Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #09:2012.10.17 San Francisco, CA - Bill Graham Civic Aud, USA # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 23839 times)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Yes I do! :D
Foolish me. 
I just love the "Greetings from LA" album very much that I went for the title rather than look for the obvious DS reference. If you haven't heard of it give it a try, it is fantastic.
A very nice review, made me crave for more!
Thanks once again.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
Hey sweet, how full was the venue?

The floor looked pretty packed. It's hard for me to tell. I was at the very front right next to the rail.  It certainly wasn't a sold out night. There were fans purchasing tickets the night of.  Quite a few empty seats on top.  Good numbers of people were smoking joints, they were intoxicatedly high during BD. Unfortunately, the smoke was blowing my way. Couldn't say I liked it. 

I don't expect it to sell out tonight either.  Merchandise stand. One MK t-shirt in Black and grey for Men. Aargh. I'll take a picture tonight.

Oh, the guitars. When MK took out the red strat. Man, it's a real beauty !

I've posted first few videos on the recording thread. Audio recording, will work on uploading to the tracker.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Just out of interest, I saw both Buckleys live, father and son  - Tim Buckley when he guested at an Incredible String Band concert in London and Jeff Buckley at a student gig in Manchester. I guess there are only a  few people in Europe who can say they saw them both.

Offlinesilentguy

• Camerado
Hey sweet, how full was the venue?

The floor looked pretty packed. It's hard for me to tell. I was at the very front right next to the rail.  It certainly wasn't a sold out night. There were fans purchasing tickets the night of.  Quite a few empty seats on top.  Good numbers of people were smoking joints, they were intoxicatedly high during BD. Unfortunately, the smoke was blowing my way. Couldn't say I liked it. 

I don't expect it to sell out tonight either.  Merchandise stand. One MK t-shirt in Black and grey for Men. Aargh. I'll take a picture tonight.

Oh, the guitars. When MK took out the red strat. Man, it's a real beauty !

I've posted first few videos on the recording thread. Audio recording, will work on uploading to the tracker.

Yes only 2 pieces of MK merchandise, t-shirts.
And the poster that had Dylan and date and location.
I didnt buy anything.
I usu get a program, but not even a Dylan program was available.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
saw buckley once, (son) boy he was like an effing whirlwind he was!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
Never saw father or son. Jeff had such a short life and career that it seems to me a bit overblown, but Tim had a fantastic recording career. Both they deserved longer lives. 

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
When I saw Jeff B, he joined the support act on drums for one song in their set and, in his own set, he sang "Happy Birthday" imitating the Marilyn Monroe  "tribute" to President JFK.

In 1997, when I heard the news that Dylan had been hospitalized, I called a record company contact in New York (it was a Friiday night, as I recall) to ask for news. At first, the person on the other end of the phone misunderstood and started talking about Jeff Buckley, who, at that stage, was simply reported as missing. He told me about Jeff going to this river in Memphis with a member of the crew, who turned to move a radio, then turned back to find Jeff gone. There was no sign of him and nobdoy knew for sure what had happened. It was a rather spooky experience.

In respect of Tim Buckley, "Greetings From LA" (from which "Sweet Surrender" comes)  is a wonderful album. His voice soars and swoops (and sometimes growls in a lascivious way) on what is essentially an r'n'b/rock album, with some (ahem!) "adult" lyrics. Captivating stuff and such a change from "Starsailor" , which preceded it and was a "way out" jazzy album. And neither of them at all like the folk-orientated (and somewhat more "poetic") albums with which he started out.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 09:50:46 AM by twm »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
Thanks for sharing, twm!
Reminded me of a "peculiar" situation some time ago. I have a friend that uses my photos for books, adds and other editions and he is a real prankster. I am good with voices and I usually understand its him, so I return the prank to sender. So, I get this telephone call one day, and I understand it is my friend. So he keeps on talking to me like he is a total stranger and I replied, that vgonis has passed away and it is really sad. The line went quite and then in a trembling voice I heard him say that he is really sorry and that he didn't mean to bother. I kept going with this dead story for a couple of minutes, with much detail, probably like a "happy we got rid of him" relative,  when all the clues came heavy on me: I was not talking to my friend, but to a complete stranger who had called to ask for my photos! I was so embarrassed and I didn't know how to get out of it! What really pissed me off, was the fact that I was so ashamed that I couldn't say no to his request, after everything was cleared. I met him several days later by chance and I was still feeling quite stupid with the whole incident.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:10:47 AM by vgonis »

OfflineHolger_MK

• Local Hero

Notice at the end of the video of Privateering he put on his white Schecter Strat for Crows.  Save for the 2007 promo shows, not used since the OES tour.

For me it looks not like the old Schecter but like the Don Grosh that he played on Piper To The End.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:24:47 AM by Holger_MK »

Love Expresso

I guess Holger_MK is right. Did he use Schecter Strats at all during the last few years?

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
The white one was indeed used on the 2007 promo shows, the red was used by Richard Bennett on Fish and the Bird.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
On Privateering, the acoustic guitar phrase before he starts singing is reminiscent of the old folk standard "500 miles" - at least, to these ears.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Just played "Bonaparte" but it seemed changed to me. You guys will know about these things. It seemed much more of a run through, perfunctory almost, much less dynamic than I recall. Lyrically, it is a song of resignation but, even so, (and I don't really know how to explain my feeling here) there was no real "bite" to the vocal. And not much by way of playing, either. The sound was a bit bass heavy, so maybe that explains my response. I know that some on AMIT don't like "Bonaparte" as much as I do but, live, it has been a song I usually foot-tap my way through, sometimes with vigour. On hearing this rendition, I can't imagine my doing that. Comments, anyone?

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Just played "Bonaparte" but it seemed changed to me. You guys will know about these things. It seemed much more of a run through, perfunctory almost, much less dynamic than I recall. Lyrically, it is a song of resignation but, even so, (and I don't really know how to explain my feeling here) there was no real "bite" to the vocal. And not much by way of playing, either. The sound was a bit bass heavy, so maybe that explains my response. I know that some on AMIT don't like "Bonaparte" as much as I do but, live, it has been a song I usually foot-tap my way through, sometimes with vigour. On hearing this rendition, I can't imagine my doing that. Comments, anyone?

I think the bass heavy sound was perhaps due to the location of the recorder or the recorder itself.

As for the rest of your comments, I believe they are pretty valid although it's always hard to tell in a song like this - and by that I mean acoustically dependant - unless one is actually present. 

One thing to bear in mind is that one of the reasons the song isn't popular is because it's overplayed, yes and because for bootleg collectors every version has sounded exactly the same for years!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
The white one was indeed used on the 2007 promo shows
Tuned in dropped D, played with pick and trem arm on Let it all go

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 38 queries.