Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 106500 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #810 on: November 09, 2023, 05:09:52 PM »
Basel and Nimes were both evening shows, similar start time. Being earlier in the summer, the Basel show had sunlight until later in the evening, that is all. Basel had fine weather. It rained at the Nimes show, which probably means light was reduced by cloud cover and storms brought an even darker atmosphere.

That's true. Sunday, 8 p.m., June 28, was beautiful weather not only in Switzerland, but also in Poland :) Dire Straits never reached my country, but that day we were all at the concert  :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 05:19:04 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #811 on: November 09, 2023, 05:15:53 PM »
Basel and Nimes were both evening shows, similar start time. Being earlier in the summer, the Basel show had sunlight until later in the evening, that is all. Basel had fine weather. It rained at the Nimes show, which probably means light was reduced by cloud cover and storms brought an even darker atmosphere.

Aha, never thought of that! Despite the weather, I have never seen Mark smile as much as in that video  :)

Chris, do you recall why the original MFN intro was never used on the OES tour? It was such a famous part of the song and yet it was ditched after only one tour.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 05:18:31 PM by Matchstickman »

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #812 on: November 09, 2023, 05:18:39 PM »
I guess its was seen as too long, also it had been done on the BIA tour. Lots of things changed between the BIA tour and the OES tour.

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
« Reply #813 on: November 09, 2023, 05:19:52 PM »
I guess its was seen as too long, also it had been done on the BIA tour. Lots of things changed between the BIA tour and the OES tour.

OK, yes, thanks, but then he spent five minutes staring at the audience instead  :)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #814 on: November 09, 2023, 05:28:01 PM »
I remember in Basel, Chris White asking the cameraman to show MK and not him and band  :)
Clear as the day

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #815 on: November 09, 2023, 06:48:12 PM »
I have only just received my copy of the box set and I was listening to OTN today and noticed that "Heavy Fuel" ended very abruptly.   This may have been mentioned already on this thread, but it is too long to read everything again!   On the video it did go immediately into the next song, so obviously that is the reason.  :think
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 06:59:11 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineGuitarChris

• Guitar George
  • We are the Sultans, we are the Sultans of Swing
« Reply #816 on: November 09, 2023, 08:49:38 PM »
It is so great to have you here Chris! Thank you so much for these fantastic insights!

Do you know why Mark unfortunately stopped playing the end solo of Romeo and Juliet and therefore this is not in the record of "On the night"?

It was played in the 1991 shows I have listened to.

Thank you!
Owner of a Fender Stratocaster Mark Knopfler Signature

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #817 on: November 09, 2023, 08:54:35 PM »
My 2ct on the box set:

Rainbow
I love the Rainbow CDs, what a surprise to see a complete early concert appear after so many years (except from the few tracks that were included in the BBC Arenea documentary).
And great sound with much of the original dynamics preserved.

Live at the BBC
And I love to hear the new version of 'Live at the BBC 1978', as the CD we had before came out at the peak of the 'loudness war' in the 90ies,  it was compressed so much :(
This one is much better :)

Alchemy
Great to have the missing songs. What a pity that the 2nd half of Portobelle Belle is missing, I always loved that part.
Strange that it is not version that was remastered by Chuck Ainlay for the BluRay a few years ago (it does not include the sax lick in the intro of Solid Rock...)

On the Night
Love all the 'new' tracks :)

Also the Live At The BBC show is not a valuable addition, the Mono/Stereo argument for Tunnel of Love is not enough, as that track always felt not right on that album anyway which was called Live At The BBC and not Live in whatever. I never understood why they attached it to the show.

I couldn't agree more about the inclusion of Tunnel of Love on Live At The BBC, I have never understood why it was on that release. I like the rest of that album a lot but I only ever play it up to What's The Matter Baby because the last song feel so tacked on. I love the song and there's nothing wrong with the performance as such, but it represents a different era musically and is jarringly out of place with the other songs, which capture the essence of the 'stripped back four piece' band from the first few years.

I think it is strange that this is the Tunnel of Love from Dortmund, RockPop TV, December 1980, and not the version from BBC Whistle test, as stated. The BBC version was a few weeks before the Dortmund version. And I think it is weird to include a mono :(  recording to an official CD release.

I think nobody mentioned something discovered to me by Bruno Nunes.

After "Lions" in the new "Live at the BBC" there is something new that wasn't in the original release, the BBC Radio Dj introducing the band and when he mentions David Knopfler he says "on guitar and keyboards, David Knopfler".

Keyboards!

I think in summer 1978 David played his Wurlitzer piano on stage, on Portobelle Belle (listen to the Barbarellas recording from the same month). Not sure if there were more songs played on that Live at the BBC gig, or even the full concert, and only a few songs were broadcasted?
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #818 on: November 10, 2023, 02:57:11 AM »
Just reporting, I just realized that MFN present in On The Night was always the version on 05/31/92 Rotterdam,and Wild Theme on OTN is precisely in Feyenoord, Rotterdam HOL 30.05.92. I just compared it, I will do this little by little with the other songs!

Ok. Do you find time to just listen and enjoy it occasionally?

LE

Let's say that the curiosity to understand what is happening moves me!

The amount of work you put into these investigations seems immense! Very good effort and fans and fanbase in the future will be thankful. So kudos to you!

LE

Yes, it is something that requires a certain amount of attention and sensitivity, even memory, as you can imagine, I believe that I am able to handle these things channeling them in Dire Straits' work. I know that many people don't care about dates and places, just about music, I grew up seeing the inserts of vinyl records from my father's collection, so I always had the habit of seeing the inserts, technical details, where it was recorded , musicians, dates... I know that like me, there are people who care about this type of information, so it's for them in particular.

I can only thank you for the recognition, coming from a big Dire Straits fan, it's an honor. Gratitude!  :wave
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #819 on: November 10, 2023, 03:04:21 AM »
Do these deep analyzes also apply to MK? I'm very impressed.
Yes, one thing naturally leads me to another, I follow MK's solo career and as an observer and detail-oriented, nothing escapes me in the master's work, whether with DS or solo. I'm glad you liked it, thank you!

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #820 on: November 10, 2023, 03:08:06 AM »
Just reporting, I just realized that MFN present in On The Night was always the version on 05/31/92 Rotterdam,and Wild Theme on OTN is precisely in Feyenoord, Rotterdam HOL 30.05.92. I just compared it, I will do this little by little with the other songs!

Ok. Do you find time to just listen and enjoy it occasionally?

LE

Let's say that the curiosity to understand what is happening moves me!

The amount of work you put into these investigations seems immense! Very good effort and fans and fanbase in the future will be thankful. So kudos to you!

LE

Thank you very much for the recognition, my dear, my academic background is a degree in History, so, in this case, I combine my passion for the band and the commitment to preserving the historical value of Dire Straits' work, for the benefit of the band's memory, I do it for love, from fan to fan like many here do.

With your love of DS I assumed your background was in palaeontology. :)

Hahahahah,That was a good one, Dusty!  ;D

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #821 on: November 10, 2023, 03:09:49 AM »
Yes, one thing naturally leads me to another, I follow MK's solo career and as an observer and detail-oriented, nothing escapes me in the master's work, whether with DS or solo. I'm glad you liked it, thank you!

:thumbsup Great! :)
Clear as the day

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #822 on: November 10, 2023, 07:34:14 AM »

As a DS and MK get-a-lifer, I must admit that all these analysis are something I love and that I would like to have in the form of a book.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #823 on: November 10, 2023, 09:53:54 AM »
Regarding the labelling mistake on the Live at the BBC album (TOL labelled as Old Grey Whistle Test on 31/01/1981 rather than Dortumd 19/12/1980), it is worth noting that the label is not completely untrue.

Indeed, on BBC2 on 31/01/1981, the OGWT show focused on the Dortmund Rockpop event:

http://www.tvpopdiaries.co.uk/1981.html

BBC2 Old Grey Whistle Test 12.00 - 12.40 am
Dire Straits (Rock Pop, Dortmund)
Talking Heads (Rock Pop, Dortmund)

The show is not available, but we can safely assumed that with 40 minutes to share between DS, Talking Head and the chatting of the show, no way the full DS show could be shown, and that only TOL was.

In 1995 when they made the album, they just found the master tape of the OGWT show, and they didn't look further, that's the way they labelled TOL.

A pity they didn't have the full Dortmund show to release, I would have loved to have those great versions of DTTWN, Lions and News on disc. Now we have the videos on the official YT channel, which is good, albeit in mono.

A real pity that it seems that no stereo recording of the great OL tour exists. Maybe they have Werchter soundboard in good quality somewhere, with Angel of Mercy? On the available bootlegs the quality is not good, even if it is a soundboard, News is out of tune, that ruins it...

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #824 on: November 10, 2023, 10:06:41 AM »
Qobuz (my chosen high res streaming service) has just published its charts for the last week. Predictably the new Beatles single is at number one - but I think you can guess what's number two.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 35 queries.