Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 103691 times)

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #1320 on: December 31, 2023, 01:43:20 PM »
Ok but how did Mark, Guy and Alan leave then? During the max. one or two minutes between the last note and the end of fireworks? It must literally been a "runner" for the three of them. Honestly asking.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1321 on: December 31, 2023, 01:43:38 PM »
This is one set list I have, from 6th June 1992.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #1322 on: December 31, 2023, 01:46:07 PM »
Yes I remember the firworks after the show and time it took me to leave Werchter.
Well as I was first row so I had to cross the concert field all the way to the back.
Then to retrieve what parking field I had left my car  :hmm
There was parking fields everywhere around...  :smack

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #1323 on: December 31, 2023, 01:47:07 PM »
Man, they could have written the full titles. Very challenging for my OCD  :lol

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1324 on: December 31, 2023, 01:47:26 PM »
Ok but how did Mark, Guy and Alan leave then? During the Max. one or two minutes between the last note and the end of fireworks? It must literally been a "runner" for the three of them. Honestly asking.

LE

No problem.
The whole band had previously bowed and wandered off stage. After 'Local Hero' really only Mark needed to linger, accepting the final ovation.
So two ran from the stage and into the last car, followed quickly by Mark.
Takes less time to usher three people into one car, than nine people into multiple cars, each undecided which car to jump into.
At the open air shows we always had fireworks too, to buy us some more time.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1325 on: December 31, 2023, 01:51:50 PM »
By Summer of 1992 Telegraph Road was the official end of the set.
Money was the first encore.
Then Brothers in Arms, Solid Rock (and almost always in my memory) Local Hero.

You couldn't end the show without playing Brothers In Aarms, so in my opinion, there were always two encores.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1326 on: December 31, 2023, 02:20:35 PM »
"The song is the king" is his mantra and it seems a too self indulging solo would be something that sets a spotlight on the player too much and distracts from the song. I personally find that attitude rubbish"

For me, these words have always had a different meaning. Certainly not in the concert sense.
It's natural that the live versions have always been different, developed and longer
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 03:06:50 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1327 on: December 31, 2023, 02:23:06 PM »
15 minute versions of songs with pretty lengthy guitar solos would suggest that too.

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
« Reply #1328 on: December 31, 2023, 03:33:26 PM »
I dunno.
He seemed to me a very cerebral, calculating kind of guy. Solos seemed constructed rather than off the cuff.
Nothing wrong with gradually working your way towards the perfect solo.
The older songs with long solos had evolved over many years and several tours. The OES song solos started based on the studio solos and only slightly evolved from there (in my opinion).

Not the case with PONO solo IMO, much faster, having a much wider variety of licks and sophisticated phrasings that were not to be found in any other song of the repertorie:

I mean, compare that crazy Worcester solo with the recording one.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 03:37:17 PM by iorch82 »

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1329 on: December 31, 2023, 03:42:57 PM »
That was my point. He was still experimenting with PONO, rather than repeating the solo formula like he did with Sultan's, Telegraph etc...

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1330 on: December 31, 2023, 03:44:24 PM »
This was my point....but people seem more intent on arguing:

Anyway..... all I said was that it was 1) a new song and 2) was not played often enough to cement in a repeated guitar solo.

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #1331 on: December 31, 2023, 03:44:33 PM »
Although with the re-release of OTN I was also hoping for an official live version of PONO but that didn’t happen. At least I am really happy with the bonus tracks and I think this will be the most complete what we will ever get from the OES tour.   
I am really fortunate the I have seen that tour live and have now a professional recording of almost all songs I have heard live in Rotterdam 91 and 92.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1332 on: December 31, 2023, 05:21:27 PM »
That was my point. He was still experimenting with PONO, rather than repeating the solo formula like he did with Sultan's, Telegraph etc...

Pretty sure I've mentioned that before myself about PONO.  It's certainly a fan favourite and one he should've persisted with but I never thought he really sounded comfortable with the solo and it was well out of his comfort zone until the sax comes in and the smile comes on his face because he's back inside it again.  Don't get me wrong, it's still one of my favourites and it's also a very interesting track musically for that reason.

It was a long time ago and I was only young but I seem to recall it being well received in Glasgow.  Strange that he chose to play stuff like Fade to Black and When it Comes to You in stadiums instead of this.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
« Reply #1333 on: December 31, 2023, 05:43:47 PM »

Pretty sure I've mentioned that before myself about PONO.  It's certainly a fan favourite and one he should've persisted with but I never thought he really sounded comfortable with the solo and it was well out of his comfort zone until the sax comes in and the smile comes on his face because he's back inside it again.  Don't get me wrong, it's still one of my favourites and it's also a very interesting track musically for that reason.

It was a long time ago and I was only young but I seem to recall it being well received in Glasgow.  Strange that he chose to play stuff like Fade to Black and When it Comes to You in stadiums instead of this.

Yeah, or even the super bland Heavy Fuel which for some reason they never stopped playing. In any case both FTB and WITCY are songs far easier for him to execute.

Besides, totally agree with your observation on his confort zone, though it led to really unique brilliant moments at the expense a bunch of tiny mistakes here and there.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #1334 on: January 01, 2024, 09:42:48 AM »
I dunno.
He seemed to me a very cerebral, calculating kind of guy. Solos seemed constructed rather than off the cuff.
Nothing wrong with gradually working your way towards the perfect solo.
The older songs with long solos had evolved over many years and several tours. The OES song solos started based on the studio solos and only slightly evolved from there (in my opinion).

Not the case with PONO solo IMO, much faster, having a much wider variety of licks and sophisticated phrasings that were not to be found in any other song of the repertorie:

I mean, compare that crazy Worcester solo with the recording one.

I don't care for Mark's solos during PONO. At that time, he certainly had chops and speed, but he doesn't have the jazz language to pull off long, fast and fluid lines over the many quirky chord changes. It sounds like a rocker attempting to play jazz, which, in essence, is what was the case.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 39 queries.