ;)
Clear as the day

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #239 on: July 07, 2023, 08:25:33 PM »

Unless Mark authorise unreleased stuff of the past, live or studio, the story is over for me.
You have been saying this for many years 😜
How harsh about the albums! Privateering has KOG, YTC, DOTDS,... Tracker has Long cool girl, Taormina, TOTT,... And DTTW has One song at a time, which makes the album worth for it alone!

Get Lucky is quite an old album.

I enjoyed a lot the 2010 tour and 2013 was my weirdest one.
I remember how sad I was at the time.

The thing with DireStraits and the first half of the solo career of Mark is that each album had really few skipper when not none.
So I tend to listen to them in full.
When I start to skip half of the album I can't say I ilke that album. 3 songs of interest per album are not enough when the name is Mark Knopfler.

Unless Mark authorise unreleased stuff of the past, live or studio, the story is over for me.

Really? Privateering, Tracker, Down The Road Wherever not? You weren't curious?

I listened to them but they did not make me happy.
And feeling happy after an album is the only thing I value.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 41 queries.