Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 2024 - a mark in time?  (Read 3911 times)

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
2024 - a mark in time?
« on: February 08, 2024, 09:03:44 PM »
Just zooming out a little bit over the course of the past 3 months we have had
:

- A live boxset many of us have been waiting for for years (to either listen to with joy or moan about)
- A guitar auction of a chunk if MKs most famous guitars
- A new album release announcement
- A high profile charity release announcement

Something going on here ?  Feels a like a moment we might sooner or later look back on.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: 2024 - a mark in time?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 09:47:33 PM »
This is normal behaviour for an artist who cares about his fans. If you're subscribed to a lot of other artists like I do, you can notice they release something ALL THE TIME. Whether it's a book, a new album, a podcast, or at least something. Mark's been silent for a while, so this stream of information feels like magic, though it's completely okay. The more different new stuff, the better! The problem of development hell and long waiting time is it raises expectations and hopes, that are crushed in catastrophic emotional implosions, when you were waiting for something for years, and get not something you were hoping for.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 09:50:04 PM by quizzaciously »

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 10:17:10 PM »
The human being has inked in his genome the quote that says that everything that is rare is precious, I understand that this affects us so emotionally.
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 12:36:39 AM »
Sorry to say but I think it's the beginning of a long goodbye....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 11:21:12 AM »
Don't forget a TV show coming up too. To me, 2024 is the year of Mark Knopfler :clap Guy has been saying for a while that there is lots of stuff coming up, and here we have it.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 12:03:58 PM »
Maybe also the long rumoured musical soundtrack of Local Hero

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 12:35:03 PM »
Will we still get the EP?

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 12:43:00 PM »
Just zooming out a little bit over the course of the past 3 months we have had
:

- A live boxset many of us have been waiting for for years (to either listen to with joy or moan about)
- A guitar auction of a chunk if MKs most famous guitars
- A new album release announcement
- A high profile charity release announcement

Something going on here ?  Feels a like a moment we might sooner or later look back on.
It's just a natural reaction to the loss of the touring income. Without it, Mark is forced to market on other avenues such as going back to DS live recordings to keep BGS afloat. He did mention in the Mark Lawson interview (2013) that BGS was bound to lose money and that he would give approval to any initiative (advertising, for example) as long as it would pay for his expenses.
We never had this kind of activity in one year while he was active touring, so it's pretty obvious to me. As long as Mark wants to keep making new albums, there will need to be new activities so I am expecting more during this year, and especially 2025.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 12:49:45 PM »
I doubt money is an issue for Mark or a motivation, it's more likely that because he has stopped touring he can do more things like this.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 12:50:02 PM »
It's great we end having all this stuff finally this year, specially since most of it has been in the works for years, with a pandemic in between.

I truly hope this is not the last things and we could continue enjoying (or not) more things in the future.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 12:52:26 PM »
I doubt money is an issue for Mark or a motivation, it's more likely that because he has stopped touring he can do more things like this.
It certainly isn't a motivation, it never was for Mark. But it's a need, and much more so at this moment.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 02:59:11 PM »
It certainly isn't a motivation, it never was for Mark. But it's a need, and much more so at this moment.

Actually money is not a motivation but a necessity if you think how expensive British Grove Studio is to mantein. I remember someone managed to find online the financial papers of the studio since it opened and until today, it ends every year losing money, so maybe every source of income would be good to keep the studio working, the sale of guitars he doesn't use, extra income from all stuff that was getting dust in the vaults...

And also he's making sure some of that money goes to charities, which is great too.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2024, 03:07:55 PM »

Actually money is not a motivation but a necessity if you think how expensive British Grove Studio is to mantein. I remember someone managed to find online the financial papers of the studio since it opened and until today, it ends every year losing money, so maybe every source of income would be good to keep the studio working, the sale of guitars he doesn't use, extra income from all stuff that was getting dust in the vaults...

And also he's making sure some of that money goes to charities, which is great too.

It's all publicly available information but you need to be a bit of an expert to decipher it:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/04825535/filing-history
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 04:33:27 PM »

Actually money is not a motivation but a necessity if you think how expensive British Grove Studio is to mantein.

He doesn't need the money. Even his income from the song publishing alone would be enough to live in the style he does.
His studio 'loses' money (technically) because he doesn't allow many people to use it.It is essentially his private studio, which he sometimes allows friends or respected others to use.
He's not putting out product because he has lost touring income. He has a studio sitting there and people like Guy looking for something to do.
It sounded like he had very little to do with the live box set, other than signing off on it.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2024, 04:54:12 PM »

Actually money is not a motivation but a necessity if you think how expensive British Grove Studio is to mantein.

He doesn't need the money. Even his income from the song publishing alone would be enough to live in the style he does.
His studio 'loses' money (technically) because he doesn't allow many people to use it.It is essentially his private studio, which he sometimes allows friends or respected others to use.
He's not putting out product because he has lost touring income. He has a studio sitting there and people like Guy looking for something to do.
It sounded like he had very little to do with the live box set, other than signing off on it.

Chris, British Grove is a commercial studio that you can hire to record, even myself if I would have money and a band, lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 38 queries.