Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Swiss interview  (Read 1168 times)

OfflineKris-b

• Lady writer
Swiss interview
« on: May 13, 2024, 05:09:35 PM »
Another interview, unfortunately with German dubbing, but you can still understand most of it
https://www.srf.ch/play/tv/gredig-direkt/video/mit-gitarren-legende-mark-knopfler?urn=urn:srf:video:e1ecc702-e338-4b5e-8f9a-b2846b3d6852
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 05:24:33 PM by Kris-b »

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
Re: Swiss interview
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 05:34:36 PM »
Thank youuuu!!!

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 05:54:35 PM »
I will never understand dubbing or why it's still done in 2024. I find it such a retarded practice and has a direct correlation with not being able to speak or understand foreign languages.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2024, 07:43:42 PM »
I will never understand dubbing or why it's still done in 2024. I find it such a retarded practice and has a direct correlation with not being able to speak or understand foreign languages.

You say that because you are understanding english ?

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2024, 08:48:52 PM »

I say that because I find that using subtitles is much better in every way. I know I wouldn't be fluent in English (and other languages) the way that I am if content was dubbed in my country.
Even my 96 year-old grandma learned a few words in English just by reading the subtitles and associating with what people were saying.
Also, imagine going to watch The Godfather and not being able to listen to Al Pacino's voice, for example. What a nightmare.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2024, 09:05:20 PM »

I say that because I find that using subtitles is much better in every way. I know I wouldn't be fluent in English (and other languages) the way that I am if content was dubbed in my country.
Even my 96 year-old grandma learned a few words in English just by reading the subtitles and associating with what people were saying.
Also, imagine going to watch The Godfather and not being able to listen to Al Pacino's voice, for example. What a nightmare.

Well, they can be helpful. On German tv you even get subtitles or dubbing for Swiss German and Austrian stuff! That's maybe going a bit too far, though. I can't imagine it happening in the U.K., except maybe for Geordie ;-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2024, 09:08:39 PM »
Kris-b, thank you so much for this interview, it's really beautiful!
Mark is on great form, and the interviewer is really good.
What I find remarkable is that he is doing an interview to explain another interview (the German one we talked so much about)!

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2024, 10:27:35 PM »
I remember watching the latest season of "Miami Vice" and other programms on Dutch Television the 80's, original US language with Dutch subtitles. As me being German,  that helped a lot. They were always a year ahead of German television. Even today I still like to watch Star Trek from Blu-Ray in English Audio with English subtitles.

;D

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 09:41:17 AM »

Well, they can be helpful. On German tv you even get subtitles or dubbing for Swiss German and Austrian stuff! That's maybe going a bit too far, though. I can't imagine it happening in the U.K., except maybe for Geordie ;-)

Sometimes Scottish people get subtitles too. :)

I also don't understand dubbing. I watch a reasonable amount of "foreign" tv and films and I would never ever choose the dubbed version.

Maybe in animation it would be OK.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2024, 10:22:09 AM »
Sometimes Scottish people get subtitles too. :)

Aye! :-)
Well, the dialects are impossible to understand, I guess, unless live in a neighbouring area, like LE with Dutch, but even Scottish English can be difficult. But it's a great thing that people still speak those accents and dialects. All over Europe the dialects are sadly on the fade, and young people don't even want to speak with a local accent anymore. Everything is somehow streamlined by the media, Estuary English for everyone, or whatever the standard is in Germany, Italy or wherever.

But honestly, sometimes I find the subtitles useful for some varieties of American English, too. You know, the type where they pronounce the word banana with 3 r's, as Martin Amis put it.  ;D

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2024, 01:17:46 PM »
Quite apart from that, I often wonder how much of any foreign language MK understands, because he's always listening very attentively when an interviewer is talking to the audience, in this case in German.
Do we have information on how many languages he speaks or understands?
I know he wanted to improve his French around the mid-nineties and seems to get by, although I've never heard him speak it.
And it was quite funny how he slipped in bits of German during the last tour ("played in a scheisse band"). His pronunciation is actually quite good, so I wonder if maybe he learned a bit of German from his dad when he was small.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2024, 01:43:10 PM »
There are so many people that understand their native tongue only that dubbing is not shocking for me.
And you have not to stay focused to the screen.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2024, 02:05:25 PM »
Quite apart from that, I often wonder how much of any foreign language MK understands, because he's always listening very attentively when an interviewer is talking to the audience, in this case in German.
Do we have information on how many languages he speaks or understands?
I know he wanted to improve his French around the mid-nineties and seems to get by, although I've never heard him speak it.
And it was quite funny how he slipped in bits of German during the last tour ("played in a scheisse band"). His pronunciation is actually quite good, so I wonder if maybe he learned a bit of German from his dad when he was small.
I've always had the impression that he understands a basic level of German and could speak some sentences if needed. He always felt comfortable enough to speak it when playing in Germany. Probably learned it at school or university when he was younger.
I think he probably suffers from the same issue of all the native English speakers, in that the World around them accommodates their language, which makes less needed and much harder to develop language skills.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2024, 02:18:04 PM »
This is true. France used to be the last hold out but last time I was there everyone resisted my attempts to speak French and insisted on speaking English to me!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2024, 02:29:58 PM »
This is true. France used to be the last hold out but last time I was there everyone resisted my attempts to speak French and insisted on speaking English to me!

Haha, same thing happened to me. But years later, on holiday in Switzerland, I found people who had the patience to listen to my horrible French. They talk a lot more slowly, and they don't use those complicated numbers, like "four-times-twenty-plus-ten-plus-seven"  :lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 34 queries.