Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark on Dylan Amnesty tribute album.  (Read 28629 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Mark on Dylan Amnesty tribute album.
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 11:38:23 PM »
yep, also like the Queens of the stone age.
and Johnny Cash of course, always...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 06:05:34 PM »
Thanks to uploader;

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 08:00:13 PM »
Thank you Naif and my thanks to the uploader also.   After a few listens, I really like this song very much.  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinegokay

• Guitar George
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 09:24:42 PM »
Thanks for the upload . Mark's singing is great in this song.

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 10:04:42 PM »
Thank you Naif and my thanks to the uploader also.   After a few listens, I really like this song very much.  :)
You're welcome Val. It's kinda strange actually because not so melodic song like we used to hear from mark but perfect lyrics. Probably one of the best farewell songs. And Mark's vocal keeps going better and better :P

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 10:23:13 PM »
Thanks. Sounds great.
Here is the original if anyone is interested. :)

Enjoy.

Cheers. BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 11:03:54 PM »
Can't say I enjoy Marks shaky voice in this. :(
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2011, 11:12:17 PM »
Here's Dylan's version on a birthday tribute to Frank Sinatra - not the best recording.

Nevertheless, note the very end, where Dylan says, "Happy birthday, Mister Frank", just as Mark referred to Dylan as "Mister Bob" on the recent tour. Given that this is the same song as on the "Amensty" tribute album, do you think Mark saw this around the time he was recording the song?

Perhaps someone sent him the video when he offered to do the song. Perhaps someone suggested that it would suit Mark and sent him the video to help persuade him.

Does anyone know the circumstances in which Mark came to record the song or, for that matter, the date that Mark made the recording?

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2011, 11:49:18 AM »
Great song & singing!!

Melody sounds like Piper to the End :)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM »
I listened to the Rotterdam '78 bootleg last night and have always loved his really expressive singing on stuff like Six Blade Knife etc.  I don't get this opinion that his voice is getting better and better personally and wish he'd put a bit more "oomph" into it these days!

I agree with Fletch about his vocal on this too especially at the start.  Just not his style at all.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2011, 05:44:49 PM »
Here's Dylan's version on a birthday tribute to Frank Sinatra - not the best recording.

Nevertheless, note the very end, where Dylan says, "Happy birthday, Mister Frank", just as Mark referred to Dylan as "Mister Bob" on the recent tour. Given that this is the same song as on the "Amensty" tribute album, do you think Mark saw this around the time he was recording the song?

Perhaps someone sent him the video when he offered to do the song. Perhaps someone suggested that it would suit Mark and sent him the video to help persuade him.

Does anyone know the circumstances in which Mark came to record the song or, for that matter, the date that Mark made the recording?
Guy answered on his forum that is was recorded in June.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2011, 05:50:13 PM »
"Restless Farewell" has an interesting back story.

Dylan wrote this song very quickly as a response (nay, a reaction, really) to a story in NEWSWEEK. The tune is based on an Irish song called "The Parting Glass", a song for singing at the end of an evening's drinking. Some say it, in turn, is based on a Scottish song collected and then revised by Robert Burns.

On 20 October 1963, the DULUTH NEWS TRIBUNE printed a story about Dylan as remembered by those who knew him in Duluth, where he was born, and in Hibbing, where he grew up. In essence, the Dylan described was very different from his public image. I cannot say for sure that Dylan read this story but NEWSWEEK had apparently been seeking an interview with him for some time and it was a few days after this report that Dylan was interviewed by a NEWSWEEK reporter. In the event, the story she posted was even worse, from Dylan's point of view, than the one published in Duluth - and NEWSWEEK got national (even international) circulation. It even repeated the rumour that Dylan had not written "Blowin' In The Wind", which had been a major hit for Peter, Paul & Mary earlier in the year.

The NEWSWEEK issue had a cover date of 4 November 1963 but was actually available on newsstands several days earlier than this. I have a photocopy of a telegram sent to NEWSWEEK (not by Dylan but someone else in the New York folk music scene) complaining about the article and the telegram is dated 29 October. It seems likely, therefore, that Dylan saw the NEWSWEEK on or about 29 October 1963. He recorded "Restless Farewell" on 31 October 1963 and the "dust of rumours" phrase in the final verse is a comment on his treatment by the press.

"Restless Farewell" is the last song on THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN' album and, in the liner notes, Dylan makes further comment on this treatment. After this, he became more wary of the press. He also fell out with his record company press relations guy, who had been very much a supporter in the early days. Dylan himself disappeared from New York for a short while afterwards, going off to California.

With its Scottish/Irish forebears, "Restless Farewell" is much fitted to Mark Knopfler's current band line-up. It is also a sound that I quite like.  If I were to criticise his vocal (and it is more a comment than a criticism), I always hear the last few lines of the last verse as a defiant statement. Mark sings them more with a tone of regret than defiance. There is nothing inherently wrong with this. It is not the way the lyric strikes me but it is a perfectly valid approach that produces a quite affecting rendering of the song, in my opinion. Quiet, slightly understated and, in consequence, rather effective.

For those who don't know them, here are the lyrics, which Mark follows closely:

Restless Farewell

Oh all the money that in my whole life I did spend
Be it mine right or wrongfully
I let it slip gladly past the hands of my friends
To tie up the time most forcefully
But the bottles are done
We

Offlineknopflerized

• Romeo
  • I might Get Lucky ...
    • Mark In Summer Long Ago
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 07:39:27 PM »
Gosh!I missed that post !!!
But a good friend forwarded me the link !
Great voice ! Nice Melody

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 37 queries.