Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert #55:2010.06.19, Arena, Leipzig, Germany  (Read 40186 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Concert #55:2010.06.19, Arena, Leipzig, Germany
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2010, 11:13:09 AM »
Listened to KTGC for the first time in a while today.
It's my least favourite MK album but I still enjoyed listening to it (except In the Sky, which is a terrible, terrible song). Just about any MK is good MK. :)
But it struck me that The Scaffolder's Wife (which along with Fizzy and the Still is one of the standout tracks on the album for me) could suit this band, Mike and John playing their whistles and pipes where the flute is on the record.
Guy, if you are reading, please make this happen!
I guess we fans can never totally agree. I find "In the sky" to be a gem. Maybe it's my nostalgia for Chris Wite's sax :) The terrible one for me on KTGC is TLWNF (although the live version is not that bad). This opener kind of set a "dull" tone to the album, much unlike "Border Reiver" or "What it is". Yes, the Scallolder"s wife is nice; so is Hear Full of Holes. My absolute favorite is Punish the Monkey, the one which, together with Silvertown Blues, really deserved a live treatment !! Oh well...

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2010, 11:22:52 AM »
Not really a fan of TLWNF either, but can listen to it.

In the Sky is just a really bad, sixth form love song for me, deserves to be on a James Blunt album.

Most of the album is "OK" but nothing to get excited about.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2010, 11:26:03 AM »
Actually I like this forum very much. I am relatively new to it, the site is very well organized, I have never read the rules until recently, only to find out that they are common sense and that I was naturally complying to them already. But sometimes common sense is not at all common :) It is nice to see admininistrators like Pottel applying the rules in a pragmatic rather than dogmatic way. Better the have strong rules applied liberally, rather than the other way round ;)

And we like having you here Herlock!

I think I speak for all the Editors when I say that we would rather not have any "rules" at all, but unfortunately you can ocassionally get people who just want to make things difficult.

Fortunately MK fans are generally a very reasonable bunch and I think I am correct in saying that we have only ever had one ocassion where we have had to enforce the "rules" and that time the individual in question had to be banned. A very, very unpleasant situation for all us Editors to deal with but in the end we were left with no other choice.  :-\

OfflineGiulio70

• Guitar George
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2010, 12:36:03 PM »
Well, here it's the guilty   ;D
Sorry guys, I'm from Italy I understand 70% of what you're saying about me.

When I wrote to Guy my purpose wasn't to offend him or the band, but to be sarcastic in order to
let him now that the 90% (i think) of the fans didn't appreciate the famous "new song"....and
that's certain and without doubt that almost everybody didn't like MK choice of playing this song.

So...

This is limit disrespecful.

If I would have been disrespecful, like you say, I could have wrote more...but mooooore than this  >:(

This is limit disrespecful.

It absolutely is. I don't think this is funny at all. It makes me cringe to think that the guy who sent this to Guy (no pun intended) actually claims to be a fan...

Yes I'm a fan, probably more than you because I have the courage to say to Guy what I think  >:( And I don't think It's funny too..it was not my purpose

If i were Guy, I had banned him from my forum. SO disrespectful. If you don't like the song, ok! But you can't say it in this way to the performer himself.

Maybe a person who tells honestly and with sarcasm his tough must be banned in your opinion ? Or you're better than me to say this, you stay in
silence and accept whatever...?

you are exaggerating Lars.
it is called sarcasm, not worth banning someone for.
there have been far worse posts then that.
why are you trying to be so restrictive on everything?
why should someone not be "allowed" to say their opinion about a specific song to the performer (part of it)??
we do pay to go to the shows, buy the simfy recs., buy the cd's...we do have the right to air our opinion.
nothing more, nothing less.

Thank you Pottel you're perfect in line with me  :)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2010, 01:04:32 PM »
Maybe the problem is when we think we have the right opinion... and opinion is like asses, everybody has one  ;D
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »
Maybe the problem is when we think we have the right opinion... and opinion is like asses, everybody has one  ;D

LOL,but in different shapes & sizes :o :o
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2010, 01:24:58 PM »
and opinion is like asses, everybody has one  ;D

And most of them are pretty shitty.

Offlinejimbobaby

• Local Hero
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2010, 01:53:56 PM »
Free speech rules I say!  That's why this forum is a fun place to be.  We can all have oiur little bouts of self pity or sarcasm but we always kiss and make up in the end.  I personally wouldn't send Guy an arsey message even if I agreed with the content (which I do on this occassion) simply because he puts himself out to provide the service and deserves good manners - He does however have a very keen sense of humour and sarcasm and engages in both if you strike the right tone.  On other occasions his silence speaks volumes.  Nuff said methinks.

Now for the free speech bit.  I think TLWNF is one of MK's loveliest songs.  It cheers neme up to end.  The arrangement is a bit odd with the often repeated title at the start but there is some lovely laid back guitar work and the melody is great.  Id much rather hear it live than TFATB or even TSW which is not my cup of tea but I agree that it would be rifght up this band's street.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2010, 02:35:24 PM »
Well if I were to exercice my right to free speech with Guy (which I will not do, again  I want to respect his way of thinking), I would certainly say that they are a bit conversative with all these "no questions about setlists", "don't publish the set lists", "no requests", etc. C'mon, it's just a list of songs ! They are no secret anyway... and even knowing by heart what to expect I could still be blown away by the Paris gig.
I would also say that fans would truly find it wonderful to have one (not 10 like the BOSS, just one) slot reserved for a "new" song every night. It seems that they started in this direction with the Get Lucky/Monteleone/ANISLA/Fish & bird slot; if this could be generalized to give us recordings of "Postcards from Paragay", "The man's too strong", "Setting me up", "On Every Street", "So Far From the Clyde"... and I'm only talking about songs they rehearsed, I'm not even talking about the martyr song which did not derserved to be burried alive, aka Tunnel of Love :)
Although I am not a big fan of the Shangri-La album I feel that "Postcards from Paraguay" is a great song, a great highly from 2008, sadly mssing. It would make up my day. Maybe they could also resurrect "Boom, like that", not a bad rocking song, even if its dry compared to Border Reiver or even Cleaning My Gun... it was only played in 2005. But at least we have the Denver recording.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2010, 02:36:13 PM »
And we like having you here Herlock!
Thanks man :)

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2010, 05:58:15 PM »
Listened to KTGC for the first time in a while today.

It's my least favourite MK album but I still enjoyed listening to it (except In the Sky, which is a terrible, terrible song). Just about any MK is good MK. :)

But it struck me that The Scaffolder's Wife (which along with Fizzy and the Still is one of the standout tracks on the album for me) could suit this band, Mike and John playing their whistles and pipes where the flute is on the record.

Guy, if you are reading, please make this happen!
I rate this album very high in MK's catalouge. It's almost a concept album and it has an incredible atmosphere with some really fantastic songs on  it, my favorite being Behind With The Rent. Just listened to the 2010 version of The Fish And The Bird and I think it's awesome! Addition of pipes really made it special.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2010, 07:17:20 PM »
Free speech rules I say!  That's why this forum is a fun place to be.  We can all have oiur little bouts of self pity or sarcasm but we always kiss and make up in the end.    .
Very well said!!! That's what makes this forum so great. Many thanks to the mods and the members! Free speach rules! But it has its down sides too, of course, and therefore its limits. Insults and rasism for instance. Never been a problem here, not to my knowledge, anyway. 

K2GC? I like it. Scaffolders wife and the fizzy and the still are great. I like let it all go and in rhe sky too. And the other version of behind with the rent is good. The herring and the nightingale? Like it! The rest: a bit boring. 

Offlinejoanzimm

• Camerado
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2010, 08:35:23 PM »
I haven't been on AMIT in almost a week and I just read all 7 pages of this thread.  All the sarcastic references to The Fish and the Bird were hysterical.  How about the Cod and the Crow :disbelief

Actually, I like the song very much when listening to KTGC but it didn't excite me when it was revealed as the 'new song' in the setlist. 

It's hard sometimes but pretty much it's alright

Love Expresso

« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2010, 08:36:49 PM »
Btw, I never found this (in)famous sentence at Guy's forum that you all are talking about for three sites now. Did he delete it or was it not put out by him?

LE

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2010, 12:01:32 AM »
Sorry. For my idiot acting here. I'm a bit jealous, i can't go to the gig in amsterdam. My excuses to everyone. It wasn't meant bad. I hope you understand. Lars.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 38 queries.