Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Russian shows cancelled  (Read 23521 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Russian shows cancelled
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 07:54:31 PM »
I guess "heart" has nothing to do with it.. just business and money. MK (and Guy F.) have made clear over the years that fans don't care that much. They are only accepted.

It would have been better for Mark to use the shows and give a statement, live on stage.

I think it is all about bad ticket sales in those places and finding a "proper" way of announcing it. Very poor.

Pissed a little bit about this. And him.

LE

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 08:32:02 PM »
This has changed lately:

Russian authorities conducted dozens of what they called

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 09:08:11 PM »
And cancelling the shows, what they achieve?

I can imagine Puttin very worried at home, thinking "wow, Knopfler cancelled his shows, we must do something right now"

The achievement is Russian fans dissapointed with his tickets in their hands  :'(

Why they made to deserve it?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 09:31:25 PM »
And cancelling the shows, what they achieve?

I can imagine Puttin very worried at home, thinking "wow, Knopfler cancelled his shows, we must do something right now"

The achievement is Russian fans dissapointed with his tickets in their hands  :'(

Why they made to deserve it?

The same as when DS was SA banned...
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »
Did Dire Straits ever cancelled a show in SA because of the ban?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »
Did Dire Straits ever cancelled a show in SA because of the ban?

I think MK said at the Mandela gig that they were banned in 1979, but I thought he was referring to their albums.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 10:23:05 PM »
I do not know the reason for the cancellations of these shows but have no reason to doubt that given by MK.

As one of the earlier posts indicate, the Russian government (which basically means Putin, it seems to me) has become increasingly restrictive and prescriptive over the years and months and MK has commented on the Pussy Riot affair, so MK's statement would be consistent with the view he expressed earlier.

I feel sorry for the fans in Russia but I understand MK's decision.  I do not wish to get involved in a political discussion here but, admittedly as an outsider, it seems to me that Russian society has become less and less open in the Putin era.  Perhaps MK had hoped that the public protests we saw on TV last year and earlier this year would herald some kind of reversal of that trend.  With Putin once again in the driving seat, that is unlikely to happen. I anticipate increasing authoritarianism in Russia, with even greater emphasis on nationalism. 

Offlinesatinbeaus

• Guitar George
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 10:26:53 PM »
I can't really believe it. I am sure that 99% of Russian fans are on the same side of mark. And what he does? He punish them cancelling the shows!

He could make a speech during the concert, he could use an interpreter. He could show a video or a poster with a message or a placard or...or...or...NO!

He cancels the shows! Unbelievable. Instead of using music to spread messages and peace. He makes a revenge. And revenges bring only hate...
My Dire Straits' Piano Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/satinbeaus

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 11:15:52 PM »
Do you think that they would add two dates filling that gaps? Or maybe they would take a free week?

Russia was the first show after the last at the rah, on June 1st. Lots of days.

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 11:29:55 PM »
I can't really believe it. I am sure that 99% of Russian fans are on the same side of mark. And what he does? He punish them cancelling the shows!

He could make a speech during the concert, he could use an interpreter. He could show a video or a poster with a message or a placard or...or...or...NO!

In the current environment, it appears to be unsafe to make a speech or send an anti-government statement. 
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Love Expresso

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 11:39:47 PM »
That's right. Apart from my dissappointment in this case, I was always happy that Mark is not another Bono.

LE

Offlinesatinbeaus

• Guitar George
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 12:58:16 AM »
In the current environment, it appears to be unsafe to make a speech or send an anti-government statement.

"The current environment" is the same as the concerts were scheduled. Nothing has changed since then.

There are many ways to do what I suggested and I am sure mark would find his own, I said "music to spread peace" not to spread "anti government statement"...

Please do not use a comment to go in your direction "anti-governement statement", "Mark another Bono" that is not funny. If my opinion is not clear please write it and I explain my point view better. Thanks.

I think that
1) mark was not informed about the situation until today.
2) There is another reason for this decision as suggested by someone else here on the forum, on facebook etc.

I any case I would never cancel 2 shows with that statement.

Cheers.
My Dire Straits' Piano Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/satinbeaus

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 01:39:49 AM »
I feel sorry for Russian fans too, but think about it this way:

Cancelling shows is a much more powerful message to authorities than not scheduling the shows at all. This may be seen controversial by fans but with this statement Mark attracts more attention than with making any statement from stage, which by the way would be only heard by fans, and fans are not to blame in this case. With cancelling shows, cruel for the fans as it is, he is heard by more than just fans.

I don't believe money is an issue here. Not for MK. Brave decision, but Russian fans have all my sympathy.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

foma

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 08:31:26 AM »
Thanks for your sympathy folks!

However, I 100 percent agree with Mark, it's a great decision. I think it's really hard to find the reason why he cancelled the shows. Deaths in Londongrad is a very good guess. We don't know a larger half of an iceberg in which Mark has involved during all these years. He can be silent, but he's a wealthy and well-known man any way. I can clearly imagine some big-deal-guys giving a buzz to Mark and saying things like "It would be better, Mark Knopfler, if you cancell your Russian dates". Who knows?

But that really bother me, is our people reaction to this. Comments like "You are an old f**got!", "Nobody cares!", "Go back to your ******* Britan!" proves me that upbringing in our country is completely dead. It's really sad to give the tickets back, but that bothers me, is that I almost hate my own country because these rude, uncultured and caddish russian people. And there are more and more of them... shame on you, Russia!

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 09:41:54 AM »
I just would like to thank the AMIT members for the kind words to me and all Russian fans.

It's too bad decision by Mark. His step does matter nothing for Russian authorities. But Russian fans were strongly punished and a lot of them feel insulted. And they do not understand why.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 42 queries.