Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The tour ended - Conclusions  (Read 59722 times)

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
Re: The tour ended - Conclusions
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2012, 09:11:43 PM »
Oh I guess it is this time of the year people gather together in peace and loving feelings flow effortlessly.  ::)  All this talk  is really a matter of opinion. Everybody has one and also the right to express it. I believe dmg is just picking on you Val! Don't take it so hard!  Be as playful! Irony and comfy chair!
Of course we all know your opinion dmg, and although I can't follow your discussion ( because I have not heard all these lives or /and recordings, I can not have a solid opinion) I find MK's voice and guitar playing and his songwriting
You are absolutely right vgonis, it's a matter of opinion and not fact, and we should all be able to express these opinions without fear of castigation because someone doesn't agree or like something you said. This forum is great and an excellent resource for MK fans, but it does get dragged into the shit sometimes and it really annoys me.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2012, 10:17:41 AM »
Not quite on topic but just to note that I made a contribution to this thread a day or so ago. Everything seemed to go through correctly but it never appeared.

Offlinerosco

• Camerado
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2012, 11:43:23 AM »
Here's figures for a couple of other MK/BD gigs-according to Billboard boxscore.

Philadelphia- 8564 capacity 10000-Gross $428,951
Grand Rapids-3154 capacity 9946-Gross $234,600 - Over 6000 under capacity!!!
Montreal-5706 capacity 6712-Gross $474,894
Portland-4667 capacity 7477- Gross $361.818

There seems to be a few other artists not selling out -Springsteen in Denver was 3k under capacity.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2012, 12:48:08 PM »
Here's figures for a couple of other MK/BD gigs-according to Billboard boxscore.

Philadelphia- 8564 capacity 10000-Gross $428,951
Grand Rapids-3154 capacity 9946-Gross $234,600 - Over 6000 under capacity!!!
Montreal-5706 capacity 6712-Gross $474,894
Portland-4667 capacity 7477- Gross $361.818

There seems to be a few other artists not selling out -Springsteen in Denver was 3k under capacity.

A one off payment to see ones favourite artist may not seem too much to ask - even in todays financial climate - but the way Dylan tours is not doing his attendance figures any favours whatsoever.  Perhaps he needs to give this never ending tour an end!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2012, 01:05:25 PM »
I wonder if the financial climate is having an affect on attendance. 6000 undersold is incredible.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2012, 06:46:59 PM »
Dylan has often done 100 shows a year but this year and last it was down to around 80 or so, each year. Maybe he is beginning to slow down. Personally, I welcome that. As to his stopping entirely, that will happen in due course, either for health/physical reasons or simply because he gets fed up with doing it every year.  Meanwhile .....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:57:31 PM by twm »

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2012, 11:02:07 PM »
The "financial climate" is certainly having an effect. While there, I met one of my New York friends, someone who has travelled to Europe to see Dylan several times in the past, and he said that the cost of getting a good ticket was just too much, what with offspring being in college and the slow-down in the economy. And the Brooklyn show was just a few subway stops across the East River for him.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2012, 12:55:54 AM »
Agree with val, some very harsh and uncalled for comments in this thread, mk has a bit of a paunch but is jo way fat.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2012, 04:47:52 AM »
Right on! Superval!  Well said.  And yeah, what Dusty said too.   
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2012, 12:48:54 PM »
I don't think any of us are saying he's "fat," not that there would be anything wrong if he were.  My point was that if he were perhaps a little more fit then it would translate to more energy on the stage, that's all.  Nothing more and no offence intended.  I'm sure his body mass index is quite in order!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2012, 01:39:32 PM »
Oh dear God, who said he was fat. DMG made a joke, and an entitled opinion about energy levels. How can any offence be taken, especially when MK is hardly a fattie. The thread is about tour conclusions. If it was about tour conclusions (positive views only) then that would be different and pointless. Im off to find a wall to introduce my head to it.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »
Banjo don't do it! Think of the wall!  ;)  I am having a particularly difficult time trying to figure out what the fuss is about. And really, even though I hardly know any of you guys, I thought we were beyond these things (I reserve this right only for myself, for obvious reasons  ;D ) . dmg made a joke, expressed his opinion but in no way meant insult to MK. All those smiling and laughing icons indicated this. They were invented in order to convey the feeling and mood of the person at the time of writing (since we have no other means to do so)  and also that what he'she says is actually no more than a joke! Even if jokes have hidden truths in them.

He played TR in Athens, at 2008 and I was pleasantly surprised to hear it. His energy was high then with the same physic, only 4 years younger than today. I was still because his DS days were over and I never got to see him live back then, when he was younger and me as well. Enthusiasm is what's mising. And some times it is a disease that even fans  get. And desperately try to find what's wrong. Getting all these recordings have this huge disadvantage, you actually get used to the sound from repeated plays, you also spot the mistakes that were not supposed to be reproduced and the uniqueness of the live experience somehow fades.

And a little verse, you can sing along with Bob.

I am a worried fan, I heard the man,
singing all new songs in America
there's a sound in my left ear, it must be guitar,

I don't recognise the songs and I can't sing along,
I look for videos and downloads
I have bought the ticket for 2013

Discussing all these matters with the folks at AMIT
Any wonder why we've ended up like this

Things are different and times have changed,
 if you're looking up you must have failed,
 you used to believe, but now it's only small change.

Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2012, 02:54:35 PM »
Vgonis, I went to Athens in 2008 to see MK and the ancient ruins (sounds like a good name for the 96ers). Did you see him get really angry with the tapers and start swearing during why aye man. It was awful to see and totally spoilt the show. I also seem to remember their was gonna be a riot because he didnt play MFN. The energy levels from the audience were amazing, very different from sitting in the RAH clapping politely.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2012, 03:30:07 PM »
I spotted it too, Banjo. At first I thought he was expressing in a very vivid manner some of the lyrics of the song,  ;) but then the repeated and out of time gestures became apparent what they were for. It is strange, because I knew MK allowed recording and videos, provided they didn't interfere with the pleasure of the other viewers. The local promoters, however, had issued tickets that actually prohibited any kind of recordings or photos. I asked for permission (I was working for a magazine back then) but I was denied. I had the ticket  and I was searched at the entrance, luckily they didn't find the camera, recorder or photography camera.
I don't know about MFN, I guess the energy could come from this anticipation, but he played so many DS songs, that everybody was happy. Many guitarists in the crowd, and many viewers with Heavy metal t-shirts! If this kind of energy is required to get a nice performance, well, ask for MFN!  ;D But yo have to remember, that the last time MK visited Greece to play was in 1985! People in the UK, are able to see him 4-5 nights in a row! I guess it is sort of a tradition!   
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2012, 04:00:22 PM »
Really!! He's not been to Greece since 1985, Im shocked by that. I remember a group of fans afterwards outside in the car park blasting MFN out.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 39 queries.