Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 106498 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #1290 on: December 30, 2023, 12:47:40 AM »
As for Mark's soloing, surely some parts were always more or less improvised (or changed around) - the intro to Heavy Fuel, and the intros and outros of The Bug come to mind. They are all different in the performances with which I'm familiar.

Those songs are simple musically, but more complicated songs like Sultans and Tunnel seem to have sections that start in familiar territory, include improvisation, use familiar phrases as cues to both the band the audience, and finally end on the famous twiddly bits (or what have you).

PONO went through quite a big evolution in the ending solo from the very first tame-ish performances to the late US leg on which he went wild and explored quite unusual phrasings.

My fave version is from Dublin 91
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #1291 on: December 30, 2023, 10:42:17 AM »
What Mark plays often feels "just right" for that song. McCartney, in my experience, mostly plays short simple rock solos, so it is hard to compare to TR or SOS or BIA, with their long solos being fundamental parts of the songs on a more profound level.

I talked about McCartney AND Robbie McIntosh. Of course Macca is a beginner guitarist compared to Mark, although I found Paul's solos often soulful. Robbie however is one of the best guitarists I've ever played with.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1292 on: December 30, 2023, 10:44:06 AM »
PONO went through quite a big evolution in the ending solo from the very first tame-ish performances to the late US leg on which he went wild and explored quite unusual phrasings.

We hardly played the song, so it never got settled like the mainstays of the set.

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #1293 on: December 30, 2023, 11:13:28 AM »
This box is really a highlight of the year. First of all the unreleased Rainbow show and the missing Alchemy songs. But for me personal are the bonustracks from the OES tour the most memorable. Maybe it comes it was the only tour I have seen live but also to have officially live versions of  I think I love you too much, When it comes to you and the fabulous Tunnel of Love version.

Let’s hope we will get more recordings from the vaults

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #1294 on: December 30, 2023, 11:14:54 AM »
TOL 92 is indeed fabulous.
Ok 85 versions may be better, but this one is very, very enjoyable too. The more I listen to it the more I love it!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1295 on: December 30, 2023, 12:03:20 PM »

We hardly played the song, so it never got settled like the mainstays of the set.

That song is featured in a lot of concerts as far as recordings we have from the start until the May 92 part of the tour, then it disappears.

There are great versions from the NA leg of the tour where the song is featured in most of the recordings available, also in many of the European gigs before the NA leg. After the American leg I think is featured just in some concerts, being Paris Bercy probably the last one we have a recording.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1296 on: December 30, 2023, 12:16:03 PM »
I think it was definitely played most on the North America leg.
In my mind it certainly wasn't a regular in the set, albeit I agree, it pops up on other legs from time to time.
The repetitious solos I'm talking about are the songs that go back further. The solos evolved over several tours, they evolved less from week to week on the 92 tour.

Offlinetomtom51

• Guitar George
« Reply #1297 on: December 30, 2023, 02:29:14 PM »
What Mark plays often feels "just right" for that song. McCartney, in my experience, mostly plays short simple rock solos, so it is hard to compare to TR or SOS or BIA, with their long solos being fundamental parts of the songs on a more profound level.

I talked about McCartney AND Robbie McIntosh. Of course Macca is a beginner guitarist compared to Mark, although I found Paul's solos often soulful. Robbie however is one of the best guitarists I've ever played with.

For instance: https://youtu.be/BORQTtjscTg?si=2WOcS0dPrA4io6ys

Offlinetomtom51

• Guitar George
« Reply #1298 on: December 30, 2023, 02:32:34 PM »

And of course: https://youtu.be/hWOWuLWofv8?si=s09gXMyYhc4fTrrc

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1299 on: December 30, 2023, 03:07:36 PM »
Robbie had a longish solo spotlight on the 1990 tour also:
https://youtu.be/IXiKEAF2Wkg?si=xh8Uu-GVBvO5WtwW

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1300 on: December 30, 2023, 03:14:34 PM »
Chris you are amazing in Telegraph Road. Not only in the Telegraph, but now I'm listening to the Telegraph once again:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1301 on: December 30, 2023, 03:35:26 PM »

And of course: https://youtu.be/hWOWuLWofv8?si=s09gXMyYhc4fTrrc

Robbie is a favourite of most of us, he played many times with MK and we all loved what he played and how he played.

It's a pity he never got to be the MK guitarist on tours, but he did the 4 gigs of MK and friends in 2002 and played in many promotional gigs and also some studio recordings, like two songs in the last MK record (down the road whatever) and also the Local hero musical demos.

We love Robbie!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1302 on: December 30, 2023, 04:22:41 PM »
Chris you are amazing in Telegraph Road. Not only in the Telegraph, but now I'm listening to the Telegraph once again:)

Thank you.

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #1303 on: December 30, 2023, 06:31:17 PM »
In my mind it certainly wasn't a regular in the set, albeit I agree, it pops up on other legs from time to time.
The repetitious solos I'm talking about are the songs that go back further. The solos evolved over several tours, they evolved less from week to week on the 92 tour.

Did someone from the crew also made recordings during the rehearsals/ soundcheck/ concert from the soundboard to listen to the songs you played to improve the playing or change the arrangements for example?

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #1304 on: December 30, 2023, 06:34:40 PM »

I checked On Every Bootleg site

The '91 european leg is featuring 32 gigs recorded panning from 23rd August 1991 in Dublin to 14th October 1991 in Zurich

PONO appear in 100 % of the recordings
Always performed on the first quarter of the show.
Fifth position is usual number - and I would say it was 90% of the time.
When not in fifth position, it was between the third and seventh position.

We have only two recordings from the  down under leg, PONO was still there.

For the '92 US leg 27 gigs are featured
For the first 16 available recordings, PONO appear 15 times always performed in fifth position.
The only recording where PONO is not featured is said being the full show - third US recording -  5th February 1992  - Sports Arena, San Diego, USA.

The 17th recording (2nd March 1992 - Spectrum, Philadelphia, USA) is very partial show and do not feature PONO

The last ten recordings are full or almost full.

From 4th March 1992 - War Memorial, Syracuse, USA to 4th April 1992 - Center Coliseum, Seattle, USA

PONO is performed 6 times
The first two ones at the usual fifth position
The las four ones at various position within the third quarter of the show (ie between SOS and TYL).

Then the 1992 european leg where it was still on the setlist but more and more on a random basis.

Edit : I checked and only available recording is Paris April 27.

I still mourn missing the '91 leg because PONO is my fave song of the show and I feel sooooo unlucky only witnessing PONOless gig in '92.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 09:48:51 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 39 queries.