Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New for 2024  (Read 63699 times)

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
Re: New for 2023
« Reply #360 on: September 22, 2023, 03:31:39 PM »
I always assumed that "Heavy Up" was quite obviously inspired by that mother of all assholes, Donald Trump. Just like "Don't Crash the Ambulance" was quite obviously about Bush Sr. and Jr., or like "El Macho" was obviously about Jerry Springer. Which doesn't mean that everything fits - it doesn't. But that's the freedom of art: You take something out of the newspaper, but then enrich it, change it, transform it and make it something that's more universally true. A "character" that doesn't exist as such, but is constantly being reborn in various human beings. I know plenty of people who should "heavy up", even in my own life.  ;)

Oh, and I like "Heavy Up" a lot.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 03:33:51 PM by Rail King »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #361 on: September 22, 2023, 05:07:55 PM »
I always assumed that "Heavy Up" was quite obviously inspired by that mother of all assholes, Donald Trump. Just like "Don't Crash the Ambulance" was quite obviously about Bush Sr. and Jr., or like "El Macho" was obviously about Jerry Springer. Which doesn't mean that everything fits - it doesn't. But that's the freedom of art: You take something out of the newspaper, but then enrich it, change it, transform it and make it something that's more universally true. A "character" that doesn't exist as such, but is constantly being reborn in various human beings. I know plenty of people who should "heavy up", even in my own life.  ;)

El Macho is quite a weird song lyrically and for me it isn't obvious that it's about Springer. Possible, but maybe not.

Don't Crash The Ambulance is very stupid, did MK not notice two terms of Clinton?!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #362 on: September 22, 2023, 05:13:43 PM »

El Macho is quite a weird song lyrically and for me it isn't obvious that it's about Springer. Possible, but maybe not.

Don't Crash The Ambulance is very stupid, did MK not notice two terms of Clinton?!

Why stupid? If this is a conversation between father and son it makes sense.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #363 on: September 22, 2023, 05:27:07 PM »

It suggests Sr showing Jr round the White House which obviously wouldn't happen.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #364 on: September 22, 2023, 05:27:15 PM »

Between Bush Snr and Bush Jnr I have always assumed.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #365 on: September 22, 2023, 05:33:35 PM »

yes
Clear as the day

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #366 on: September 22, 2023, 05:44:58 PM »

Yes but Snr would not be showing Jnr round the White House, his desk, the nuclear buttons etc. He had moved out 8 years earlier.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #367 on: September 22, 2023, 05:51:18 PM »

Yes but Snr would not be showing Jnr round the White House, his desk, the nuclear buttons etc. He had moved out 8 years earlier.

Yes, I didn't realise that.   I wonder who it could have been about?
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #368 on: September 22, 2023, 06:03:40 PM »
Don't crush the ambulance is about the Bush...

Junior ask Senior to go with him to the white house, as he knows it, to show him where all things are.

You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #369 on: September 22, 2023, 06:22:23 PM »

Junior ask Senior to go with him to the white house, as he knows it, to show him where all things are.

Yes exactly. But musically I could never understand it. Because for me it has a more French (harmonica) atmosphere than Texas  :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 06:51:52 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #370 on: September 22, 2023, 06:57:46 PM »

Got his cojones on my desk in there
Made into a souvenir
Set of cufflinks, nice pair
The rest of him's someplace up here

If Bush Sr is visiting Jr at Jrs invitation, why does St have a desk at the White House with souvenirs?!

Sorry, I like the song but the concept is stupid. (IMO) :)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #371 on: September 22, 2023, 07:02:47 PM »

Made into a souvenir

If Bush Sr is visiting Jr at Jrs invitation, why does St have a desk at the White House with souvenirs?!

Well Junior is dumb, so he needed the assistance of daddy who knows the job, and the desk!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #372 on: September 22, 2023, 07:06:09 PM »

Made into a souvenir

Well Junior is dumb, so he needed the assistance of daddy who knows the job, and the desk!

The chorus doesn’t make sense either, “I’m handing over to you”, how can you hand over a job you got kicked out of 8 years earlier?

Honestly, MK should really just stay away from “funny” songs, he’s no Randy Newman!

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #373 on: September 22, 2023, 08:16:20 PM »
He's handing over to him because Junior is dumb and Daddy knows he need assistance.

That's what I always understood from the song. mk usually doesn't stick to the reality but creates an image, a situation

I agree with the funny songs. They are nice when you listen the first time, but they loose it very soon.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #374 on: September 22, 2023, 08:46:55 PM »
"mk usually doesn't stick to the reality but creates an image, a situation"

Exactly!

This song is not funny to me. It is full of sarcasm and irony.
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 35 queries.