Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: News, Dortmund 1980 - officially available on DS youtube channel this Friday!  (Read 1551 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
I'm so happy!

It seems that things are moving, on Dire Straits official YouTube channel, they start to make valuable video releases. I was already very happy when DTTW and Lions from Dortmund 80 were released in high quality, following a first release of OUATITW... DTTW is very dynamic, with great interaction with the audience, and Lions has a wonderful experimental new rythm.

I was afraid they would stop here, but now it seems that the intention is to release the full Dortmund 80 show, with the teasing of News for this coming Friday 24th. This is the true jewel of the show, with wonderful touching arrangements, Hammond organ, and dedication to John Lennon who had died a few days before... Turning a nice ballad into an epic, with what was yet to become "Private Investigations"!

It looks like the German ZDF channel is open to such releases, maybe one day we'll get Rockpalast? And Wembley 85 from the British?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
Did they release it?

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Did they release it?

No
Yes they did !
On the *official* DS youtube Channel, you now have a Dortmund 80 section, with 3 videos, OUATITW, DTTW + Lions, and News. It seems that they realease a new video every 5 weeks, so you can expect Sultans, TOL and Solid Rock.
To me the most interesting are DTTW + Lions and News, as they are not on Alchemy. Especially News - Am I the only one to find that this song is a real forgotten masterpiece, even more so with the 1980/1981 epic arrangements ?

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
But all those songs are already on Youtube right?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
8 years ago

Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
But all those songs are already on Youtube right?
Until recently, not officially. Only as bootlegs. This makes a huge difference to me. Knowing that ZDF German channel allowed this release, which btw seems to be of good quality, given the age of the show, is a big step forward. This is great, and we might expect other official TV releases: Wembley 85 and Rockaplast 79 come to mind!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Did they release it?

No
Yes they did !
On the *official* DS youtube Channel, you now have a Dortmund 80 section, with 3 videos, OUATITW, DTTW + Lions, and News. It seems that they realease a new video every 5 weeks, so you can expect Sultans, TOL and Solid Rock.
To me the most interesting are DTTW + Lions and News, as they are not on Alchemy. Especially News - Am I the only one to find that this song is a real forgotten masterpiece, even more so with the 1980/1981 epic arrangements ?

Is there any official cd, lp, dvd or Blu-ray of it?

So it's not released, at least not officially as part of the discography of the band. It's just that the people who run the social media, that are not from the record company as far as I know, reached an agreement with the owners of the rights of that videos to put them on the official YouTube account.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Did they release it?

No
Yes they did !

Is there any official cd, lp, dvd or Blu-ray of it?

So it's not released, at least not officially as part of the discography of the band. It's just that the people who run the social media, that are not from the record company as far as I know, reached an agreement with the owners of the rights of that videos to put them on the official YouTube account.
Yes, ok, I also would prefer a blu-ray, but these things are rare nowadays, people go for online, so this is still better than nothing, and better than bootlegs. This is still an officially endorsed release of Dortmund 80, even if not physical, and it makes me happy.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
I don't know about Spanish, but in the English language release means to make something available. So it doesn't have to have physical copies for something to be released, especially in these digital days.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineonceupon84

• Local Hero
I do not know if anyone has noticed, but the beginning of SOS is different from the video that circulated in the past. The official YouTube version begins with a close-up of MK while the old copy began with the full shot of the band and the lyrics of the song title.

There is also another case, at the beginning of TOL, both in the old copy and in Live at the BBC a phrase "Danke schön!" was heard and now on the official channel it is heard right at the end of News. What happened here? Which of the edits is correct?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 36 queries.