Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Privateering after about a month  (Read 27770 times)

Offlineanother brother

• Local Hero
Privateering after about a month
« on: October 13, 2012, 01:31:23 PM »
some time went into the land after the release.
did i tell you, that "privateering" is a masterpiece ?

listening every day.

a rare piece in a time full of plastic chart music

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Privateering after about a month
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »
After a month, I didnt listen to it from about two weeks...

Its a good record, but I dont consider it as the best, actually is my 4th favourite after Get Lucky, The Ragpickers Dream and All the Roadrunning.

When it cames out it was in third position, but it lost one position in the latest weeks.

Not only I didnt listen to it in the last two weeks but also I dont feel like playing it in the next few days... Funnily, today I played "Kill to get crimson" and I loved it as much as when it came out.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineanother brother

• Local Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 04:41:54 PM »
i prefer "Privateering" -

Haul away, Privateering, Go Love, Dream of, Seattle, Radio City ... Follow The Ribbon ...

Repeat Button pushed and fixed.

It
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:16:14 PM by another brother »

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 05:05:58 PM »

Haul away, Privateering, Go Love, Dream of, Seattle, Radfio City ... Follow The Ribbon ...

It

OfflineBroumen

• Guitar George
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 05:07:47 PM »

Haul away, Privateering, Go Love, Dream of, Seattle, Radfio City ... Follow The Ribbon ...

It

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 05:28:04 PM »
After a month, I didnt listen to it from about two weeks...

Its a good record, but I dont consider it as the best, actually is my 4th favourite after Get Lucky, The Ragpickers Dream and All the Roadrunning.

When it cames out it was in third position, but it lost one position in the latest weeks.

Not only I didnt listen to it in the last two weeks but also I dont feel like playing it in the next few days... Funnily, today I played "Kill to get crimson" and I loved it as much as when it came out.

+1  except I would say STP is my preference for top spot in place of AtRR.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »
I didn't listen to it the last three weeks or so, only skipping to some single songs that I wish to hear, most of the time the same ones, like I Used To Could, Go, Love, Miss You Blues or Don't Forget Your Hat and Occupation Blues.  Sometimes also Redbud Tree. The rest is just not working as an album, sorry to say. I wondered if anyone would come up with a thread like this and I had plans to do so myself, so thanks!  ;D

I was looking very much forward to Haul Away and Privateering as I loved the live versions but think that both album versions are weaker than what we heard last year, so they are also skipped at the moment. So there are around 5, 6 songs that I return to regularly, not more.

What strikes me most that this album is the one with the least interesting lyrics ever.  There is not even a single song that I wish to dug into deeper... I used to do so with every single MK release so far, but all those blues songs and all the rest appear to me that they just rhyme, not more. I mean "DMC cannonball going like train, all down the 40 and the driving rain..."  The only lyrics I'd like to get worked out more (by AMITers) are Follow The Ribbon, I would love to know what's it about, and who or what was the inspiration from Miss You Blues... Of course I think Dream of The Drowned Submariner is a masterpiece, but the lyrics say nothing to me. Why on earth should someone write a song about one single seaman that dies in a submarine, it is not... allegorial for nothing, that soldier in the field of Brothers In Arms was... as an example it is a too exotic setting...
(The Scaffolder's Wife for example was perfectly well chosen as an archetype for what was the message of the song, even the "frozen starving beggar band" in that other song... but someone lying in a submarine and dreaming of his daughter is too isolated, too etraordinary or too artistic for me. Or to arty?) Some appear as sketches, not more. Not enough to be a song in my opinion. (Eat, work, eat, work and sleep, the rest of the lyrics are crap, apart from the dog...  ;) )

For me that's new, because the lyrics always where the most integral part of the package, more important sometimes than which guitar or which guitar sound was exactly used...  :o

Just remember all those stories around Border Reiver, or So Far From The Clyde, how long it took us to recognize the Indian ship thing, or the story with his uncle on Piper, or the story with the Car that was the one.... On Privateering, only the relation to Sonny Liston comes to mind (again). Kingdom of Gold leaves me cold totally, the lyrics... most of the stuff is really ... insignificant, or petty. Sounds hard - well, I love most of the music, and the way MK SINGS this petty stuff is still great.... his voice and phrasing and stuff... but hmmmm... maybe you just cannot have it all. I can live with it perfectly well, I am into a classic piano recording of Franz Schubert music at the moment, played  by Olga Scheps, a young Russian pianist which I will see live in Hamburg at the end of October... her playing gives me goosebumps every single time, never thought that you can recognize so much personality in just playing piano, but I am relatively new to this subject, so Dannyjunior for example will be able to elaborate a little more on this subject..  so Mark has left the building for the moment anyhow...  :wave
but he will return I am sure...

Sorry long post. I know you can also name other songs from the album and proove the opposite of my point of view, but it is just my opinion. No way I wish to convince anyone, just utter!

Looking forward Guitar Stories very much!

LE

Offlineanother brother

• Local Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 05:55:41 PM »
everybody has a different approach.

i really like the lyrics here, on songs like "seattle" or "submariner" - maybe they are bit more "simple" - but for me this is music that creates images in my head.
"haul away" - it

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 06:18:22 PM »
Love Expresso:-

Schubert's piano music allows for a huge variety of interpretation. The mature stuff is characterised by an ambiguity of meaning and feeling that reminds me a bit of....MK's songs! (Stretching a point a bit.) Even when it sounds cheerful, there is an undertow of melancholy. Enjoy listening to it, though the late sonatas last even longer (relatively) than Telegraph Road. They're worth it, though.

As for Privateering, after five weeks of pretty solid listening, I'd rate it pretty high in the solo MK canon, though perhaps just below StP. I find there are songs that work for me some days but not others, so I'd find it hard to play the 'pick the best 12 for a single album' game. Go Love and Bluebird always work for me, so does the title track. The faster blues numbers I can sometimes take or leave, but then I enjoy the seasoning added by the harp and some rather good piano. I do kind of agree with those who feel it doesn't altogether hang together as a coherent album - maybe that's harder to achieve with twenty songs. But the compensation is that twenty songs allows for plenty that you like amongst a few that you don't.

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »
I should probably add Blood and Water to my top list.

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 10:01:33 PM »
LE I am sorry to hear that you don
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:04:06 PM by Fieneke2 »
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Love Expresso

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 10:10:13 PM »
Hey Goon525, thanks for your informative words about Schubert, very appreciated! I am just about to discover him, but had exactly the same feeling this morning when I listened to one of the tracks that melody wise there is some reflection in Mark's music (as in all good contempary music as well...)
This young Mrs. Scheps also made me disvover that famous piece Sonata Reminiscenza from Medtner, which is also great and touched me from the first minute... totally off-topic of course, sorry... )

I am very happy though to have so much new material (with the 4 bonus songs - 24 new songs!!) to choose from, and sometimes this or that song fits more to my daily mood. So I still would recommend Privateering to anyone who doesn't know a lot about MK's music. But it was MK himself who put the lever THAT high with his complete ouevre!  ;)

LE

Offlinepjh3121

• Local Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 12:41:12 AM »
I was thinking about this today. Now I've lived with it, I think it's a great single album if you take out all the generic blues/folk pastiches like Don't Forget Your House (or is it You Can't Beat The Hat) and Kingdom of Holes (or is it Heartful of Gold). Hot or What stays because it swings well.

So, I've left just 13 tracks on my iPhone and it works well that way. Go Love is my favourite track by far, it takes me back to the Love Over Gold sound for some reason. Radio City Serenade is beautiful. River of Grog and Occupation Blues are left on there and they weren't even on the original album.

One final point, I think the track ordering is a bit off on the original release. Redbud Tree is too low key for an opener and Haul Away is too sleepy for a second track just when you're looking for a bit of momentum. I think starting with Corned Beef City then Privateering would have worked better.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 08:50:29 AM »
I've had the three bonus songs in my car for the short trips to work, for weeks now. And still like the whole album (and the rehearsal tracks too) I even started to like Seattle. If only the bloody packaging would have been a bit more interesting (most boring booklet EVER) it would've been my absolute favorite album
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Love Expresso

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 10:10:29 AM »
I tried: Occupation Blues would have been a great opener, not only because of the nice little intro. Put it before Redbud Tree, was a nice running order...
Really a great song and I can't  understand AT ALL why it is not on the album - has not the usual "bonus" semi quality, it is really a gem.

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 44 queries.