Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 106212 times)

OfflineJKMark

• Guitar George
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #885 on: November 13, 2023, 10:10:48 AM »
Brunno, and others, as for the "Yeah, we're alright" line from Calling Elvis from On the Night, which seems to be from another night, it sounds very similar to the one from here: (52 seconds in)[url =https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ3BQuxj2KQ&list=PLC0G7CWTAlMq1xS8MIBi_Qx11I_T2BQGc&index=45]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ3BQuxj2KQ&list=PLC0G7CWTAlMq1xS8MIBi_Qx11I_T2BQGc&index=45 [/url]

Thank you very much for showing this link, I've known this video for a long time, I haven't seen it for a long time, but here he does exactly the same greeting that ended up on OTN and which doesn't correspond to any of the shows in Nimes or Rotterdam, so , being in Paris in April 1992 and we know that some of those nights were recorded in Paris, it is very likely that this is the origin of the greeting in CE on OTN. Furthermore, it is necessary to analyze the versions of CE from the nights in April 92, we can easily find certain licks that ended up in the "montage" of CE on OTN, which I now realize is a mix of excerpts in Paris, Nimes and Rotterdam.

I keep imagining the possibility of future releases of full shows that the band recorded in 1992, such as Paris, Nimes and Rotterdam, whether in audio, especially in video, which would be a true miracle, imagine being able to watch songs like When It Comes to on video You or Tunnel Of Love with that OTN video quality? What a luxury it would be...

Yes, indeed. They could release new songs on YT channel. Same with other tours / videos. Complete BIA concert on video is no brainer. Honestly I’ll take anything from them. Yesterday I listened to Rainbow gig, what a gem. Performance and sound quality are exceptional. 2-3 shows per tour is kind of optimum, ekhm, optimistic scenario ;)

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #886 on: November 13, 2023, 10:28:04 AM »
A show is a fleeting moment in time, not designed to be repeat listened and analysed. That's why many bands hated bootlegs back in the day, and many artists don't want people to record shows on cell phones.
I can't see any reason why Mark would want to release multiple live shows, especially unedited and unmixed.
As an artist you want to be represented by your best work.
The Sydney BIA show and the Basel OES show were never assumed to be widely repeat viewed or even VHS recorded. This was before the internet and Youtube. The uploads infringe copyright and so do any bootlegs.
OK, as musicians we've learned to live with modern taping, both VHS and now cell phones, but it does mean some musicians who are afraid of being analysed for mistakes will play safe every show, instead of going for it.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #887 on: November 13, 2023, 10:35:59 AM »
I can't see any reason why Mark would want to release multiple live shows, especially unedited and unmixed.

I can think of one...

But seriously though, MK has been selling digital downloads of all his live shows for more than 10 years now. I guess they are mixed to an extent but they are available within days so not with any great deal of scrutiny. He seems relaxed about it, and it was another revenue stream which has become ever more important since people stopped buying physical product.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #888 on: November 13, 2023, 11:31:35 AM »

According to setlist.fm statistics, which has data from concerts that the setlist is known: https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html

"Planet of New Orleans" was played 67 times

"When it comes to you" was played 22 times

"You and your friend" was played 20 times

"Fade to black" was played 31 times

"So far away" was played 2 times - https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/dire-straits-4bd67bce.html?songid=1bd761b4

By the way, Set List.com is wrong. I haven't been through it in absolute detail, but when I was looking for something else I found errors, I can't remember all of them. One thing I remember was that the number of shows on the tour did not match the number of times they said we played 'Calling Elvis'.
Many songs were played at every show, so if Set List doesn't match it to the number of shows, they are wrong.
Calling Elvis was every show, Walk of Life, Sultans, Heavy Fuel - and more, were played at every show.

Yes, one should take the data in setlist.fm considerating that the information is provided by fans, and there are two types of sets, the ones introduced by people who have recordings in audio and or video, some of them might be incomplete recordings as well, and also the ones introduced by people who attended the show, doesn't have any recording but kind of remember which songs were played, obviously some songs can be forgotten when introducing them to the site, and some might be wrong. Also don't forget that there are no setlist for any single concert, only the ones that people had introduced the sets because they have the recordings or they thing they remember the songs they heard.

The site doesn't provide 100% accurate information but an aproximation.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #889 on: November 13, 2023, 11:40:42 AM »

I can think of one...

Which is?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #890 on: November 13, 2023, 11:42:07 AM »

I can think of one...

Which is?

Money.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #891 on: November 13, 2023, 11:44:23 AM »
But seriously though, MK has been selling digital downloads of all his live shows for more than 10 years now.

Probably to direct fans away from unofficial recordings. It gives him some control.
On the money - he is a multi-millionaire who most likely by 1992 never needed to work another day in his life.
He's making more money (sitting at home) from his publishing (all those classic hit songs) than most of us will ever earn in a lifetime.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #892 on: November 13, 2023, 11:47:29 AM »

Money.

See above.
It ain't going to be about the money. Artists are driven to make art and perform it. That's why he has kept making albums and touring. He never needed to work again by at least the mid-90's.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #893 on: November 13, 2023, 12:05:08 PM »
Of course MK is rich af, and I guess he already was in the early 80's. But he has a superior studio to pay plus all this high level touring with a private jet and an expensive band had to be very tightly calculated. It's like a middle clans company to travel around the world with 80plus Shows so I guess MK and management generated money from the live shows with these Downloads which all were pretty bad sounding by the way to make everything pay. I am talking of his solo tours now. Dire Straits were probably another cup of tea.

LE
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 12:07:26 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #894 on: November 13, 2023, 12:07:01 PM »

Money.

See above.
It ain't going to be about the money. Artists are driven to make art and perform it. That's why he has kept making albums and touring. He never needed to work again by at least the mid-90's.

As Dusty says, Mark Knopfler has been selling his live concerts, mixed but more or less quickly as some were available just when you were out of the gig (2010 tour), others the day after (2013) and in others one week or less after the concert.

As far as I remember, from all the MK solo tours he sold digital downloads of his concerts in 2005 (some of them), 2010 (almost all the European), 2013, 2015, 2019 (all of them except some venues that didn't allow the recordings or asked for too high fees). 
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #895 on: November 13, 2023, 12:07:56 PM »
Of course MK is rich af, and I guess he already was in the early 80's. But he has a superior studio to pay plus all this high level touring with a private jet and an expensive band had to be very tightly calculated.

He doesn't need the studio, the private jet or the band. I am 100% sure when the tour is planned, paying for the hotels, flights and band members is calculated in to the tour costings, not based on selling live show downloads afterwards.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #896 on: November 13, 2023, 12:11:31 PM »

As Dusty says, Mark Knopfler has been selling his live concerts, mixed but more or less quickly as some were available just when you were out of the gig (2010 tour), others the day after (2013) and in others one week or less after the concert.

It would be to drive fans away from unofficial recordings, which he has no control over. It would not touch the sides in terms of his touring expenses or million dollar lifestyle. The fact is, many artists ask fans not to film the shows on cell phones. Back in the day artists tried very hard to block bootleg recording and sales.
Since the internet some artists have just decided - if you can't beat them, join them.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #897 on: November 13, 2023, 12:20:59 PM »
Of course MK is rich af, and I guess he already was in the early 80's. But he has a superior studio to pay plus all this high level touring with a private jet and an expensive band had to be very tightly calculated.

He doesn't need the studio, the private jet or the band. I am 100% sure when the tour is planned, paying for the hotels, flights and band members is calculated in to the tour costings, not based on selling live show downloads afterwards.

Yes, but you know how these things go, even wealthy people get used to a certain lifestyle which needs to be funded, multiple houses, state of the art recording studio etc. It appears to be the case that since MK apparently retired from touring in 2019 there has been an effort to promote more DS stuff for sale (this box set, other merch on the website, toy guitars etc), maybe all this stuff is for artistic reasons but maybe not.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #898 on: November 13, 2023, 12:28:48 PM »

Yes, but you know how these things go, even wealthy people get used to a certain lifestyle which needs to be funded, multiple houses, state of the art recording studio etc.

You know if you've spent any time with people in this category. More often than not it's to demonstrate how continuingly successful you are to your peers.
McCartney never needs to tour or release another record. He loves filling huge stadiums however, and he will be absolutely beaming from ear to ear that the new single is number one. It is more about bragging rights than filling the bank balance. How does an 80 year old spend $1.2 billion?
You can bet if he bumps into Paul Simon or Elton John he'll mention the number one single however.
Mark would want to find things for Guy to do. I'm sure John is very happy to top up his bank accounts too, although by normal standards John never needs to work again either.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #899 on: November 13, 2023, 12:34:40 PM »
Mark Knopfler stated more than once that he never did anything for money (which I always doubted). On the other hand he was one of those artists who always was making decisions which could be interpreted as purely money-based. My guess is that he gives a lot on advice from his accountants who tell him what would be the best to do, to keep the whole machinery run. If they convince him, he will agree to these sorts of things plus he feels a lot of responsibilty for the people around him.

I once overhead Paul Crockford before the first RAH Show 2010 saying something like MK would be like an oil tanker, very heavy and slowly to change. That was related to the start of live downloads after the show which began in May 2010.

LE
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 12:38:27 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 39 queries.