Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Expanded version of Alchemy  (Read 1627 times)

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
Expanded version of Alchemy
« on: January 22, 2023, 11:12:40 AM »
Not sure if anyone noticed or this has been picked up elsewhere, but Guy has answered "Yes (I believe)" to whether there will be an expanded version of Alchemy in a question on his forum.

That could be really good if that is the case; the represses fro. 2015ish of the studio albums were very good imo, great if Alchemy gets the same job plus some extras. Was listening to the Paris show last night that Potobello is taken from and great if we got the full version of that song.

It is great he takes the time to answer questions. 

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Expanded version of Alchemy
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 11:56:12 AM »
I'm probably in the minority here but I couldn't care less about this.  The back and forth noodling between Mel and Mark does nothing for me in a musical sense so I can understand why they omitted it.

I listened to the Alchemy show a million times since the 80s and now having managed to compare it to bootlegs found it to be by far and away the best show of that tour.  No other show comes close.  Mark had matured so much as a guitarist by the time of the next tour it would really be something from there that would interest me and this recent Aukland '86 video has been like a new release for me.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 12:58:47 PM »
Don't take what Guy says serioulsy. You can count on him for questions related to sound engineering, producing and keyboards. But when it comes to new releases and stuff like this, he's been answering them ambiguously since Tutankhamun was still around in Egypt.

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 07:12:31 PM »
I expected a couple of years ago when they released a remastered version of “Alchemy” they would had included the missing songs “Industrial Disease”, “Twisting by the Pool” and “Portobello Belle”. For now I don’t think we will ever see / hear these songs or get an expended version of the album.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 07:20:45 PM by Marnix »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 07:57:19 PM »
Don't take what Guy says serioulsy. You can count on him for questions related to sound engineering, producing and keyboards. But when it comes to new releases and stuff like this, he's been answering them ambiguously since Tutankhamun was still around in Egypt.

We did get that new edited version of Portobello Belle on the MFN compilation.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 09:07:36 PM »
I'm probably in the minority here but I couldn't care less about this.  The back and forth noodling between Mel and Mark does nothing for me in a musical sense so I can understand why they omitted it.

I listened to the Alchemy show a million times since the 80s and now having managed to compare it to bootlegs found it to be by far and away the best show of that tour.  No other show comes close.  Mark had matured so much as a guitarist by the time of the next tour it would really be something from there that would interest me and this recent Aukland '86 video has been like a new release for me.
I thought you once said there were better LOG tour shows than Alchemy, especially for TOL?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 09:27:38 PM »

I thought you once said there were better LOG tour shows than Alchemy, especially for TOL?

It's the best show.  Personally I think the final solo on TOL has been better played as he doesn't nail a couple of notes.  That doesn't mean other shows are better.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 09:29:22 PM »
Ok, thanks. I actually see nothing wrong with Alchemy TOL, as far as the '83 arrangements are concerned...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 12:08:13 PM »
Any expanded version of Alchemy for me would be just adding Industrial disease, twisting by the pool and portobello belle, without touching anything else.

The perfect one for me would be that Guy remix everything together, but considering last mix was made by Chuck Ainlay, i don't think he would dare to do all again. Maybe they could add the day before (they have the tapes as they used the portobello belle from that day in the the new MFN compilation) and mix that himself but, my guess is this, as usual, is not happening at all.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 01:04:03 PM »
After writing this thread I was struggling to think what an updated Alchemy might include.

I think they got the song selection right on the original release. I don't really like Industrial Disease or Twisting by the Pool as songs really.

What would be more interesting would be an alternative mix.  Telegraph Road on MFN which was remixed is now.my go to version of this song, the mix having much more impact than on the Alchemy version.

If they were to do anything, adding the show from the day before would be of real interest.

Offlineasouza

• Guitar George
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 12:39:05 AM »
guy's anwswer in 23/01/2023:

By: Christian0274
Categories: Competition
January 23, 2023
Hello Doc, first I wish you and all the band all the best for 2023. I have juste one question : Is there a chance to rerelease Alchemy with the complete setlist? Thanks for all . Sorry for m’y english.

It’s possible but I’m unsure right now

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 12:45:38 PM »
Good point, Jbaent, to have a possible complete Alchemy-Set with the three missing tracks.
I personally dream of a Master-Disc-Version (MFSL) of Alchemy, possibly to realize that as a 4-LP-Set on 45-rpm.  :think 8)
We are fools to make war

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 36 queries.