Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The tour ended - Conclusions  (Read 59649 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Re: The tour ended - Conclusions
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2012, 04:39:01 PM »
To some extent, I think the 1920s - 1940s  "roots" material was done by the NHBs. 

Gosh, I liked those shows, especially the small venue ones like those at Ronnie Scott's. That's what playing and hearing kive music should be all about - small-scale, intimate, more casual, face-to-face, "no hiding place", "let 'em see the whites of your eyes"  - those kinds of place.  Theatres are OK, too, but, even at the front of a huge arena, it's less ... less what?  ... less human, somehow. The performers (rightly) have to play to the back of the hall and the sound sort-of hangs in the air, way above everyone there.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2012, 04:50:20 PM »
Yes, I loved those shows too.  I went to a few of the Ronnie Scott, Birmingham ones, which were wonderful!  I asked Guy a while ago if there was a chance they would do some more in the future, but he said he didn't think it would happen again.   A great shame, but maybe one day.....
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2012, 04:54:36 PM »
We went to quite a few of the Ronnie Scott shows but in London. Apart from the shows themselves, it was fun tumbling out of the place in the early hours of the morning  and catching the Night Bus service to where we wer staying. It fair took me back to my youth.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2012, 04:58:47 PM »
We went to quite a few of the Ronnie Scott shows but in London. Apart from the shows themselves, it was fun tumbling out of the place in the early hours of the morning  and catching the Night Bus service to where we wer staying. It fair took me back to my youth.

I can't imagine you tumbling out of anywhere in the early hours twm! ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 05:58:07 PM »
"Twas in another lifetime. I used to go all-nighters in scruffy London clubs at a time when tumbling out  in the early hours of a dank dawn on a Sunday morning was before the tubes had started running. When wandering around Soho in the middle of the night, to get some fresh air, resulted in all sorts of unsavory invitations.  Actually, it had an almost magical element in some kind of weird rather naughty way, allowing a callow youth from the suburbs to imagine he was emulating the New York of the be-bop era - or something like that. Distance in time gives it an air of romantic nostalgia. Rather dangerous. I must desist.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 06:04:17 PM »
I think Mark could do a very good cover of this:

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 11:37:03 PM »
Far prefer this, man Johnny, a force of nature...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 11:42:52 PM »
Imagine if this legend can take time of from recording his best album ever, Acadie (in case you do not know it, buy it, no questions asked) then I think it is ok for our man to do the same (touring)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 12:57:02 AM »
From memory, someone dubbed ACADIE on to a cassette for me and, similarly, I have the Neville Brothers' YELLOW MOON on a dubbed cassette, too - both somewhere in the many boxes I have. I seem to recall that, before I got these, someone sent me a cassette of Daniel Lanois performing at the New Orleans JazzFest and that performance included songs from ACADIE - my memory may be false on this, however.

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2012, 04:24:32 AM »
My limited experience on this tour (Sacramento) found an enthusiastic, relaxed, and happy MK.   Same with this band.   I couldn't see anything tired or listless in the performance.    As always, he was magic from the moment he appeared on stage.    Sacramento has a stadium sized arena, and it was nearly full, yet MK was as chatty and friendly as he has been in very small venues.  (Boothbay 2006 wears the crown!)   I do not see a worn out musician in any way.   I see a musician whose style has mellowed and become more understated--at times and with some songs.   Even though he did not play any of the old DS songs (except for SFA) there was still plenty of life.   Before he was hurt in 2010, he was just as strong on the DS songs.   Yes they were simplified and shortened, but still strong.       
I, for one, like to see MK with this band and only with his band.    I do appreciate his collaboration with other artists, but I am selfish and I want him to be the star of the show.      Even so, with Clapton or another artists of similar integrity, I would still attend the concert to appreciate both artists.     But, with apologies to Dylan fans, I could not sit through an entire Dylan concert anymore, even with MK on stage.    I was glad they were divided.    I agree that a unified show could have been aesthetically satisfying, but I couldn't deal with what is left of Dylan.    Again, apologies to Dylan fans.     I don't see MK as tired or worn out, and I believe that when he gets tired, he will be too much of a perfectionist and have too much pride to settle or to ask his fans to settle.    A different and mature style of music is not a diminishing of music.     
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2012, 11:08:18 AM »
Has Guy called this the best tour ever?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2012, 12:17:41 PM »
Before he was hurt in 2010, he was just as strong on the DS songs.   Yes they were simplified and shortened, but still strong.       
I'm not aware of anything serious that would have hurt him in 2010, are you referring to that backhache that forced him to be sitted ? or to his motorbike accident which happened way back in 2003 ?
Either way, I don't see any connection.
The 2005 SL tour was after his motorbike accident, yet his playing, especially on TR outro solo, was better than ever.
The pace slowdown occured in 2008, not 2010, so I don't see any connection with the backache either....
Could you clarify what you mean ?
Thanks

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2012, 06:17:38 PM »
Referring to the back injury.      He was in a lot of pain and on medication. You don't get pain like that without an injury--an episode of some kind. The pain very well could have influenced his mood.   I know it would mine. People complained that his playing wasn't what it used to be.  Those are not my words.  I thought he was great when I saw him.   Go back to the 2010 threads.   Lots of comments about quality there.   Again, not my judgment.    Just reciting history.     
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2012, 07:01:02 PM »
Referring to the back injury.      He was in a lot of pain and on medication. You don't get pain like that without an injury--an episode of some kind. The pain very well could have influenced his mood.   I know it would mine. People complained that his playing wasn't what it used to be.  Those are not my words.  I thought he was great when I saw him.   Go back to the 2010 threads.   Lots of comments about quality there.   Again, not my judgment.    Just reciting history.     
Whereas people complained about quality in 2010, most would acknowledge that 2010 was an improvement over 2008. Especially WII and TR which has a major slowdonw... I'm not sure the back injury did anything to the playing, comparing the USA recordings at the beginning of the tour and the Europe recordings at the end of the tour are rather in favor of the latter (as it is most often the case with DS/MK).

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2012, 07:15:28 PM »
It was more than just backache and I think MK did a great job on the 2010 tour, in spite of being in great pain, in fact, he played some of the best versions of TR I have heard even though he was sitting down.  I loved all four of the concerts I attended and these performances stand up very favourably with the wonderful TRs I heard in 2005, in spite of some people not liking the cittern - but I love that version.    MK could easily have cancelled the 2010 tour, but he didn't, he carried on magnificently. 

Here is something Guy had to say:

"The difficulty of dealing with a serious back injury that could so easily have jeopardized the tour if it had happened to a man with any less backbone is testament to his strength of character, determination and above all, his generosity.  He has inspired everyone who has been involved and without doubt, enriched all of our lives,

..thank you Mark."

Also:

"Mark has endured astonishing pain to the point of 'delerium' on the last tour."

If he is slowing down a bit, we must remember that he is two or three years older with every tour and in that time, fingers can become not so nimble as previously, but I feel that this is why MK has adapted his music to suit and enables him to carry on for more years to come in a very dignified way.   

Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 39 queries.