Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: No Tour with the new album.  (Read 42703 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: No Tour with the new album.
« Reply #315 on: January 26, 2024, 12:00:37 PM »
I cried and hugged Ingrid at the end of RAH in 2019. I knew it was the end and that a huge part of my life was gone.

I joked with Ingrid at the exit of the Verona's show, last MK one in Europe, that in two years time Kitty would be so bored to see Mk hanging around the house that she will kick his ass out on tour for months!

Then the pandemic came and I guess that changed the whole game.

Possibly, but given the apparent physical issues I'm not sure if the pandemic actually made any difference in MK's case.

My hypothesis is that he felt way better at the NA leg of the 2019 tour and felt he might be able to keep playing live, but the pandemic, being closed at home for so long , seeing people close to him dying, and with whatever health issues he would had, maybe was worth to keep calm at home and his desire to keep playing together with the health issues made that desire to fade out completely.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #316 on: January 26, 2024, 05:06:49 PM »
Yeah, also my thoughts.
Maybe without Covid we could have had maybe some Gigs at RAH.
Love will find a Way

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #317 on: January 26, 2024, 05:23:33 PM »
I cried and hugged Ingrid at the end of RAH in 2019. I knew it was the end and that a huge part of my life was gone.

I joked with Ingrid at the exit of the Verona's show, last MK one in Europe, that in two years time Kitty would be so bored to see Mk hanging around the house that she will kick his ass out on tour for months!

Then the pandemic came and I guess that changed the whole game.

Possibly, but given the apparent physical issues I'm not sure if the pandemic actually made any difference in MK's case.

My hypothesis is that he felt way better at the NA leg of the 2019 tour and felt he might be able to keep playing live, but the pandemic, being closed at home for so long , seeing people close to him dying, and with whatever health issues he would had, maybe was worth to keep calm at home and his desire to keep playing together with the health issues made that desire to fade out completely.

I feel like since the pandemic the whole world has gone south. Politicians and decision-makers realised you could do with people anything you wanted, close the whole country if you wanted to, close the borders if you wanted to, stop flights, stop the shows, kill entire industries, give people any fines as you wished, and they would not say a thing about it. That mother-tucking pandemic definitely contributed to the downfall of many things, including the accelerated downfall of my own country. The world will never be the same after it just like after 9/11. Needless to say, Mark's theoretical breakdown might be just a small consequence of all this.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #318 on: January 26, 2024, 05:55:44 PM »
If I remember correctly, Mark doing his anouncement in Barcelona was heartbreaking for him.
I can imagine he decided to do it but wasn't expecting that effect on himself when it happened.
Maybe it was a rare moment of Mark being so openly true about himself.
After that he turned it into something more positive by doing it one of the usual jokes he does on a tour.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #319 on: January 26, 2024, 05:57:32 PM »
It might also be that he needs a "good day" to perform on a stage, and that he has both good and bad days. If you record an album, you can postpone stuff a day or two if necessary, if you do a live show... not so much.

Not sure when the guitar parts to the new single were recorded, but if he could do that every day nowadays he could also do a show - the tone is still there. But one day might be like that, and the next day his hands might be all shaky.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #320 on: January 26, 2024, 06:03:31 PM »
It might also be that he needs a "good day" to perform on a stage, and that he has both good and bad days. If you record an album, you can postpone stuff a day or two if necessary, if you do a live show... not so much.

Not sure when the guitar parts to the new single were recorded, but if he could do that every day nowadays he could also do a show - the tone is still there. But one day might be like that, and the next day his hands might be all shaky.

You're probably right.  He was like that on tour in 2019.  Some shows were still of a high standard, although few and far between.  We had some of the very best Speedways ever played on some nights; one of the Woodinville shows was standout.  Other nights he was struggling or decided to cut the solo short, such as in Paris.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #321 on: January 26, 2024, 06:25:16 PM »

When he's writing new songs he can make the guitar parts align with his current ability. When he plays live, people want to hear the classic songs, which he may feel he can't do justice any more.

OfflineWario

• Guitar George
  • Don’t crash the ambulance, whatever you do
« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2024, 07:57:37 PM »

When he's writing new songs he can make the guitar parts align with his current ability. When he plays live, people want to hear the classic songs, which he may feel he can't do justice any more.
I think the main mistake of the last tour was making it so intense, that probably exhausted him too much and made him think "I'm too old for this", but I think that on a "good day" (as you have rightly said before) he could do a show, even some isolated dates. I think he should go out and have fun playing what he likes to play and what he feels comfortable with. It's hard to lose a skill you've had your entire adult life and Mark may be a little rusty but he's still better than other musicians of a similar age (Phil Collins, sadly).
It's all about the music.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #323 on: January 27, 2024, 10:31:30 AM »

I think the main mistake of the last tour was making it so intense, that probably exhausted him too much and made him think "I'm too old for this",

My impression was they knew it was going to be the last proper tour before it even started. It was longer and more comprehensive BECAUSE it was going to be the last tour.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #324 on: January 27, 2024, 10:41:04 AM »
Phil Collins situation is because he had several surgeries of the back and other related issues.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #325 on: January 27, 2024, 11:20:09 AM »
In the UK, we have some venues where people seem to play on their “way down” (as well as “one hit wonders.”

I live quite near The Stables in Milton Keynes. It’s a great venue. I’ve seen, amongst other people, Ginger Baker and Joe Brown there. Two people that once played bigger venues but now can comfortably play in a place like this. (400 odd seats I think.)
Other names that pop up there include John Ilsley, Ralph McTell and Steve Harley. It seems a good “on your way up” and “on your way down” venue if that makes sense.
At least Mark was still playing the RAH and MSG on his last tour. He’d probably have to work a lot harder in a smaller venue though. Can’t surround himself with folkies and brass to supplement his playing.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #326 on: January 27, 2024, 11:25:54 AM »

I think the main mistake of the last tour was making it so intense, that probably exhausted him too much and made him think "I'm too old for this",

My impression was they knew it was going to be the last proper tour before it even started. It was longer and more comprehensive BECAUSE it was going to be the last tour.

I would guess that performing MFN again was the gift he made to the audience anticipating that it will be the last chance to hear him.
Of course this is only my opinion no proof.

Another reason could be he was simply in the mood to perform it, was searching for a golden hit to replace the absence of both SOS and TR.
I still wonder how an artist decide of a setlist and the order of it.

I mean they are concious of high and low times of the show toward the audience and that is somewhat artisticly managed.

I would say that the 2005 tour had featured the strongest final part of the main show, the triplet  Boom, Like That - Speedway at Nazareth - Telegraph Road sending the gig to it paroxismical point.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #327 on: January 27, 2024, 11:38:52 AM »
In the UK, we have some venues where people seem to play on their “way down” (as well as “one hit wonders.”

I live quite near The Stables in Milton Keynes. It’s a great venue. I’ve seen, amongst other people, Ginger Baker and Joe Brown there. Two people that once played bigger venues but now can comfortably play in a place like this. (400 odd seats I think.)
Other names that pop up there include John Ilsley, Ralph McTell and Steve Harley. It seems a good “on your way up” and “on your way down” venue if that makes sense.
At least Mark was still playing the RAH and MSG on his last tour. He’d probably have to work a lot harder in a smaller venue though. Can’t surround himself with folkies and brass to supplement his playing.

I guess he MSG was an exception, 20 000 seat capacity in US were not being the norm for Mark after the DS days.

On the other hand the 4 000 seat capacity of the RAH was also an exception for the usual UK & Europe touring scheme,
I would say that Mark average venue in UK & Europe were toward 8 000 /10 000 attendance capacity,
Of course you always get exceptions here and there.
Especially as Mark does not bring a big stage set with him, it is only a musician set and it allows to easily play various size. 

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
« Reply #328 on: January 27, 2024, 03:42:09 PM »

I would guess that performing MFN again was the gift he made to the audience anticipating that it will be the last chance to hear him.
Of course this is only my opinion no proof.

Another reason could be he was simply in the mood to perform it, was searching for a golden hit to replace the absence of both SOS and TR.
I still wonder how an artist decide of a setlist and the order of it.

I remember Guy saying that Mark asked him for suggestions, and he suggested MFN.

MFN sounded fine, but the true gem in 2019 was Once Upon a Time in the West. That was, by far, the best song of the evening for me, and there are some great versions, like New York, on Youtube.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #329 on: January 27, 2024, 03:53:58 PM »

I remember Guy saying that Mark asked him for suggestions, and he suggested MFN.

MFN sounded fine, but the true gem in 2019 was Once Upon a Time in the West. That was, by far, the best song of the evening for me, and there are some great versions, like New York, on Youtube.
[/quote]

I thought Once Upon a Time in the West was poor in 2019.  I was so pleased it had made it back into the set but they never built upon the potential.  The song relied too much on the brass instruments and just went nowhere at the end with absolutely zero energy.  I also hated the tone of Mark's Les Paul on this song.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 39 queries.