Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Privateering after about a month  (Read 27773 times)

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
Re: Privateering after about a month
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 08:12:09 PM »
Privateering is such a versatile album, I can listen to the whole album and then back to square, erm, track 1. The same thing applies to the particular sound and feel of the different tracks. And it never gets boring. Somehow I like "Today Is Okay" very much because it is a real fun song: "more steak....and potatoes..."  :clap

Sometimes I find myself skipping "Corned Beef City" and "After The Beanstalk".

To sum it up "Privateering" is in my view more a collection of different songs and stylistic approaches than a concept album, I presume MK wanted to make a Blues record, but the record company didn't want him to do this, so he mixed it up a little bit.  And they didn't notice..... :smack

And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 08:13:41 PM »
Personally after listening to the album for about 500 times  8) I can honestly say its by far an amazing album. All subjective but I think it's up there with STP and GL (those being in my top spots) Songs like Yon Two Crows, Go Love, Drowned Submariner are incredible and the blues songs really are that, BLUES. Blues done very very well. MK could play two tea spoons and make me happy.

Superb album IMO.
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 08:15:50 PM »
Privateering is such a versatile album, I can listen to the whole album and then back to square, erm, track 1. The same thing applies to the particular sound and feel of the different tracks. And it never gets boring. Somehow I like "Today Is Okay" very much because it is a real fun song: "more steak....and potatoes..."  :clap

Sometimes I find myself skipping "Corned Beef City" and "After The Beanstalk".

To sum it up "Privateering" is in my view more a collection of different songs and stylistic approaches than a concept album, I presume MK wanted to make a Blues record, but the record company didn't want him to do this, so he mixed it up a little bit.  And they didn't notice..... :smack

100% agree.... it all depends on what mood you are in sometimes... It's amazing how someone can say "I really don't like............." when I can adore that song.

Knopfler writes a song for everyone :)

Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 08:19:06 PM »

Knopfler writes a song for everyone :)

;D

That's true.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »
After all this time, my favourites on the album are pretty much the same from the very first listenings.

It's funny, but some days ago someone have told about how strong Privaterring would be being a single album. We always dream of more and mora MK music, but sometimes I tend to agree on that statement. Problem is, everyone would have their own opinion on what would be the songs in the single CD.

I have my favs, as I said, and I think my own comprised album would work better in a different order list. As it follows:

Yon Two Crows
Corned Beef City
Dream of the Drowned Submariner
Redbud Tree
Go, Love
Miss You Blues
Privateering
I Used to Could
Your perfect song
After the Bean Stalk
Got to Have Something
Radio City Serenade

Regarding the lyrics, some are weaker than his normal job, indeed. But there are a lot of highlights, very strong lyrics, very imaginative stories. Privateering, Yon Two Crows, Kingdom of Gold (just the lyrics, though), Radio City Serenade, Dream of the Drowned Submariner atre, in my opinion, highly elaborated.

These songs have the golden touch MK always had over me in the past, which is putting me in the place of the character.
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 09:43:12 PM »
After all this time, my favourites on the album are pretty much the same from the very first listenings.

It's funny, but some days ago someone have told about how strong Privaterring would be being a single album. We always dream of more and mora MK music, but sometimes I tend to agree on that statement. Problem is, everyone would have their own opinion on what would be the songs in the single CD.

I have my favs, as I said, and I think my own comprised album would work better in a different order list. As it follows:

Yon Two Crows
Corned Beef City
Redbud Tree
Go, Love
Miss You Blues
Privateering
I Used to Could
Your perfect song
After the Bean Stalk
Got to Have Something
Radio City Serenade

Regarding the lyrics, some are weaker than his normal job, indeed. But there are a lot of highlights, very strong lyrics, very imaginative stories. Privateering, Yon Two Crows, Kingdom of Gold (just the lyrics, though), Radio City Serenade, Dream of the Drowned Submariner atre, in my opinion, highly elaborated.

These songs have the golden touch MK always had over me in the past, which is putting me in the place of the character.

Yes, I agree to the fact that some lyrics might be weaker or more "simple" than his usual work. Maybe Dream of.. is such an example..but then again, what a wonderfully composed melody! Dream of takes me away each time..like into a dream, so many details and the drifting feeling that song gives..just awesome!

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 10:35:10 PM »
Fieneke
You didn't like Telegraph Road? I'm sure you were a member of the forum with that name many years ago! But it's such an archetypal DS song, marvellous control over tempo and dynamics, and a great MK guitar solo. Admittedly (like almost everyone else here) I'd rather he alternated playing it with Tunnel of Love. But you can't have everything!

Goon525 I can't remember that I have been an active member of Telegraph Road. Perhaps I have been reading there now and then, but in 2006 after I discovered MK, I became a member of MKnews and since AMIT started I have been here!  ;D

Telegraph Road wasn't special to me and neither the other 2. I listened to them now and then and the lyrics of TR are great but at the concerts I realized what a power those songs had by the way Mark and the guys played it live! It really was amazing and to be honest it is hard to imagine that they weren't my favourite songs before!  :hmm

Quote Fordie: Somehow I like "Today Is Okay" very much because it is a real fun song: "more steak....and potatoes..."  :clap

I have the same with the sentence: "I'm gonna knock that man clean out.....He's going down, no doubt!  ;D

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »

Yon Two Crows
Corned Beef City
Redbud Tree
Go, Love
Miss You Blues
Privateering
I Used to Could
Your perfect song
After the Bean Stalk
Got to Have Something
Radio City Serenade

Yes, I agree to the fact that some lyrics might be weaker or more "simple" than his usual work. Maybe Dream of.. is such an example..but then again, what a wonderfully composed melody! Dream of takes me away each time..like into a dream, so many details and the drifting feeling that song gives..just awesome!

Well, to me, actually, Dream... is one of the good lyrics. It makes me try to enter the head of the poor submariner. What would I be thinking if it was me?, is what I always wonder.
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 12:12:34 AM »
Quote from: goon525 on October 14, 2012, 03:46:54 PM
Fieneke
You didn't like Telegraph Road? I'm sure you were a member of the forum with that name many years ago! But it's such an archetypal DS song, marvellous control over tempo and dynamics, and a great MK guitar solo. Admittedly (like almost everyone else here) I'd rather he alternated playing it with Tunnel of Love. But you can't have everything!

Goon525 I can't remember that I have been an active member of Telegraph Road. Perhaps I have been reading there now and then, but in 2006 after I discovered MK, I became a member of MKnews and since AMIT started I have been here! 

Telegraph Road wasn't special to me and neither the other 2. I listened to them now and then and the lyrics of TR are great but at the concerts I realized what a power those songs had by the way Mark and the guys played it live! It really was amazing and to be honest it is hard to imagine that they weren't my favourite songs before! 

Quote Fordie: Somehow I like "Today Is Okay" very much because it is a real fun song: "more steak....and potatoes..." 

I have the same with the sentence: "I'm gonna knock that man clean out.....He's going down, no doubt! 

Fieneke

Sorry, I think I must have mixed you up with someone else then. Before this forum, there was a mailing list thingy run by someone called Snowy, I think. (I may have this name wrong.) I'm going back to the mid-90s, and this was quite early days for Internet groups. Someone you remind me of must have been a member, but my memory stinks these days, so apologies!

Offlinejerrymb

• Guitar George
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 04:16:06 AM »
Privateering is my least favorite MK album I'm sad to say. I find many of the songs to be dull and boring. I can't find a single song out of the 20 on the album that even comes close to the best tracks on MK's other albums. I haven't given up though. I'll continue to play it and hope the songs take on a deeper meaning over time.

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »
I've been listening to it a lot, and while I'm glad to have new material from Mark, most of the album is just so-so.  I can't pick out a single track that I would rate as truly exceptional.  My faves are Privateering, YTC, Haul Away, and Submariner.  The blues tunes are mostly throwaways lyrically, and I find it irritating that Mark gave Kim Wilson all that space - I wish he'd played some of those solos himself, on the gee-tar.  That would have made for a better album, to me.

I'll listen to it for a while, but I've e feeling that after a few more weeks, it'll go on the shelf next to KTGC and Get Lucky, seldom to be listened to thereafter.
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2012, 08:47:19 PM »
I've been listening to it a lot, and while I'm glad to have new material from Mark, most of the album is just so-so.  I can't pick out a single track that I would rate as truly exceptional.  My faves are Privateering, YTC, Haul Away, and Submariner.  The blues tunes are mostly throwaways lyrically, and I find it irritating that Mark gave Kim Wilson all that space - I wish he'd played some of those solos himself, on the gee-tar.  That would have made for a better album, to me.

I'll listen to it for a while, but I've e feeling that after a few more weeks, it'll go on the shelf next to KTGC and Get Lucky, seldom to be listened to thereafter.

That expresses my feelings almost exactly.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2012, 09:43:11 PM »
Quote from: goon525 on October 14, 2012, 03:46:54 PM

Sorry, I think I must have mixed you up with someone else then. Before this forum, there was a mailing list thingy run by someone called Snowy, I think. (I may have this name wrong.) I'm going back to the mid-90s, and this was quite early days for Internet groups. Someone you remind me of must have been a member, but my memory stinks these days, so apologies!

Please Goon525 don
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:46:09 PM by Fieneke2 »
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »
GL and STP still my favourites. Something missing from Privateering that I cant quite work out.

Offlinejerrymb

• Guitar George
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2012, 01:32:40 AM »
What's missing for me is that Privateering is weak lyrically. Kill To Get Crimson is a masterpiece next to Privateering. I'm actually shocked at how mediocre Privateering is. Listen to the new Dylan album Tempest and then listen to Privateering. The difference in quality and songwriting is staggering.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:35:47 AM by jerrymb »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 38 queries.