Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Sweetwater - British Grove Studios: Touring Mark Knopfler’s Sonic Sanctuary  (Read 2251 times)

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
If I may be allowed to say so:

Chris is purely factual and pragmatic orientated and participates in several forums with the aim of getting and exchanging information and facts. No place for humour, hanging-around and worthless speculative talk about MK/DS as he is no "fan".

AMIT though is a place where fans hang around like in a pub and chatter and speculate with a very high nerd/geek factor. (And then there is Quizzaciously who triggered Chris from Day One.)  AMIT is not what Chris is used to find in a music forum (which AMIT isn't) and Chris with his pure pragmatism isn't what AMITERS are used to find at their place.

The key word here is "fan". Maybe we should keep in mind that fans are biased and because of that there is always potential for fights and disagreement. I think it is perfectly fine with both views and we should be able to get along in a civilized way. I for my part love to read Chris' posts and find they are a valuable contribution. Just my two cents.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
Sure, although I understand fans. I am a fan myself. I'm a fan of McCartney, Pat Metheny, Todd Rundgren.
My main point is, soooo much negativity all the time.

I'm also a professional in the music industry. I make videos for Youtube. I kind of do it as a service. They take a few days to make each one and I make zero income from them, not even costs. It's not easy to make them and I don't have the energy to make them super slick like a Rick Beato. It's not earning me any income.
Youtube is an incredible resource though. I watch videos everyday - whether it's old concert footage, or a tutorial by a well known record producer, or someone doing a drum cover.
I can't think of a single reason to criticise a free video featuring a couple of Mark's employees showing you the gear in his studio.
They can't use Mark's music, it would cost thousands to license and if not cleared the video would get a copyright strike. No one in their right mind would mind some DS style library music as a background to some footage of mark's incredible studio gear.
I've worked at British Grove and while it is arguably the best equipped studio in London, it is not a holy site, or dripping with mojo, especially as Mark is hardly ever there. It is a very high end professional facility where people go to work.
At least if you are a 'fan', look on the positive side, be glass half full, don't always look for ways to drag things down into negativity.

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
If I may be allowed to say so:

Chris is purely factual and pragmatic orientated and participates in several forums with the aim of getting and exchanging information and facts. No place for humour, hanging-around and worthless speculative talk about MK/DS as he is no "fan".

AMIT though is a place where fans hang around like in a pub and chatter and speculate with a very high nerd/geek factor. (And then there is Quizzaciously who triggered Chris from Day One.)  AMIT is not what Chris is used to find in a music forum (which AMIT isn't) and Chris with his pure pragmatism isn't what AMITERS are used to find at their place.

The key word here is "fan". Maybe we should keep in mind that fans are biased and because of that there is always potential for fights and disagreement. I think it is perfectly fine with both views and we should be able to get along in a civilized way. I for my part love to read Chris' posts and find they are a valuable contribution. Just my two cents.

LE
I think you are wrong and overgeneralizing. As I recall, AMIT was buildt on freedome of expression. Let people argue and go on. Everyone in here are real AMITERS and they are quite diverse. And welcome. Just don’t tell fellow amiters what they mean or how they are.

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
Where exactly am I wrong? I was only describing the situation, not telling anyone what to do?

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
I never connect 'negativity' with criticism or 'positivity' with praise. Yes, pessimists can generally be pissed off about everything, while optimists tend to generate praise all the time. I don't think it depends on your world view though. A pessimist is a well-informed optimist anyway. So I don't give a chance for a mistake to sneak in only because it's small and I call out mistakes if I see them. I also love it when my work is criticised, it's far more useful for improving than praise. I see no purpose of praise in discussions in particular as if something's great, it's kinda obvious... (And the discussion is just full of "Thumbs up!", "Great!", "Fantastic!" messages)

So when I see a piece of work, unless it's a renowned masterpiece (even if it is, so what? It doesn't mean it's perfect) or a famous person's quote, I wonder how you can do it better. If the answer is "You absolutely can't", well, my congratulations then, you have achieved perfection. But usually, and I always validate it by asking various people or analysing discussions, flaws are inevitable. It's just sometimes they outshine the thing in question, and sometimes doesn't. The comments section is THE BEST part about social media, and often they are more interesting than the post itself. Gotta LOVE commentators with valuable input, negative or not.

Can't use Mark's music? Well, how about no music at all then? Rick Beato's Abbey Road Tour is a good example of how to do a studio tour:

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Typical, shallow music store content.

I would just say "get a life". Because life is too short to get so outraged about a few minutes long video showcasing some off the gear in a studio.

This is a fan forum, and a fan forum is a place where fans gather to talk about whatever related to the main reason of existence of the forum and where all the members are allowed to express their opinions about whatever topic that may surface.

Get a lifer is another word for fan.

And we are proud of it.

Whoever who has a problem with what is a forum, the door opens and close.
Well, Chris and others just express their opinions, which should be allowed in a fan forum. So no reason to point at the door.

If you have problems with what a fan forum is, it is very clear you need the door as, also very clearly, a fan forum is not the place to be for you, unless you like to suffer what a fan forum is. This is a free world.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado

I would just say "get a life". Because life is too short to get so outraged about a few minutes long video showcasing some off the gear in a studio.

This is a fan forum, and a fan forum is a place where fans gather to talk about whatever related to the main reason of existence of the forum and where all the members are allowed to express their opinions about whatever topic that may surface.

And we are proud of it.

Well, Chris and others just express their opinions, which should be allowed in a fan forum. So no reason to point at the door.

If you have problems with what a fan forum is, it is very clear you need the door as, also very clearly, a fan forum is not the place to be for you, unless you like to suffer what a fan forum is. This is a free world.
The world you are describing is not a free world. A free world is a place for free discussion for everyone, not only for the ones you have decided that fit in from your personal definition of what a fanforum is. Noone here have a problem with what a fan forum is, and even if they had, their opinions should be welcome. We should discuss people arguments or statements, not disqualify their oplinions because of who they are.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado

If you have problems with what a fan forum is, it is very clear you need the door as, also very clearly, a fan forum is not the place to be for you,

Great. Funny that fans are placed above actual band members, and negativity is preferred over reality.
That's fine by me.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
The comments section is THE BEST part about social media

Really? Most quality YouTubers don't take part in the comments. A lot of YouTubers have complained about the toxic comments they receive. The comments section is regarded as the worst thing about Youtube by the people who make the content. Rick Beato replies to a small number of comments he receives in the first few hours after posting a video, then never returns. generally the comments then become a free for all of bickering.
I know YouTubers who 'don't allow' comments.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler

If you have problems with what a fan forum is, it is very clear you need the door as, also very clearly, a fan forum is not the place to be for you,

Great. Funny that fans are placed above actual band members, and negativity is preferred over reality.
That's fine by me.

Negativity?

Freedom of speech means that if you see a video and you don't like it, you are allowed to say you don't like it as far as you explain why, it's your opinion and is as valid as anyone opinion, including professional musicians or ex band members, this is a fans forum, so a place for fans to express themselves, there is no rule that forces you to only speak if you have a positive opinion.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler

And we are proud of it.

The world you are describing is not a free world. A free world is a place for free discussion for everyone, not only for the ones you have decided that fit in from your personal definition of what a fanforum is. Noone here have a problem with what a fan forum is, and even if they had, their opinions should be welcome. We should discuss people arguments or statements, not disqualify their oplinions because of who they are.

And this is not something I'm doing so I don't understand what you mean.

Here you can express yourself freely, so people complaining about people being negative, seems to me that they don't get the point that freedom of speech means you can be positive or negative, while people complaining about others being negative seems that only wants positive to be allowed, and tgats not freedom of speech.

And if you don't like to be in a freedom place, you can use the door and being back a to a safer word if freedom makes you suffer so much. Or you can stay and keep moaning about people expressing with freedom.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms

That's fine by me.

Negativity?

Freedom of speech means that if you see a video and you don't like it, you are allowed to say you don't like it as far as you explain why, it's your opinion and is as valid as anyone opinion, including professional musicians or ex band members, this is a fans forum, so a place for fans to express themselves, there is no rule that forces you to only speak if you have a positive opinion.

I don't have to explain why I don't like it. If I have to, it's no longer freedom  :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler

That's fine by me.

Negativity?

I don't have to explain why I don't like it. If I have to, it's no longer freedom  :)

You don't have to.

You can to, if you want.

That's freedom.

Nobody forces you to tell anything if you don't like it, but if you want, you can. It's always up to your choice.

And nobody has the right you can't say whatever you want because is negative. There are no rules about only positive opinions are allowed. They can express their opinion to, of course, and say they don't like your opinion is negative, but they are not more right than the ones they have a negative opinion. All opinions are welcome.

In the end, being negative about negative opinions is being negative as well.

Welcome to the darks side, hahahaha

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms

That's fine by me.

Negativity?

You don't have to.

You can to, if you want.

That's freedom.

Nobody forces you to tell anything if you don't like it, but if you want, you can. It's always up to your choice.

And nobody has the right you can't say whatever you want because is negative. There are no rules about only positive opinions are allowed. They can express their opinion to, of course, and say they don't like your opinion is negative, but they are not more right than the ones they have a negative opinion. All opinions are welcome.

In the end, being negative about negative opinions is being negative as well.

Welcome to the darks side, hahahaha

And here I completely agree.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
The comments section is THE BEST part about social media

Really? Most quality YouTubers don't take part in the comments. A lot of YouTubers have complained about the toxic comments they receive. The comments section is regarded as the worst thing about Youtube by the people who make the content. Rick Beato replies to a small number of comments he receives in the first few hours after posting a video, then never returns. generally the comments then become a free for all of bickering.
I know YouTubers who 'don't allow' comments.

Can't agree here as well. Commenters can point out mistakes that weren't obvious to the creator no matter how hard they worked on the video. This happened to creators with millions and tens of millions of subscribers. In my 18 years on YouTube, I witnessed first-hand videos re-uploaded, edited, and taken down because of that. And commenters can (often) provide some insights into the topic like somebody in the comment section of the video from the original post said he recorded strings in Mark's studio, it happens all the time.

Can't even start talking about all these comments with stories of ordinary people underneath music videos of popular songs. Stories of grief, happiness, tragedies, laughter and tears. You can write a whole book about these. Luckily, YouTube has a rating system so the best comments are always at the top. You've got the best jokes, best observations, and most cry-inducing stories there. And yes, sometimes the comment section is even better than the post itself.

It's funny that I can't agree almost with everything you say. However, "I disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.”

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 39 queries.