Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 106369 times)

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #930 on: November 16, 2023, 12:38:15 PM »
Hmm, the people I know said overdubs were done.
99.99% of live albums have overdub fixes. If a guitar solo is amazing apart from one bar, they go in and fix that bar on the album mix.
If John plays one wrong bass note, you don't edit in a whole new section from a different show, you just overdub the correct bass note - it takes 5 minutes to do.
I very highly doubt nothing was fixed by Mark while they mixed OTN.

Yes!
I am not criticizing Guy Fletcher, but he is expert to tell a lot without sayng anything.
He is a good lier and keeps the "magic" about the band alive.

Thank You, Chris.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #931 on: November 16, 2023, 12:58:21 PM »
99.99% of live albums have overdub fixes. If a guitar solo is amazing apart from one bar, they go in and fix that bar on the album mix.
If John plays one wrong bass note, you don't edit in a whole new section from a different show, you just overdub the correct bass note - it takes 5 minutes to do.

Yes!
I am not criticizing Guy Fletcher, but he is expert to tell a lot without sayng anything.

Thank You, Chris.

It really amuses and amazes me that you wont take the word of the person involved in its creation, one of the actual people in the control room during its creation.

But of course you're entitled to your opinion....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #932 on: November 16, 2023, 01:26:16 PM »

Yes!

Thank You, Chris.

It really amuses and amazes me that you wont take the word of the person involved in its creation, one of the actual people in the control room during its creation.

With all honesty, one may also think after 3 months of rehearsals and 8 months of touring by the time of the On The Night recordings or whatever, nearly a year of playing nearly the same set of songs, you won't need to sit in the studio for hours replaying and overdubbing stuff, so I trust Guy Fletcher's on this.

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #933 on: November 16, 2023, 02:12:15 PM »

Yes!

Thank You, Chris.

I don't rule out the possibility that overdubs were done in the studio when they were creating OTN in 1993, Mark may not have been satisfied with some guitar licks he did on one of the nights used and created something that he deemed appropriate in the studio, in order to correct . One thing is a fact, the CE recording on OTN has guitar licks from different nights and I remember that when I was analyzing the bootlegs of the shows used for OTN, (Nimes and Rotterdam), I also noticed that there were licks that were not in any from these shows, that is, I identified the licks that were used to put together this track and realized that there were some passages that could only have been created in the studio.

I'll try to identify it again, this is a bit of work, but it's good to demystify things and try to understand how what was released was actually done.
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #934 on: November 16, 2023, 02:20:03 PM »

Yes!

Thank You, Chris.

I don't rule out the possibility that overdubs were done in the studio when they were creating OTN in 1993, Mark may not have been satisfied with some guitar licks he did on one of the nights used and created something that he deemed appropriate in the studio, in order to correct . One thing is a fact, the CE recording on OTN has guitar licks from different nights and I remember that when I was analyzing the bootlegs of the shows used for OTN, (Nimes and Rotterdam), I also noticed that there were licks that were not in any from these shows, that is, I identified the licks that were used to put together this track and realized that there were some passages that could only have been created in the studio.

I'll try to identify it again, this is a bit of work, but it's good to demystify things and try to understand how what was released was actually done.

Bear in mind we don't have ALL the shows available to us on bootleg.  It may come from a night we don't have.

I think personally we're dissecting this a little too much.  I'm all for finding out which track is from which night - that's quite interesting.  However, dissection to this degree doesn't really do any good. 
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #935 on: November 16, 2023, 03:00:14 PM »

The situation here is that all musicians can make overdubs, except MK and Cia.
What matters its the record/the product itself.
Not matters how many overdubs they do.
It's a very common practice. Even for MK

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #936 on: November 16, 2023, 03:13:20 PM »
In 2021 I published on my blog about this aspect of CE on OTN, I ended the article by writing: The audio is basically a tremendous edit, a lot of mixes here, a lot of audio is from Nimes FRA 21. 05.92, but a lot of other parts are a lot of unknown mixes.

I made comparisons between the OTN CL with the Audio CL of Bootlegs Nimes FRA 21.05.92 and Rotterdam, Netherlands 5/31/1992, to complement my research and reach this conclusion.

So here is some data, (a lot of audio is from Nimes FRA 21. 05.92, but a lot of other parts are a lot of unknown mixes.)

The closest versions to the CE version of OTN are Nimes FRA 21.05.92 and Rotterdam, Netherlands 5/31/1992, having these bootlegs as a starting point, just analyze and compare, it is possible to identify the licks and notice that there are licks that they were probably made in the studio, or, it was taken from some other show, but, I point out that I analyzed all the bootleg recordings from Nimes and Rotterdam in May 1992 and only the dates I mentioned above have licks and vocal performances that are on OTN, with the exception of Mark's greeting with a "hey, Alright!" at the beginning of the song, that was taken from some other show, probably Paris in April 92.

Here is the link to the article I wrote.

https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com/2021/06/calling-elvis-on-night-performance.html?m=0

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #937 on: November 16, 2023, 04:17:07 PM »

The situation here is that all musicians can make overdubs, except MK and Cia.
What matters its the record/the product itself.
Not matters how many overdubs they do.
It's a very common practice. Even for MK

This has got absolutely nothing to do with MK himself. Its simple logic.

The person who was partly responsible for putting together OTN says it is highly unlikely that there were any overdubs. Simple. I choose Guy as a better source of information about this than you Rolo, sorry.

This is not some blind devotion to MK, if Guy had a different answer, or if new  info comes to light in the future then I'll re-evaluate. Until then Occams razor suggests that the person who was actually responsible for the recordings might know a bit more than any of us here.

I am more tha happy to be proven wrong.....

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #938 on: November 16, 2023, 05:58:39 PM »
I can't remember when and where but I read that Alchemy had never been overdubbed in any ways, they had kept the raw footage so to speak, whereas On the Night had been through some tampering before seeing the light, and that notion has remained with me ever since. I'm still convinced something has been done to make each song flawless. 
I can't imagine the Fade to Black we got now would have made the cut back in 1993. Now it's history so it can be published with all its mistakes and rushed licks and we still love it.

When you listen to any Dire straits bootleg, there's always, here and there a small mistake by one or the other, and it's fine, but when you listen to On the Night (the 1993 version), there's nothing, it's a long blissfull experience.

And before anyone think I'm being critical of the Box set I am not all that, I simply point something I believe to be true. On the night was overdubbed, probably in very small parts but it was, I read it, and the source may as well be MK himself in his usual matter-of-fact way: "we did some overdubs in the studio..." but I'll have to find my source back
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 06:00:56 PM by Pierre »

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #939 on: November 16, 2023, 06:05:29 PM »
It thus seems very likely that there were overdubs in the studio, and that they used bits and pieces from various performances for Calling Elvis at the very least  :)

If the shots are from different nights, and the playing matches the shots, then the audio must be from different nights also, or overdubbed to match the footage to the T.

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #940 on: November 16, 2023, 06:08:21 PM »
By the way, these are on constant repeat from the box:

When it Comes to You
I think I love You Too Much

It's very nice to get all of the soloing on these, but also to hear the rhythm guitars on ITILYTM.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #941 on: November 16, 2023, 06:19:30 PM »
And before anyone think I'm being critical of the Box set I am not all that, I simply point something I believe to be true. On the night was overdubbed, probably in very small parts but it was, I read it, and the source may as well be MK himself in his usual matter-of-fact way: "we did some overdubs in the studio..." but I'll have to find my source back

Thank you

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #942 on: November 16, 2023, 07:35:32 PM »
In 2021 I published on my blog about this aspect of CE on OTN, I ended the article by writing: The audio is basically a tremendous edit, a lot of mixes here, a lot of audio is from Nimes FRA 21. 05.92, but a lot of other parts are a lot of unknown mixes.

I made comparisons between the OTN CL with the Audio CL of Bootlegs Nimes FRA 21.05.92 and Rotterdam, Netherlands 5/31/1992, to complement my research and reach this conclusion.

So here is some data, (a lot of audio is from Nimes FRA 21. 05.92, but a lot of other parts are a lot of unknown mixes.)

The closest versions to the CE version of OTN are Nimes FRA 21.05.92 and Rotterdam, Netherlands 5/31/1992, having these bootlegs as a starting point, just analyze and compare, it is possible to identify the licks and notice that there are licks that they were probably made in the studio, or, it was taken from some other show, but, I point out that I analyzed all the bootleg recordings from Nimes and Rotterdam in May 1992 and only the dates I mentioned above have licks and vocal performances that are on OTN, with the exception of Mark's greeting with a "hey, Alright!" at the beginning of the song, that was taken from some other show, probably Paris in April 92.

https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com/2021/06/calling-elvis-on-night-performance.html?m=0

There aren't bootlegs circulating of the 1st or final shows in Rotterdam so sound could come from either of these performances.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #943 on: November 16, 2023, 08:17:02 PM »

There aren't bootlegs circulating of the 1st or final shows in Rotterdam so sound could come from either of these performances.

That's why I mentioned, "that there are licks that were probably made in the studio, or were taken from some other show", in this case, it could be from these two shows in Rotterdam that we don't have recordings, but that the band.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #944 on: November 16, 2023, 08:32:16 PM »
I choose Guy as a better source of information about this

Until then Occams razor suggests that the person who was actually responsible for the recordings might know a bit more than any of us here.

in theory yes. But in practice no.

there are several examples in DS/MK history where Guy and/or Mark made mistakes in interviews about dates, song titles, gig venues, guitars used in studio (Mark saying the 54 on trawlerman for example), etc... Guy didn't even know about the Alchemy date, etc...

They have for more than 40 years now, in so mnay records, so many tours, so many gigs.... how can they rememebr eveything exactly ? It's impossible.
And they aren't as mad as us  :lol ;D
So they don't care about such details like we do. When a record is finished, they d'ont even think about it after that... remember, they are always looking forward... :lol :lol :lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 35 queries.