Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: No Tour with the new album.  (Read 42654 times)

OfflineMorkY555

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: No Tour with the new album.
« Reply #375 on: February 02, 2024, 10:24:54 AM »
I feel Mark has enough songs that he could put on low key shows, no lead guitar heavy songs, he could even do an unplugged show.

Looking at how Mark handled the aucoustic during the Christie's interview and how he walks about in the PR snip close to the bridge, I honestly believe Mark is no longer physically able to really do what he wants. With friends in the studio they can take all the time to get things on tape and everybody would understand that one day may be better than others, but it looks to me that Mark is battling some rheumatic symptoms. If such is the case, then I can really feel for him not being able to have his body follow what he has in mind.....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #376 on: February 02, 2024, 11:14:13 AM »
I feel Mark has enough songs that he could put on low key shows, no lead guitar heavy songs, he could even do an unplugged show.

Looking at how Mark handled the aucoustic during the Christie's interview and how he walks about in the PR snip close to the bridge, I honestly believe Mark is no longer physically able to really do what he wants. With friends in the studio they can take all the time to get things on tape and everybody would understand that one day may be better than others, but it looks to me that Mark is battling some rheumatic symptoms. If such is the case, then I can really feel for him not being able to have his body follow what he has in mind.....

He was in a seat, seated in a bad position to play, and probably hold a guitar that wasn't tuned for the song he tried to ply, so I won't take many conclussions of that.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMorkY555

• Guitar George
« Reply #377 on: February 02, 2024, 11:29:00 AM »

He was in a seat, seated in a bad position to play, and probably hold a guitar that wasn't tuned for the song he tried to ply, so I won't take many conclussions of that.

You are right. It's just that we all want to have this flow of beautiful music coming to us until the end of times, and then any indication things may come to an end gives me the shivers... Will stop speculating.

OfflineWario

• Guitar George
  • Don’t crash the ambulance, whatever you do
« Reply #378 on: February 06, 2024, 07:39:57 PM »
There is another thing I forgot to mention, before the concerts they do sound checks as a warm-up and that probably helps a lot. We'll see what happens.
It's all about the music.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #379 on: February 07, 2024, 09:55:47 AM »
There is another thing I forgot to mention, before the concerts they do sound checks as a warm-up and that probably helps a lot.

Soundchecks are usually around three hours before the show. So they might be a way of dusting off some cobwebs, but they don't act as a warm up. When I toured with Mark we hardly ever did a soundcheck.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #380 on: February 07, 2024, 10:33:36 AM »
Maybe not soundchecks so much but going by Guy's diaries they would have guitars for little warm ups in the dressing rooms.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #381 on: February 07, 2024, 05:37:40 PM »
Yeah, I always warmed up on a mini-kit 30 minutes before the show. Mark might do the same (according to Guy).
You don't want to start the show cold, stiff.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #382 on: February 07, 2024, 06:19:19 PM »
Chris, in a guitar mag 30 odd years ago, Ron Eve told the story of handing MK his guitar but there was some kind of accident and by the time he started playing the high E was out of tune. This made MK unhappy as you might expect. Do you recall this incident at all? As far as I'm aware it hasn't turned up on any of the bootlegs (yet).

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #383 on: February 07, 2024, 07:28:37 PM »
No, I don't remember that. I don't remember Mark having any tech failures on the tour....but I might have forgotten.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #384 on: February 07, 2024, 07:46:32 PM »
No, I don't remember that. I don't remember Mark having any tech failures on the tour....but I might have forgotten.

If that happened surely Ron would remember that hehehe

Lucky you that were high and far from that trouble, hehe
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #385 on: February 07, 2024, 09:00:10 PM »
It depends where and when. Could have been a rehearsal, a soundcheck, not on the OES tour?
If it was I can't remember it....but looong tour.

OfflineAlex_melilla

• Local Hero
« Reply #386 on: February 08, 2024, 01:51:38 PM »
New mk web format, there is no longer a tour section in the menu

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #387 on: February 08, 2024, 02:19:45 PM »

If that happened surely Ron would remember that hehehe

Lucky you that were high and far from that trouble, hehe

I'll dig the magazine out of the loft :)

OfflineIron Hand

• Guitar George
« Reply #388 on: February 11, 2024, 06:33:50 PM »
For me it was in 2019 already clear that it was his last tour and I enjoyed it as much as I can. And I know with a new album a lot of people were hoping for a new tour but we have to be realistic.

But why then he would change his speech from saying goodbye to saying "I'll play no matter what"? It was such a strange move from MK. Just mid-sentence change your mind and start telling the opposite, giving people false hope, a perfectly normal way of dealing with things, nothing strange.
I think if the pandemic hadn't happened, and an opportunity had presented itself to do another tour in 2020 or 2021, he might have done it while he was still riding the wave of appreciation (I remember the love in the room after he talked about wanting to stop touring, at the Stuttgart show) and feeling in good enough shape to do it as in 2019.

With the virus and everything grinding to a halt, I think he cemented his decision.
My hypothesis is that he felt way better at the NA leg of the 2019 tour and felt he might be able to keep playing live, but the pandemic, being closed at home for so long , seeing people close to him dying, and with whatever health issues he would had, maybe was worth to keep calm at home and his desire to keep playing together with the health issues made that desire to fade out completely.
I agree.  :wave
But: This really would have been the Chance to revive Ride across the River. With all those horns
And of course: Played on a Les Paul. Missed Chance
Or what about "Planet of New Orleans". I know it was dropped from the DS tour because it was too slow or something, but it would have fit right in on the 2019 tour imo... Well, can't have everything. I'm just glad I did get to see him when it was possible.
"I don't know how you came to get the Bette Davis kneeees"

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #389 on: February 11, 2024, 10:07:15 PM »
PONO in 2019 would have been a disaster.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 39 queries.