Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: My first impressions on the album  (Read 5124 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: My first impressions on the album
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2024, 12:54:33 PM »
@Robson and @Jbaent

it's not the same thing. On Two pairs of and, MK's voice is indeed doubled like it was on Broken Bones and on most of JJ Cale's recordings

But the Tunnel13 intro features female background voices that sounds almots like synth landscapes, never heard thins like that on previous MK recordings

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2024, 01:01:42 PM »
@Robson and @Jbaent

it's not the same thing. On Two pairs of and, MK's voice is indeed doubled like it was on Broken Bones and on most of JJ Cale's recordings

But the Tunnel13 intro features female background voices that sounds almots like synth landscapes, never heard thins like that on previous MK recordings

My heart has never changed? - Ruth Moody

Camerado? - Gillian Welch
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2024, 01:09:20 PM »
JF, some of your descriptions make me really curious. Scavengers Yard f.e. sounds really good among others. Also Tunnel 13... this will be two very long weeks...

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2024, 01:21:30 PM »
JF, some of your descriptions make me really curious. Scavengers Yard f.e. sounds really good among others. Also Tunnel 13... this will be two very long weeks...

LE

LE, I agree! But only two weeks! Happy days!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2024, 02:34:16 PM »

LE

it's always difficult to find the right words to describe musical sensations...

maybe when you will hear the songs you'll think that my descriptions were a little bit weird...  :)

I am teaching today (I'm in pause right now) and tonight I will go to another jam like yesterday, so no much time to listen again and post other impressions, but I will try tommorrow

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2024, 02:37:36 PM »
@Robson and @Jbaent

My heart has never changed? - Ruth Moody

Camerado? - Gillian Welch

I see what you mean, but no, it's different. At first time I thought it was synth layers. I had to listen to it again to hear it was vocals.
It's really beautiful, but definitely something not present on any MK previous record, at least to my knowledge

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2024, 09:53:03 PM »
JF I read your impressions very often and 'my imagination working overtime'  ;)
It's interesting that not once did you write that you don't like the song. 15 days.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2024, 10:43:35 PM »
OK I finally found the time to listen to the album again  :P

I stand to my first impression : the title track is the highlight for me. But it's all a matter of taste of course
tasty lead Les Paul, nice pedal steel, kind of "follow the ribbon" flavour, but witha proper ending, no fade out
I like the background female vocals too

This One’s Not Going To End Well is maybe the most innovative in term of chords-progression. Beacuse the other songs are almost all in very welle known territories, musically speaking. I Like it a lot too. I like melancholic ambiances

I like very much Two pair of hands, but you already know this track.

and well, I like watch me gone too  ;D

the overall flavour of the album sounds americana to my ears. But in a slow style. don't expect up-tempo country songs.

Tunnel 13 starts like it could have been the highlight of the album, but... it lacks a great solo on the outro like we are expecting for. A little bit frustrating, in the same way as the studio version of Hill farmer's blues if you see what I mean. There is a solo though, but too short and same repetitive lick

In my "article" (not sure if we can call it like this  ;D) I forgot to mention a nice little clean lead guitar on Before My Train Comes. Not sure if it is played with a pick or not, but it sounds a little bit in Hank Marvin's style.

Again, these are just subjective impressions. And you know it's a matter of taste in the end.

Difficult for me to give a global impression. Nice melodies, nice little licks here and there. Sounds and ambiances that sounds MK like we know of course. But I must admit that I didn't have the "Woww" reaction yet.
Dare I say it's a mix between Tracker and KTGC ?  :think  not sure... but the overall impressions is an album of ballads, melancholic atmposheres (at least to my ears, and I am only speaking music-wise)

Don't know if these words give you some hints for what you can expect... but as you know, I can't divulgue the streaming link which is a professional one, and I must be very careful with it  :)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2024, 10:48:11 PM »
I should add that the Tunnel13 intro made me think of a kind of Alan Parsons Project style

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2024, 10:51:00 PM »
another thing the intro in Sweeter than the rain is a bit strange because Lark's voice doesn't match very well Guy's ambient sounds...

when the song really starts, we fianlly know why : it's beacuse the key of the song is not the same as in the intro, and Mark's voice is already in the song key....

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2024, 10:52:04 PM »
Dare I say it's a mix between Tracker and KTGC ?  :think  not sure...

Oh, great ...  :disbelief

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2024, 11:03:32 PM »
Thanks JF! Can you find some more words for the rest of the songs maybe? I really enjoy reading this, as long as you are positive lol
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2024, 12:05:37 AM »
Thanks JF! Can you find some more words for the rest of the songs maybe? I really enjoy reading this, as long as you are positive lol

like I said, my favorites songs at the moment are the opener and the closer

if I should describe the others, here we go :

- Smart money ambiance made me really think to Nobody's got the gun and I'm the fool. Typically same guitar sound, and same kind of drum pattern and also A the end of the first chorus, the lead guitar repeats the end vocal line, but after the 2nd chorus, the lead guitar play a lick which become the recurrent one. Nice tastefull solo in the middle of the song, followed by pedal steel. Then the recurrent leick is played boith by guitar and piano. the outro is the recurrent lick played ad lib with little variations, but not much

- Scavengers Yard has a sort of "broken bones / early bird" pattern, but with great screaming distorted guitar. It sounds like in the OES era (millionaire blues) but not really a solo, more ambiant licks like in Kindgcome come. and Mark's voice sounds like JJ Cale. alongside the distorted guitar is a lick on clean guitar that sounds like we can't get wild. All the song is almost on the same chords. And there's a bridge very strange : Mark's voice sounds like if it was on the phone and you can hear laughs in the background. alosi lot of Synth sounds and there's a middle eight which sounds like Good on you son's chorus. On the outro, there are some Mark's sopken words, and it ends on a laugh in the background

- black tie jobs : starts on acoustic. there are chords orchestra. romantic atmopshere (musically). No drums. little guitar solo, nothing extravagant. proper ending, no fade

- tunnel13 : very emotionnal intro. I love it. female voices I'd say. melody in the first verse sounds like the one in river of grog. then, drums came in for the 2nd verse. ambiance a little bit between Terminal and So far from the clyde. But here, it's straight time. The outro starts great... but a bit frustrating for my taste... not long enough in term of guitar playing. There was the landscape for a great guitar solo, but it isn't there... a shame imho

- Janine : ballad atmophere which make you think you are on the road, in the train, watching landscapes through the window... female background vocals on the (catchy) chorus. Nce simple solo. aerian, but too short. Again, I would have hear more... it's like if the solo in Darling pretty had only few bars if you see what I mean... proper ending, no fade out

- Sweeter Than The Rain : really strange intro. I explained in a previous post. Mark's voice seems out of tune... but it's because Guy's sounds are not in the same key... sounds strange imho. The rest of the song is nice. A kind of Altamira flavour with acoustic guitar. when the clean electric guitar comes in, some bits made me think to Nobody's child, while the voice melody has some Rollin'on licks... proper ending, no fade out

- Before My Train Comes : again a ballad for the road. makes me think to the car was the  one but with a faster tempo. Hank Marvin's type of guitar sound. Background vocals on the chorus. Outro in the style of you don't know you're born, but with also pedal steel.  fade out

- This One’s Not Going To End Well. Very slow. ternary rhythm. acoustic guitar. romantic/melancholic. I like it a lot. little violin solo. The middle eight has a beautiful not so classic chords progression, repated in the outro. celtic flavour, but not that much. proper ending. no fade out

- One deep river : classic Mark's guitar tone with volume swells. Made me think to if this is goodbye. Very nice. Slow tempo. I love the chorus with female background vocals (made me think to EC songs). Little guitar solo after the first chorus. another one after the second chorus. then pedal steel. again, outro is too short. proper ending, no fade out

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2024, 12:35:52 AM »
Great read, thank you again!
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2024, 05:45:18 AM »
Merci JF  :) can’t wait to listen to the songs.

I was wondering if there were some keys arrangements by the Doc and you answered my question  :)
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 39 queries.