Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: No Tour with the new album.  (Read 42669 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: No Tour with the new album.
« Reply #345 on: January 28, 2024, 04:54:20 PM »
I think that the explanation is far simpler: many songs, like Metroland and Ride Across the River, have most likely not been considered whatsoever.

That's an even uglier truth, I agree. The example with Taormina always made me chuckle and laugh because in this Universe you imagine a songwriter, whoever he is, that had just written a song about your city, to at least mention it in your city, and better yet — perform. Especially when the song is a fan-favourite from the album. If there were awards for the poor choice of songs to perform from the album, that omission must take the cake. If only, again, it was easier to sing! The song's is a freaking Sinatra classic, no way Mark can sing it live.

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #346 on: January 28, 2024, 04:58:19 PM »
Judging from the stale setlists, they seem to have been using previous tours as blueprints to which they have added a couple of songs from the new album, and a couple of old songs, and that's it. That was a new tour after 2007.

The real mystery is why seemingly obvious choices like singles or songs performed at promo gigs, such as Beryl, never made it into the set. Another tune that seemed destined for a tour was Punish the Monkey, but alas!

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #347 on: January 28, 2024, 04:59:35 PM »
I think that the explanation is far simpler: many songs, like Metroland and Ride Across the River, have most likely not been considered whatsoever.

Yes, most likely so. And my point was that by not playing Metroland given the obvious conditions in 2019 it was a missed opportunity. Nothing more, nothing less. :)
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
« Reply #348 on: January 28, 2024, 05:02:08 PM »

Yes, most likely so. And my point was that by not playing Metroland given the obvious conditions in 2019 it was a missed opportunity. Nothing more, nothing less. :)

Sure, it was a missed opportunity.

And with the folkies around for years, why no Iron Hand, why no Man's too Strong...? Because it HAD to be Bonaparte  ;D

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #349 on: January 28, 2024, 05:04:58 PM »
MK always seemed to be a total anti-Springsteen.

The more a song was requested or buzzed around, it seemed less likely to get played live.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #350 on: January 28, 2024, 05:47:40 PM »
MK always seemed to be a total anti-Springsteen.

The more a song was requested or buzzed around, it seemed less likely to get played live.

*laughs in twiddly bits*

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #351 on: January 28, 2024, 06:07:25 PM »

That's an even uglier truth, I agree. The example with Taormina always made me chuckle and laugh because in this Universe you imagine a songwriter, whoever he is, that had just written a song about your city, to at least mention it in your city, and better yet — perform. Especially when the song is a fan-favourite from the album. If there were awards for the poor choice of songs to perform from the album, that omission must take the cake. If only, again, it was easier to sing! The song's is a freaking Sinatra classic, no way Mark can sing it live.

even "Seattle" was not played in Seattle.... but it was played in other venues !  :smack

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #352 on: January 28, 2024, 06:20:08 PM »

even "Seattle" was not played in Seattle.... but it was played in other venues !  :smack

"Mark Knopfler's way"

;D

This is another reason to think that Mark and Bob Dylan are actual brothers. Either Mark just trying to replicate his Bobness in his remarkable ability to always make crazy setlist selections, changing his songs, arrangements and lyrics on the fly, or they both are just masters at this craft, lost for any other singer-songwriter. But either way, it's quite astonishing how both of them, with one being so static, and the other being the complete opposite of static, generate so much controversy about their setlists. I guess you just can't be a genius at everything.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 06:31:19 PM by quizzaciously »

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #353 on: January 29, 2024, 12:33:08 AM »
Marks setlists are the oposite of controversial. I guess most fans are very happy with his concerts and choices. Remember, his fanbase is enormous and couldn’t care less about Seattle or Taormina. To me he seems professional and just want to put on a great show that pleases the masses.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #354 on: January 29, 2024, 07:31:30 AM »
Marks setlists are the oposite of controversial. I guess most fans are very happy with his concerts and choices. Remember, his fanbase is enormous and couldn’t care less about Seattle or Taormina. To me he seems professional and just want to put on a great show that pleases the masses.

Yes, Mark is so professional, that Guy needed to ban setlist questions on his forum. No doubt Mark is good at pleasing the general audience, his answers to questions we just discussed earlier in another thread are a good example. Ah, the beloved blowing up the radio story, the first guitar story, I could listen to it another million times (no).

A little fan service would be nice, you know. Sometimes fans get it. SOMETIMES. Most of the time not, and this is where frustration (or controversy) comes from. Bob, on the other hand, delivers the songs fans want to hear, though he changes everything about the song they grew up loving, so it's like hearing a new song. I don't know what's worse.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #355 on: January 29, 2024, 11:45:15 AM »
To me he seems professional and just want to put on a great show that pleases the masses.

That, but there is also a dollop of songs he wants to play.
Many of his most popular songs he obviously doesn't want to play, like Money For Nothing and Twisting By The Pool.
No criticism on my part, he SHOULD play songs he wants to play.

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
« Reply #356 on: January 29, 2024, 02:32:43 PM »
The way he says "we love to play the old songs" really sounds like he actually doesn't.Personally i have always liked the setlists with the exception of when sultans was swopped for sonny liston.No issue with Sultans going as he couldn't any more but there are dozens of songs id rather had heard.Interestingly the last tour was actually quite Dire Straits heavy. 

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #357 on: January 29, 2024, 03:02:29 PM »
Interestingly the last tour was actually quite Dire Straits heavy.

Because I think they knew it was going to be the last major outing.

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
« Reply #358 on: January 29, 2024, 06:27:34 PM »
The way he says "we love to play the old songs" really sounds like he actually doesn't.Personally i have always liked the setlists with the exception of when sultans was swopped for sonny liston.No issue with Sultans going as he couldn't any more but there are dozens of songs id rather had heard.Interestingly the last tour was actually quite Dire Straits heavy.

Well, not compared to most tours, when they did SOS and TR in addition to most of the songs in 2019. What was unique in 2019 was the long, long stretch of slow songs in the middle of the set, something unlike anything Mark has ever done. That was testing to a large arena audience.

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #359 on: January 29, 2024, 08:16:53 PM »
Not sure, but I could imagine that playing almost every day means less time to think of something new to play. But it has to be somewhat boring to just repeat the same over and over again. I could get the excitement at the start of the tour, but once you know everything works, the thrill can't be just the same.

At least he used to play Portobello Belle in Ireland a few times post-1983 :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 39 queries.