Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert #33:2011.11.21, HMV Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK, # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 92243 times)

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
OK a slightly longer review the day after. I really really enjoyed my first Mark gig and can't wait for a longer Mark only show after the new album gets done. I was right up front, only two McCusker sized folks between me and the stage. Being up front where I could watch Mark's fingers definitely added to the experience. Sound was top notch, I enjoyed the sound of all of Mark electric guitars. I found myself watching Richard almost as much as Mark he's a very talented no.2 man in a band (another little bloke eh?)
I had hoped for Why Aye Man for an opener simply because I like the lyrics and story of the song but WII is a nice opener and it's varying dynamics a good indication of what is in store for the night. Now for the flutes,pipes and fiddle...these guys are superbly talented, and I like the songs Mark has done in this vein over the years, but having these songs interspersed between more rocking and bluesy tunes was disorienting to me. I probably would have gotten more into a Celtic 'segment' of the show as Bob used to group several acoustic numbers together in a portion of his shows 10+ years ago. Just my opinion of course.

I favored the songs featuring Mark on electric such as Sonny Liston, Brothers in Arms etc. During Privateering (which is a lovely tune and will surely stand out on the album) I was thinking 'I'd love to see Mark in a 4 piece band that is more blues/rock oriented. When next appeared the 3 piece on Sonny I was in heaven, favorite part of Mark's set for me. I enjoyed Haul Away greatly, more than Privateering, which hadn't happened when just listening to the recordings. I thought the crowd around me were very appreciative of the bands set, loud cheering and I'm sure most were Bobcats as none left until the end of the evening.

re: the Mark & Bob show, I thought Saturday night was better, not that the songs were played that much differently but they were the same exact three I had seen the night before, minus Trying to Get to Heaven which had been the best one Saturday. They more than atoned by the joint encore. I saw Bob speak to one of his minions near the end of his set and they ran off, after Watchtower I saw a Bob slave turn around what I hoped was Mark's amp so I expected Mark to come out and join on Like a Rolling Stone. He didn't but Bob announced Mark's return after that song and when I saw Mark come out and adjust the Mike stand I got excited. When they walked into the intro of Forever Young I was almost overwhelmed with emotion, as I had been jokingly bragging on ER that Bob would play the song for me as a final encore on my birthday show, so to have Bob AND Mark BOTH sing it (for ME no matter what the rest of you believe :D :D) was priceless.

As I mentioned earlier, when Mark sang the final verse he extended his arm in gesture to Bob while intoning 'may your song always be sung...' and it was a special moment.The crowd roared in agreement and Bob looked genuinely moved. Mark and Bob exchanged an embrace and had words after and Mark joined the band for the line up and bow. Bob and Mark both kept deflecting the cheers towards the other and anyone who thinks there is anything but tremendous respect and appreciation between these two should seek out a video and watch the encore a few dozen times.

THANK YOU BOB, THANK YOU MARK FOR A SPLENDID TOUR. :) :) :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:12:26 AM by arabia »

Rollergirl

Nice review Arabia, thanks  :)

And YES they DID sing that song just for you, don't let anybody tell you otherwise!  ;)

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
What a birthday evening !
You're the man , arabia ! ;D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
WOW arabia!    What a great birthday party!   Thank you for your review and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself with Bob and Mark!  :D
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
As I mentioned earlier, when Mark sang the final verse he extended his arm in gesture to Bob while intoning 'may your song always be sung...' and it was a special moment.The crowd roared in agreement and Bob looked genuinely moved.

Priceless! Thanks for the review!

I'd love a video of that one.

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
MP3 of youngsbest recording of BD set:

CD 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?ahuy0q2ichyctig
CD 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?cshfsgaxmwzsuac

Thanks to Lilraven at ER for media fire links :)

Mark's playing on Forever Young is beautiful.

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
MP3 of youngsbest recording of BD set:

CD 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?ahuy0q2ichyctig
CD 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?cshfsgaxmwzsuac

Thanks to Lilraven at ER for media fire links :)

Mark's playing on Forever Young is beautiful.

That Forever Young must be no1 this tour. Even if I was far from there, just listening to that last verse with Mark was incredibly moving.

Expecting rain says it was video captured! Woho! :)

Offlinearabia

• Camerado

my phone isn't much as a camera, but an end of tour shot.

OfflineGennT

• Camerado
  • Where them chilly winds don't blow...
Arabia ,this will probably a day you'll never forget. Happy Birthday and all the best to you!

I got shivers while listening to the recording! It makes me glad that I'm a fan of these two legends!

Offlinearabia

• Camerado

OfflineTally

• Camerado
Holy cow, that version of Forever Young is sublime.

Must have been a real treat to hear and see that one live, thanks for the reports. And here's to hoping that MK and Bob do something in the studio together again. What a fantastic ending to the tour.

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
I can't wait to listen to it but I have to ...

Hey arabia, I wish you the same birthday gift year.  ;)

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
Mark then joined him on stage for the finale forever young which until Mark sang those words i don't think even the BD fans knew what he was singing.

Not a single fan near me didn't know what they were singing, but project away... ::) ::) ::)

just seemed a large cheer went up when Mark sang forever young and there didn't seem to be much crowd noise before then.I appreciate the fact that for long time Bob fans the song was a killer moment i just didn't get that vibe from where i was sat anyway i am happy for you its nice when your hero delivers on cue.

Offlinearabia

• Camerado
Those of us who knew the tune cheered wildly as well, what a treat to have them end the tour singing together!! :) :)

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo

For those who want to listen. I think it's fabulous. Mark should do some more Dylan songs!
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 39 queries.