Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Privateering - the reviews  (Read 60417 times)

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
Re: Privateering - the reviews
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2012, 09:25:10 PM »
Yes, I noticed it came up as "Don't forget your head" when I imported it to iTunes LOL.

" Don't forget your head" - the "lost" track from the film Highlander  ;D
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2012, 10:45:36 PM »
Or it could be the theme song from a movie pitch called Marie Antoinette - Her Life and Times. Oh, this could go on and on! ;D

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2012, 10:14:47 AM »
In case anyone has missed it, Marks website is updating interviews and articles...

http://www.mark-knopfler.info/articles.htm
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Love Expresso

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2012, 10:29:36 AM »
Thanks for that!

While searching through it, I found this 2009 Chuck Ainlay interview about Get Lucky and those recordings. Have not read it before! I am rediscovering right now what a great record and ALBUM Get Lucky is, and as an album I would prefer it to Privateering at the moment... it just hast this incredible feel of completeness and "one-piece"... I like that statement of Chuck about the questions what happens if things do not always work out properly:

"Trust yourself. When you know it

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2012, 06:02:12 PM »
I like that statement of Chuck about the questions what happens if things do not always work out properly:

"Trust yourself. When you know it

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2012, 09:26:02 AM »

... it just hast this incredible feel of completeness and "one-piece"...

Very true. I don't think he wrote better songs at that time, or recorded them in a better way, but he chose the right ones, not too many, and arranged them perfectly. What came out is arguably his best solo album.

Offlinebade25

• Guitar George
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2012, 07:29:58 PM »
Also first place on German JPC:  http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/home/home   Bravo! :)
Life is a holiday!

Offlinejennja

• Guitar George
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2012, 09:29:22 PM »

Review: Knopfler creates subtly beautiful tunes

SCOTT BAUER | September 10, 2012 10:50 AM EST | 

Mark Knopfler, Privateering (Mercury/Universal)

Mark Knopfler, the British guitarist best known as the frontman to Dire Straits, returns with his seventh solo record, the subtle "Privateering" that's a moody and entrancing musical travelogue spread over two discs.

Employing world-class musicians, like Tim O'Brien on mandolin, the 63-year-old Knopfler uses his increasingly world-weary voice to spin tales of gamblers, lovers and seafarers from across the globe over the 20 original tracks.

O'Brien is just one of several guests who add layers to the sound not typically heard in popular music, including whistle, flute, pedal steel, harmonica, fiddle and accordion. Along the way Knopfler delves into country, blues, Celtic folk and rock, melding the different styles into a cohesive whole.

CHECK THIS TRACK OUT: On "Seattle," Knopfler picks his acoustic guitar to tell the story of two people falling out of love, despite their shared affection for the rainy city. Ruth Moody of the Wailin' Jennys provides lovingly aching backup singing, perfectly fitting the mood."

"O'Brien is just one of several guests who add layers to the sound not typically heard in popular music, including whistle, flute, pedal steel, harmonica, fiddle and accordion."......................can't say that loud enough can we????  Bet soon a longer review will be coming from hopefully...Headbutler at Huffpost

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20120910/us-music-review-mark-knopfler/

" I'm just living with the ringing of tomorrow's ancient rhymes"

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2012, 03:32:01 AM »
Mark Knopfler
Privateering
added: 11 Sep 2012 // release date: 3 Sep 2012 // label: Mercury
reviewer: David Spencer

Email this album review
Printable version
Imagine the fuss if Chris Martin decided now was the time to finish Coldplay and then the following years and years of calls for a reunion. When a singer decides to end the career of a band it is often a brave move and it does not come much braver than when Mark Knopfler put Dire Straits into retirement back in 1995. At the time the band were still one of the biggest in the world, after shifting 30 million copies of Brothers In Arms alone.

Since then Mark Knopfler has produced six solo albums, of varying quality but always superbly crafted and made with a great deal of affection. Given that this seventh album comes only three years after his last, it is surprising that Privateering is a double, containing 20 tracks (Knopfler

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2012, 09:32:58 PM »
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlinejennja

• Guitar George
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2012, 11:42:37 PM »
I enjoyed reading the review El Macho provided. Those long and loving reviews are the best.

While I liked Stuart Bauer's review..it was way too short. I get the feeling that MK's attitude on 'casting shows' and what he said (another thread here) was wonderful to hear, that those  views may make some in the industry give him and this new cd a pass, or just a slight nod-- only because he's still one of the absolute best. (Rolling Stone... a little nod it was)

And...perhaps others won't agree with me and feel the same as Stuart's review...I never thought Seattle was about two people falling out of love. It does make sense, but I think it could as much be about just be two people who for whatever reason (the economy) try to find a different place to live...and they've been disillusioned by so much..

This cd, as MK has said, talks about a lot of people who are using their wits to stay afloat...300 million in US (or so) and 46 million impoverished--elsewhere the same...or more.
" I'm just living with the ringing of tomorrow's ancient rhymes"

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2012, 11:45:31 PM »
interesting to read about the castings show thing, considering his daughter is a huge xfactor fan (michael collins?) :-)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinea visitor

• Local Hero
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2012, 02:37:27 PM »
Album Review: Mark Knopfler, Privateering

Being a musician is easy. Or at least that

Offlinenando

• Guitar George
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2012, 11:25:35 PM »
A Portuguese review

http://discodigital.sapo.pt/news.asp?id_news=45886

Saturday, September 8, 2012 | 18:38
'Privateering' Mark Knopfler
Jo

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2012, 04:19:21 AM »
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/privateering-20120911

"Redbud Tree," a highlight of Mark Knopfler's eighth solo album, could've been written 100 years ago. But given our ecocrisis, this tree-hugging folk gem, embossed with a shimmering fingerpicked Strat, feels cannily modern. Knopfler's sueded voice has changed little since his 1980s heyday, and his elegant electric-guitar work sounds better than ever. The 20 songs, most top-shelf, are a textbook of folk styles, from Irish ballads ("Kingdom of Gold") and country-flavored weepers ("Seattle") to slide-driven blues ("Don't Forget Your Hat") and Tin Pan Alley nostalgia ("Radio City Serenade"). On the title track, he shows offhis acoustic playing, a folk-rock vet returning to the source.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 40 queries.