Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: North American tour announced with Bob.  (Read 65691 times)

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
Re: North American tour announced with Bob.
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2012, 10:29:24 PM »
I'm ok to go back again. I know exactly what to do and how to do it.  ;D

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2012, 10:33:48 PM »

I´m not saying I wont be back there. I´d rather go to the SECC, although I´d never been there, looks more like a venue that the Braehead...

It was a really bizarre experience to enter a commercial mall, and follow the signals to the venue. I´m used to enter directly to the venues from the street  ;D

Not to mention the taxi´s waiting... If I´ll go back there, I´ll bring some taxi phone numbers with me, and I will call them from the outside  ;D

By the way... Those NA venues are really big ones... Does DB fan base fit them?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:37:09 PM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2012, 11:20:39 PM »
The SECC isn't a great venue either IMO, at least for acoustics.  The Clyde Auditorium where he played in 2001 was very nice I thought. 

Ray Davies is using The Royal Concert Hall in October which is situated right in the city centre.  I've never been there but that might be a good venue for Mark in Glasgow, however I think The Edinburgh Playhouse is fantastic for his next visit to Scotland.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
Are not the SECC and the Clyde the same thing? I mean, the Armadilo thing...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2012, 11:29:01 PM »
Are not the SECC and the Clyde the same thing? I mean, the Armadilo thing...

They're operated by the same people but two separate venues.  The SECC has 4 halls and is used for exhibitions as well as concerts.  The Armadilo has just a stage and seating.  the SECC has been there since the mid/late 80s but the Armidilo is a far more recent building.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2012, 11:52:49 PM »
Playhouse is great  :D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2012, 08:07:43 AM »
I love the Playhouse too.  I hope it's one of the venues in 2013, if so I'll be there! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
Yes, the venues they selected for DC, Boston, Philly, and NY are huge arenas. It's very different as MK hasn't played in venues of this size in the US since the OES tour.

I don't understand the reasoning behind selecting these huge venues for the NA tour this fall. BD was in Rochester MN (Mayo Clinic's home) within the last month so lots of his fans must have gone to that concert at a much smaller venue than is being offered just up the road in St. Paul/November when BD and MK tour together. I can't see that these places will fill. Nothing more lonely than attending a concert that is sparsely attended (or seemingly so because of the inappropriateness of the size of the venue).

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2012, 05:16:21 PM »
Does anyone think Mark will be given an extended slot this time?  Last time it was just over 70 mins but since he isn't touring NA this time in 2013 he might want to use this as a time to play new songs and some older ones too.  Maybe a 90 min concert with Sultans and R&J this time.  Just a thought, and it would make sense for Mark.  I guess it's up to Mr Bob.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2012, 07:50:40 PM »
"dmg" has got it right.

The SECC and Armadillo are right on the River Clyde and quite close to the city centre. Though not right in the centre, they are walkable - not the most scenic of walks, though the walk along the Clyde is not too bad. There is also a train station quite close to them - just one stop from Central Station, though you have to go down underneath the main station to get to the right platform.

If you can afford to stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on the site, there is a covered walkway right from the hotel to the SECC.

Also, from one of the lifts in the Crowne Plaza (the right hand one) you can look down on the Armadillo from above, which is an unusual viewpoint.

I was once in that lift and saw a seaplane approaching to land on the River Clyde (there is a tourist service to Loch Lomond and out to the west coast of Scotland). It is a very odd sensation to be in a building and to look down on a plane landing. Even odder than being in the World Trade Center (as was) and looking down on helicopters flying along the Hudson.

OfflineFat Bob

• Guitar George
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »

I

OfflineFat Bob

• Guitar George
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »
I think it was one of the coolest thing MK has done in years and I really was proud for him when he started the Dylan tour last year and played nearly no Dire Straits stuff at all at the first shows...

LE

I agree- and as a fan of both, I could enjoy both halves of the concert. Unfortunately, not all the Dylan fans agree, but then again I doubt if you would get agreement amongst Dylan fans on anything...

And it seems some American fans regard Mark and DS as the same thing- over on ER in the discussion section on Dylan's current solo tour there was a comment "Some guy behind us wanted to know where Dire Straits was at because they were supposed to be with Bob"...it seems as if Mark may have an uphill struggle if this is what people expect.

Offlinesak4

• Camerado
« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2012, 06:43:45 PM »
The SECC and Armadillo are right on the River Clyde and quite close to the city centre. Though not right in the centre, they are walkable - not the most scenic of walks, though the walk along the Clyde is not too bad. There is also a train station quite close to them - just one stop from Central Station, though you have to go down underneath the main station to get to the right platform.

If you can afford to stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on the site, there is a covered walkway right from the hotel to the SECC.

Also, from one of the lifts in the Crowne Plaza (the right hand one) you can look down on the Armadillo from above, which is an unusual viewpoint.
I remember way back in ?1991/2 going to DS at SECC as we were on hols in Scotland, the concert was in small venue and I stood near the front.  End of OES tour.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2012, 07:05:52 PM »

I remember way back in ?1991/2 going to DS at SECC as we were on hols in Scotland, the concert was in small venue and I stood near the front.  End of OES tour.

I was there on Friday 13th September!  They played 4 nights.  It was only the start of the tour, this was the next venue after the album was released (it being released during their run at Birmingham prior to Glasgow).

Offlinesak4

• Camerado
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2012, 04:35:09 PM »
Yes, right start of tour.   Good to have a smaller venue.  Only time I have stood at the front.   I think Wembley had sold out, couldn't get tickets. :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 39 queries.