Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Live Guitar Auction  (Read 9343 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Live Guitar Auction
« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2024, 09:13:34 PM »
Guys, it's been a fun day, lets keep it fun :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2024, 09:13:54 PM »
You say you troll. And then wonder if you get negative responses, lol. Of course there is appraisal, this is a fan forum.  ???

See, you already accusing me of something I never meant. I do troll SOMETIMES. Barely. The vast majority of the time I write sincerely. Nothing wrong with a little bit of trolling anyway. As for the fan forum, does being a fan make you a positive appraisal machine? I don't think so. Quite the contrary. I just have a lot to say, please forgive me.

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #212 on: January 31, 2024, 09:15:49 PM »
Forever Young modified strat goes for 100k :clap

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #213 on: January 31, 2024, 09:16:26 PM »
You say you troll. And then wonder if you get negative responses, lol. Of course there is appraisal, this is a fan forum.  ???

See, you already accusing me of something I never meant. I do troll SOMETIMES. Barely. The vast majority of the time I write sincerely. Nothing wrong with a little bit of trolling anyway. As for the fan forum, does being a fan make you a positive appraisal machine? I don't think so. Quite the contrary. I just have a lot to say, please forgive me.

I’ll forgive you, water under the bridge. Only if it’s in the centre of the screen;-)

All good
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #214 on: January 31, 2024, 09:16:52 PM »

That’s a cool looking strat. Love the pickups

Offlinehighway61revisited

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #215 on: January 31, 2024, 09:19:27 PM »

Not the same from the day he played with Bob Dylan.
The guitar will be delivered with 3 combination : original pickups / lipstick from the day he played with Bob Dylan / these lipstick

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2024, 09:24:12 PM »

In fact, all 4 Red Strats went for about 100 grand each. The Strat is still the real MK guitar. The margin is even bigger than for Martins.

OfflineSackJonni

• Guitar George
« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2024, 09:25:35 PM »
It's become quite boring.
Nothing has gone very high, the LP'59  is a disappointment and obviously a bargain for whoever has that kind of money.

Yet nothing is affordable, even the shitty guitars are out of range.

I expected the 59 to go at least 750k hammer price.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2024, 09:31:39 PM »
Nothing has gone very high, the LP'59  is a disappointment and obviously a bargain for whoever has that kind of money.

Yes, the prices are disappointing indeed. As I wrote the previous message I thought, FENDER STRATS OWNED AND USED BY MARK KNOPFLER, his arguably most iconic guitars people associate him with, one of which is a freaking 1/1 artist's prototype, which is even documented in 2009 live shows, all went for 100K minus taxes and commissions or whatever.

Tells you a lot, or probably everything you need to know about Mark's popularity. He wanted to be less famous, he got it, and now we have the numbers to prove it.

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2024, 09:36:03 PM »

It seems that The "cheaper" guitars attract the "artist premium", but that the guitars  that have a higher intrinsic value don't benefit from this in the same way. If his 59 Les Paul makes the ballpark figure for that model I consider that's reasonable.  What i find astounding is that Ekos and Teiscos made so much more than their estimate, which must be partly due to Mark's ownership(and they are not all "shitty" - Japan produced some good instruments in the 60s compared to some of the cheaper alternatives) and they do have that retro tone Mark wanted on Shangri La & KTGC.   But yes, £13K was ridiculous for a cigar box guitar.
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #220 on: January 31, 2024, 09:40:06 PM »
It's been interesting to watch. I can't help thinking though after all these sales more should have been given to charity, and yes I'm talking about MKs proportion. I've gone from excited interest to slight disgust at the amounts of money involved, and what money sits behind winning bids.

I'm grateful to have been able to view them for free but the whole exercise provokes feelings of inequality; maybe that's just a wider comment on the society I live in.

OfflineSackJonni

• Guitar George
« Reply #221 on: January 31, 2024, 09:46:09 PM »

Yes, the prices are disappointing indeed. As I wrote the previous message I thought, FENDER STRATS OWNED AND USED BY MARK KNOPFLER, his arguably most iconic guitars people associate him with, one of which is a freaking 1/1 artist's prototype, which is even documented in 2009 live shows, all went for 100K minus taxes and commissions or whatever.

Tells you a lot, or probably everything you need to know about Mark's popularity. He wanted to be less famous, he got it, and now we have the numbers to prove it.

Some guitars are ridiculously overpaid so I don't think you can say anything about Mark's popularity. Let alone prove anything.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #222 on: January 31, 2024, 09:51:27 PM »
It's been interesting to watch. I can't help thinking though after all these sales more should have been given to charity, and yes I'm talking about MKs proportion. I've gone from excited interest to slight disgust at the amounts of money involved, and what money sits behind winning bids.

I'm grateful to have been able to view them for free but the whole exercise provokes feelings of inequality; maybe that's just a wider comment on the society I live in.

Imagine how it feels to watch it from a third-world country. I don't need to imagine :lol

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #223 on: January 31, 2024, 10:00:36 PM »
TCT project announced in februari

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #224 on: January 31, 2024, 10:01:56 PM »
Some guitars are ridiculously overpaid so I don't think you can say anything about Mark's popularity. Let alone prove anything.

David Gilmour's black Partcaster which from what I can tell was modified a lot went for almost the entire yield of Mark's auction. He'll generate more with the signed Teenage Cancer Les Paul, but that's cheating.

Mark's guitars, on the other hand, are meticulously crafted and constructed, most of the time with his exact specifications in mind. And then being kept in pristine condition with care, barely showing any playing wear. And used on some great recordings, both video and audio. I don't know what's overpaid where and why one can still argue that Mark is popular when he's not.

You can bet even if Mark put out his other iconic guitars, like the National, it would also generate the "meh" outcome. It would sell for 400 grand just like Pensa.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 34 queries.