Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: No Tour with the new album.  (Read 42650 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: No Tour with the new album.
« Reply #360 on: January 29, 2024, 09:07:16 PM »
Not sure, but I could imagine that playing almost every day means less time to think of something new to play. But it has to be somewhat boring to just repeat the same over and over again. I could get the excitement at the start of the tour, but once you know everything works, the thrill can't be just the same.

At least he used to play Portobello Belle in Ireland a few times post-1983 :)

I saw him play it in Scotland in 1996 :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #361 on: January 30, 2024, 09:41:20 AM »
Not sure, but I could imagine that playing almost every day means less time to think of something new to play. But it has to be somewhat boring to just repeat the same over and over again. I could get the excitement at the start of the tour, but once you know everything works, the thrill can't be just the same.

The enjoyment playing live is entertaining thousands of people, also the professional satisfaction of doing a good job. You don't need to be playing new songs every few days or weeks to feel that way.
Any new song requires different equipment (guitars maybe, keyboard sounds), different lighting schemes, maybe different settings for the out from sound. It's not as easy as just writing a new set list every few days. The artists who choose songs on a whim (Springsteen/Dylan) are not the kind most musicians want to work with. It's a kind if stressful scenario not knowing what you are doing from one day to the next.
Also, most artists at this level (like Mark) are not playing 'almost every day'.

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #362 on: January 30, 2024, 12:34:21 PM »

The enjoyment playing live is entertaining thousands of people, also the professional satisfaction of doing a good job. You don't need to be playing new songs every few days or weeks to feel that way.
Any new song requires different equipment (guitars maybe, keyboard sounds), different lighting schemes, maybe different settings for the out from sound. It's not as easy as just writing a new set list every few days. The artists who choose songs on a whim (Springsteen/Dylan) are not the kind most musicians want to work with. It's a kind if stressful scenario not knowing what you are doing from one day to the next.
Also, most artists at this level (like Mark) are not playing 'almost every day'.
Exactly! I am a (part time, but gigging) musician myself, and it’s very satisfying (and common) to contiousely enhance and develope the same songs and sets and making the performance better and better. I guess it’s the same with other art forms too, like acting and dancing. I am both a Dylan and Springsteen fan and seen countless concerts, but the best songs are almost always the songs they’re played the most.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #363 on: January 30, 2024, 12:47:02 PM »

Exactly! I am a (part time, but gigging) musician myself, and it’s very satisfying (and common) to contiousely enhance and develope the same songs and sets and making the performance better and better. I guess it’s the same with other art forms too, like acting and dancing. I am both a Dylan and Springsteen fan and seen countless concerts, but the best songs are almost always the songs they’re played the most.

I think it very much depends on your approach to performance. I've just watched Bruce Hornsby on BBC Piano room and it struck me how he is the complete antithesis of MK. Never plays the same song the same way twice, in fact is compelled to keep changing things up much to the occasional annoyance of his die hard fans. MK on the other hand finds what he likes and (certainly in the last 10 years or so) sticks to it.

Not passing judgement on either approach to live work, its just interesting...

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #364 on: January 30, 2024, 12:51:53 PM »
Each way is good, if every musician did things the same way it would be boring, it's the fact that artists do do things differently that makes things good.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #365 on: January 30, 2024, 01:09:02 PM »
Each way is good, if every musician did things the same way it would be boring, it's the fact that artists do do things differently that makes things good.

They just do what they are good at. If you're good at improvising and creating gold on the spot, you improvise. If you're a perfectionist and don't want to "make your mistakes in public" like Mark often says, you stick to things. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, that works for any artist. Mark always plays it VERY safely, providing only minor changes to things, including his setlists. Add a horn, add a mandolin, add an old DS song here and there.

Again, our man of contrasts says he makes his mistakes in public, but in reality, avoids making such mistakes as much as possible.

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #366 on: January 30, 2024, 01:20:41 PM »
Again, our man of contrasts says he makes his mistakes in public, but in reality, avoids making such mistakes as much as possible.

I think he refers to the decisions, which he afterwards thinks to be mistakes. And possibly also the fact that there are some people, who like to analyze his every movement and habit...

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2024, 01:22:41 PM »
If you change things too much, or try new things, you're always at the risk of failing. Mark I think is committed to making sure everyone who attends his shows will have an equally high-quality experience, so when he's found something that works well, he sticks to it. Maybe playing a little too safe, but at least top quality is guaranteed.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #368 on: January 31, 2024, 10:11:59 PM »
Is Guy leaving the option open for a possible promo song or 2 with the release of the new album looking at the answer on a question a few days ago??? 

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #369 on: February 01, 2024, 11:05:56 AM »
Is Guy leaving the option open for a possible promo song or 2 with the release of the new album looking at the answer on a question a few days ago???

Seems reasonable. April is still a long time
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #370 on: February 01, 2024, 11:10:44 AM »

Can't find any answer from him that suggest that...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #371 on: February 01, 2024, 09:01:15 PM »

He's saying:.i don't know.
Could be me but if you ask about a new tour the answer is NO. It seems he leaves a small window open for some kind of promo activities..
But perhaps i'm reading to much in it

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #372 on: February 01, 2024, 09:48:16 PM »
I would take Guy's answer for what it is.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #373 on: February 02, 2024, 08:00:27 AM »

He's saying:.i don't know.
Could be me but if you ask about a new tour the answer is NO. It seems he leaves a small window open for some kind of promo activities..
But perhaps i'm reading to much in it

That's a NO in my opinion, but who knows if there is a less demanding song when it comes to guitar playing live in a radio and he feels secure to go and play...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #374 on: February 02, 2024, 08:42:46 AM »
I feel Mark has enough songs that he could put on low key shows, no lead guitar heavy songs, he could even do an unplugged show.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 39 queries.