Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Best SimfyLive Recording so far?  (Read 42532 times)

Love Expresso

Best SimfyLive Recording so far?
« on: June 27, 2010, 01:38:32 PM »
Hi,

I know there has been some discussion about the quality of the simfy recordings in different threads already. My reason for this track is:
All those people who attended several live shows are maybe able to judge which recording is the best one, and I mean "best" in the sense of "best overall" which would mean soundwise and performance-wise if you know what I mean.

I have got London and Hamburg(EDITED) until now. They have the same setlist (apart from the GL/Monteleone swap),  and I  want to purchase at least two or three more shows. Luxembourg seems to have the best "alternative" setlist with WAM, CMG and DG. And Pottel never stopped saying that Antwerp was the best show so far.  ;)

So let come in your suggestions! The more, the better!

LE

EDITED: I changed Hamburg for Munich which I mentioned by mistake. Thanks Goldenheart96
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 06:09:05 PM by Love Expresso »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Best SimfyLive Recording so far?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 03:21:39 PM »
I initially purchased the RAH show and as we had been to a show and knowing what the sound was like there, and yes the recording captures the glorious 'echo' that the historic hall provides which to me makes this the ultimate download to capture Mark.

I then downloaded 'Luxemburg' purely to get WAM, CMG & DG and wasn't dissapointed by this show whatsoever!! I would like to purchase a couple more and am leaning to the Antwerp show purely 'cos Pottel say so!! Of course I would dearly love a copy of Bournemouth but we will have to wait and see.....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 03:29:09 PM »
I'd still say Frankfurt, but as you know, I'm biased  ;D
It was a kick-ass performance but I have to say the flute is too loud on the recording (IMO).

BTW LE, I think you meant Hamburg instead of Munich, right? Because MK played WAM in Munich. I was there  ;D

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 03:31:42 PM »
I have not attended all the concerts but I dare to give my 10 cents anyway on this. I have 9 simfy shows and my verdict according to the sound of these would be:
1) Luxemborg - for me clearly the best show.  (performance, setlist, sound)
2) Middelfart (the simfy was way better than the actual sound at the venue - performance and sound very very good)
3) Paris (performance, sound and setlist)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 03:40:16 PM by peterromer »
Cheers Peter

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 03:35:33 PM »
I have purchased all that were necessay to discover all songs as soon as possible, plus one to get the "MFN" effect in Coyote.
That it to say, RAH #1, Antwerp, Luxembourg, Frankfurt, Paris, Helsingborg, and Leipitz.
They all sound great to me. I have a preference for Paris, but I'm biased :) Although I promise that SoS, Marbletown, Speedway, TR are really perfect on the Paris show.
on my Iphone I put Paris as the main one, and I completed with Frankfurt for Get Lucky, Luxembourg for Why Aye Man, Cleaning my Gun and Donegan's gone, Leipitz for the Fish and the Bird. I made a playlist for all these, it rocks :)
Some people complained that Richard can't be heard because it is low in the mix compared to Mike, especially on SAN. I have not noticed obvious differences in the mix of all these shows, some people said the German ones were better mixed, can somebody advise ?

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 03:37:47 PM »
I'd still say Frankfurt, but as you know, I'm biased  ;D
It was a kick-ass performance but I have to say the flute is too loud on the recording (IMO).

BTW LE, I think you meant Hamburg instead of Munich, right? Because MK played WAM in Munich. I was there  ;D

Yes, same for me for Paris, once you attended *THE* show in your hometown, there is such an emotional impact on hearing exactly the same concert again that you totally loose objectivity. One need to be aware of this, there is not definite answer, my best show won't necessarily be yours !

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 03:51:57 PM »
I would recommend Oslo. The one RAH recording definitely has more overall bass than the other recordings.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 06:02:45 PM »
I have only listened to 4 or 5 so far but of those Luxembourg clearly had the best sound quality.

Very good performance and set too, so I would say it is a must have.

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Love Expresso

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 06:11:10 PM »
Thanks folks, was not online for the last two hours because I had to watch Germany beat England 4:1, but thanks to you all for these recommendations.
As far as I can see, Luxembourg is mentioned the most until now?

LE

OfflineShoaib

• Local Hero
    • Mark Knopfler - The Legend
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 09:06:04 AM »
Luxembourg is the best one to me...
But you can't afford to miss the "Paris Show" because of stunning "A Night in Summer Long Ago"
Mark Knopfler - The Legend [ www.timparsons.org.uk/knopfler ]

Onlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 09:22:08 AM »
I bought the recording from Cologne and the sound is good although there is a slight "bliep" sound during the first seconds of WII. Sound quality of the recording is much better compared to the sound quality at the gig.

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 02:50:35 PM »
Just downloaded the Luxembourg show. Wow! Donegan's Gone is awesome... I've never really liked that song but that version is stunning!  :o
And Cleaning My Gun of course... (even though MK plays it a little too "laid-back" for my taste... Could be rockier IMO)  8)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 03:09:26 PM »
Just downloaded the Luxembourg show. Wow! Donegan's Gone is awesome... I've never really liked that song but that version is stunning!  :o

Donegans gone was the one song that really stuck out for me at the Bournemouth show, like you I could take it or leave it but after the experience of hearing and watching Mark so closely play this version at Bournemouth I absolutley love it now. I particulary like this 'new' version with a lovely quiet build up which Mark plays a lovely bit of 'slide' then eventually on with the 'skiffle'!!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Love Expresso

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 09:47:41 PM »
I was obedient and downloaded the Luxembourg show.  ;D Right now I am listening to it! Good choice, great show! Thanks again for your advice. My remarks so far:

-Why Aye Man is better than 2008, but best versions for me are from 2005.
-Mike McGoldrick indeed seems to have to much space and parts on the entire show. Sometimes less is more
-A new beginning, a new approach for Marbletown, with the last chord reminding me of Ride Across The River...
-Great version indeed of Donegan's Gone  :o , it's a shame that this song is not an integral part of the setlist
-Nice to have a cool and laid back version of Cleaning My Gun, however, I am happy with the choice that Coyote was played more often.
-Sultans: I was thinking about opening a new thread with the title: Can anybody name a version of Sultans from 2010 without any mistake? (hoo hoo)
Really strange that he seems not to be able to deliver one clean and proper played version of that song. I am sure lots of people will call me an idiot and
mention now two dozens Sultans from this tour without any mistake....

Nevertheless, another great download, and another great concert to have! I am really grateful that simfy offers these shows!

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 10:21:43 PM »
Agree with most of your post,LE.
I think WAM was actually best in 2002 with sax.
SoS was best in 1996 with piano.
There is toi much flute and pipe on WII especially. Never Heard a good WII live, except 2002 maybe. Sometimes th

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 44 queries.