Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Anyone else confused by the Shangri-La album?  (Read 7594 times)

OfflineMillionaire Blues

• Camerado
Anyone else confused by the Shangri-La album?
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:50:31 PM »
The album has not resolved itself in my brain atall. I dont know whether its is Mark's greatest album or worst??? Such mixed emotions.

For example sometimes I think Whoop de doo is crap but other times I think it is the most amazing song ever?? I just dont know!! Is dont crash the ambulance a true masterpiece or not? again i just dont know!

I DO know that Back to Tupelos first chorus is sheer genius though...that i know!!!

Whats everyone elses view on this perfect/mediocre album??

Mark

Love Expresso

Re: Anyone else confused by the Shangri-La album?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 08:12:16 AM »
In my (very personal) opinion I think every MK album that was released after "The Ragpicker's Dream" is mediocre - as an album. Although every single one
contains really great songs (5.15 am, Back To Tupelo, The Scaffolder's Wife, In The Sky, So Far From The Sky, Piper To The End and so on), the albums as such are just a collection of songs whereas STP and RPD are more have a "real" album concept feeling. I know a lot of people do not like RPD, but it is unique in style and atmosphere from Mark's complete Oeuvre which is what I expect from a real artist. Every Dire Straits album had this special album feeling, but with Golden Heart Mark started to change this. GH was great but an overview of every single style he could think of at that time. Then he had a great creative phase from 2000 until his motorcycle break. I also sometimes think that Chet Atkins' pass away changed something in and took something from Mark's music.
The exitement of listening to a new MK album gets less and less over the last years for me because I always find more and more quotation from the own work and more and more scaling down of composition, production and not at last guitar playing which is a pity.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 09:15:41 AM »
In my opinion, Shangri-La is a very good album that contains some songs that are not good enough for it, or don
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 09:54:10 AM »
The album has not resolved itself in my brain atall. I dont know whether its is Mark's greatest album or worst??? Such mixed emotions.
For example sometimes I think Whoop de doo is crap but other times I think it is the most amazing song ever?? I just dont know!! Is dont crash the ambulance a true masterpiece or not? again i just dont know!
I DO know that Back to Tupelos first chorus is sheer genius though...that i know!!!
Whats everyone elses view on this perfect/mediocre album??
Mark

I can understand how you feel. Shangri-La is the album I'm having most troubles with. Overall I feel that it lacks both the energy of STP and the emotion of TRD - Aseptised would be the right word. BLT is a great single, but it is repetitive, it does not have the power of WAM. I can't stand Sony Liston, really wonder why Mark liked it so much live. I came to like Donegan's gone more after the interesting 2010 live versions. But luckily in every MK album you have some gems: Postcards from Paraguay is very sweet, it reminds me of my favourite anime from my childhood, "The Mysterious Citie of Gold" :) Too bad there is no live soundboard version of it...

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 09:59:58 AM »
In my (very personal) opinion I think every MK album that was released after "The Ragpicker's Dream" is mediocre - as an album.
A bit harsh of a statement, but I understand where you come from. MK himself seems to think that way composing the set lists for the Get Lucky tour: STP and TRD were cleary favored, in the end the GL album was reduced to two songs, and GH,SL and KTGC were almost non existent.
Still, I think GL was a bit of a revival - a nice mix between STP and TRD. and that KTGC is underrated - it is a finely crafted album.
Let's not forget that Dire Strait's biggest success by far, "Brothers in Arms", was not at all a "rocking" album: only one song can qualify as a rock song (MFN), 2 mid-tempo songs (TMSTS, OW), 1 stupid song (WOL), the remaining 6 songs are sweet and soft !

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:00:20 AM »
We do have the televised Berlin and Basel promo versions of Postcards though and they are both excellent!     BTW "Shangri-La" is one of my favourite albums.  The only song I have tired of is Donegan, but I loved it on the Get Lucky tour!    :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:03:31 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 10:03:09 AM »
We do have the Berlin and Basel promo versions of Postcards though and they are both excellent!     BTW "Shangri-La" is one of my favourite albums.  The only song I have tired of is Donegan, but I loved it on the Get Lucky tour!    :)
True, I have them, but they lack the flute and the "Paraguuuuuuuuaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiii !" of the 2008 tour that followed ;)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 10:05:57 AM »
We do have the Berlin and Basel promo versions of Postcards though and they are both excellent!     BTW "Shangri-La" is one of my favourite albums.  The only song I have tired of is Donegan, but I loved it on the Get Lucky tour!    :)
True, I have them, but they lack the flute and the "Paraguuuuuuuuaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiii !" of the 2008 tour that followed ;)

If you listen carefully, there is a Paraguayeeeeeee!   on the Berlin promo.   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesak4

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 10:07:54 AM »
I like GH & STP best, his style has changed gradually after that.
I think there are still some star pieces in all of them tho'

'no wonder he's confused'
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:10:34 AM by sak4 »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 10:08:52 AM »

If you listen carefully, there is a Paraguayeeeeeee!   on the Berlin promo.   ;D

Ah ok, I have listened only to Basel... still, the 2008 tour added something to it, don't you think ? there is even Paraguayeeeeeee ! on the album version actueally ;)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 10:14:11 AM »
Yes, I was lucky enough to hear Postcards a couple of times on the 2008 tour and I agree, the flute and the Paraguayeeeee! sounded great!    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 10:16:17 AM »
I like GH & STP best, his style has changed gradually after that.
I think there are still some star pieces in all of them tho'

'no wonder he's confused'

Funnily enough my favourite solo albums are the later ones, RPD (No1), Shangri-La and Get Lucky.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKay Edvin

• Camerado
  • MK - my hero!
    • MK Norge (Norwegian MK Fanclub)
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 10:49:08 AM »
The best song from this album! And this version is so wonderful  :)

"The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears"

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 10:58:12 AM »
Thanks for that clip and there is a "Paraguayeeeee!"   at 3.40!   ;D   

There was a really beautiful BIA at this concert too!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 11:06:07 AM »
The best song from this album! And this version is so wonderful  :)

100% agree, wonderful indeed. I wonder what Mark was thinking when he decided to drop this for the 2010 tour, and play "the fish and the bird"' a couple of times instead ? anyway.... the ways of the Lord... :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 40 queries.