Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Beatles last song on air on November 2nd  (Read 3618 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Beatles last song on air on November 2nd
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2023, 11:53:12 AM »
Opinions are like...

I was underwhelmed by the cover art, but thinking about it, it would have been easy to do a late 60s psychadelic thing and keep it "on brand". Instead, they have done something completely different.

The Beatles, defying expectations after 60 years. Love it.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2023, 12:43:14 PM »
Opinions are like...

I was underwhelmed by the cover art, but thinking about it, it would have been easy to do a late 60s psychadelic thing and keep it "on brand". Instead, they have done something completely different.

The Beatles, defying expectations after 60 years. Love it.

The problem is The Beatles are so huge you can justify and find good explanations for anything they do, it could be just a black square and everybody would find new meanings in it, could be anything. Is it a good thing? Probably. But when your cover art looks like a temporary placeholder picture music stores would make, I think you've got a problem.

They could've used AI to generate the image (or maybe it was AI, after all), they could've asked fans, and they could've reimagined one of the older covers, but let's just stick 3 words with lazy shadows, it will do. No band name, no pleasure to scale it to LP size (Bigger words? WOW!), absolutely f-ing lazy. Even a solid colour would work better, but they already did it in 1968!

The worst part is the absence of a huge part of the song — it simply sounds better complete. They composed a new part and Paul (!) played the solo inspired (!!!) by George Harrison, basically imitating his style. Innovative, huh? I mean what a lazy approach is this? How is this a Beatles song?

Complete madness.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2023, 02:20:10 PM »
It's a Beatles single because it's been released by The Beatles. And the best thing about it is, nobody is forcing you to listen to it. You are absolutely free to believe that the world stopped turning in 1970 :)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2023, 02:51:38 PM »
It's a Beatles single because it's been released by The Beatles. And the best thing about it is, nobody is forcing you to listen to it. You are absolutely free to believe that the world stopped turning in 1970 :)

We will discuss this when in the future, John, Alan and Guy overdub a MK solo unreleased song and sell it like DS

I'm pretty sure what most of you would say.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2023, 03:14:53 PM »

We will discuss this when in the future, John, Alan and Guy overdub a MK solo unreleased song and sell it like DS

Yes, I'm sorry, but if something's f-upped up, something's f-upped up, you can't hide it. Argue how long you want, but it will not make the cover art good, it will not make the song full and less overproduced, and won't change the fact it was a completely unnecessary thing to do in the first place.

Weirdly enough, I still enjoy it because it's The Beatles and we need to accept this anyway. It just could've been done a million times better, and that's what bothers me. And don't listen to me, I think many people agree about all the points mentioned before. The only people who like the cover are the people who don't care.

Same with everything else. If you don't care about The Beatles, poor cover art, stupid cheesy music videos, or cash-grabbing on a huge brand, then good for you.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2023, 03:17:32 PM »

Yes, I'm sorry, but if something's f-upped up, something's f-upped up, you can't hide it. Argue how long you want, but it will not make the cover art good, it will not make the song full and less overproduced, and won't change the fact it was a completely unnecessary thing to do in the first place.

Weirdly enough, I still enjoy it because it's The Beatles and we need to accept this anyway. It just could've been done a million times better, and that's what bothers me. And don't listen to me, I think many people agree about all the points mentioned before. The only people who like the cover are the people who don't care.

Same with everything else. If you don't care about The Beatles, poor cover art, stupid cheesy music videos, or cash-grabbing on a huge brand, then good for you.

I think you are 100% wrong.

:)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2023, 03:18:46 PM »

If the worst happened and MK was no longer with us I would love for this to happen.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2023, 03:19:28 PM »

I think you are 100% wrong.

:)

"Fuh you"

— Paul McCartney

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2023, 03:20:01 PM »
Ha ha!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2023, 02:44:38 PM »
I agree with Dusty

to me it IS a Beatles song. You can hear all four members in it, and even strings arranged by George Martin's son... it has all classic ingredients you have in a traditionnal Beatles song

Yes I would have prefer that the slide guitar been played by George, but at least Paul did a very good job, and it does sound like George. A friend of mine, a real Beatles fan, tought it was George playing

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2023, 09:29:56 AM »
I don't know where takes his slide playing influence from, but I have always heard George Harrison in his playing.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2023, 06:12:24 PM »
I don't know where takes his slide playing influence from, but I have always heard George Harrison in his playing.

in the Peter Jackson Documentary, Paul says he played his slide solo in George's slide playing style, like a kind of tribute to his friend

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2023, 07:21:14 PM »

in the Peter Jackson Documentary, Paul says he played his slide solo in George's slide playing style, like a kind of tribute to his friend

Pity George never played actual solos for this song, as I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people listening think it's actually George's playing, another strange decision in my book. You can play in George's style, you can write in John's style, or play in Mark's style, but “Calling a dog's tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.”

You need somebody to explain it's a tribute and not an actual recording of George. Why? Because they released it under The Beatles' name! Should Paul play this solo on his solo album (excuse the pun), nobody would be confused. You should not do any new music with dead band members.

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2023, 03:11:04 PM »
Regarding whether it was morally right to use a "solo" song and turn that into a Beatles song: Yoko gave the song to Paul because it was in a box John had marked "to Paul".

Make of that what you will 🙂

It is a good song, but it was an odd choice to leave out John's bridge.

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2023, 03:14:16 PM »
Somehow I doubt Mark has any boxes marked "to Alan (and poor old fakers trying to dance in my old shoes)".

;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 38 queries.