Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: the sticks  (Read 112567 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: the sticks
« Reply #225 on: June 14, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »
It must be... What else? ;)

It should be. Still waiting that 2001 tour DVD. Do my memory serve correctly that they even started to edit that material years ago?

That's the DVD I'd like to have!  Great tour and great versions.  If memory serves I think Guy said the audience was too loud, but that's a feeble excuse not to release.  There must be other reasons.
I agree with you, I never understood why the STP tour is so poorly regarded here. That's the tour that introduced marvels like WII and SAN. As a fan of TR I find the 2001 versions fantastic, very energetic and great sounding. MFN intro was very original, better than the barking of the BIA tour, and better than the emptiness that followed in 2005 ! Speedway is a bit young but great ending. And Junkie Doll and Pyroman were gems never to be heard afterwards, sadly !

As for the DVD, yeah, it's a pity, really. If memory serves I think Mark felt that this was the day after Chet Atkins' death and his performance suffered from that. Too bad...

I love 2001 tour.
I love SAN 2001 versions because of mark's licks on acoustic (e.g. Toronto) and THREE guitars with much power, Richard's licks on Telecaster.
tehre are other gems : wag the dog, baloney, baby now, and yes Walk of life (great mike henderson playing on all)
and last but not least, the return of the legendary 61 strat ! Probably the one used on Sultans studio version ! shame it never went back afterwards
Yes TR is great, and the best MFN intro IMHO (I would love to have not known the setlist before the gig...my bigger regret in MK live experience)

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #226 on: June 14, 2013, 04:28:59 PM »
I ordered Madrid 2001 DVD, and still waiting to come. I

Offlinestefankock

• Camerado
« Reply #227 on: June 14, 2013, 08:17:49 PM »
Strange .. Haven't got the RAH stick yet which I orderd on May 31st, but the Zwolle stick that I ordered on June 11th did arrive today. have sent them an email about the London stick.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #228 on: June 14, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »
Strange .. Haven't got the RAH stick yet which I orderd on May 31st, but the Zwolle stick that I ordered on June 11th did arrive today. have sent them an email about the London stick.

I heard from other fans that they recieved Zwolle today... Not here :think  :-\  :'(
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinestefankock

• Camerado
« Reply #229 on: June 14, 2013, 08:27:33 PM »

I heard from other fans that they recieved Zwolle today... Not here :think  :-\  :'(

When did you order the Zwolle stick ? Zwolle is the first stick which has arrived 3 days after ordering it while normally I'd have to wait about 2 weeks !!

The Zwolle stick is great (both sound and performances) .. great to re-live that great night again. IDUAD is really outstanding (i'm probably in the minority when I say that I prefer these versions to the ones with EH in 2006).

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #230 on: June 14, 2013, 09:24:31 PM »

When did you order the Zwolle stick ? Zwolle is the first stick which has arrived 3 days after ordering it while normally I'd have to wait about 2 weeks !!

The Zwolle stick is great (both sound and performances) .. great to re-live that great night again. IDUAD is really outstanding (i'm probably in the minority when I say that I prefer these versions to the ones with EH in 2006).

About a month before Zwolle  ;) I'm listening to the MP3 version of Zwolle now, awsome indeed. Still waiting on the stick.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #231 on: June 14, 2013, 09:42:33 PM »
You are not alone! I by far prefer the 2013 version to the 2006 one!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #232 on: June 14, 2013, 10:28:47 PM »
Why so ? not that the strip-down versions of this year are bad, they are quite good, but what's wrong with the superb 2006 versions with EH'voice and the excellent duel of guitar ?

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #233 on: June 14, 2013, 11:08:19 PM »

+1

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #234 on: June 14, 2013, 11:30:53 PM »

+1

-1 for this 2013 version and that it stays so long in the set...
+10 for the big surprise in Bremen (right Pottel?)  ;D

OfflineGuitarman1972

• Camerado
« Reply #235 on: June 15, 2013, 12:28:05 AM »
Thanks Guitarman for your feedback about Antwerp. Can you tell a bit more in comparison to which sticks you would prefer the Antwerp one. I'm really searching for good stick recommendations apart from RAH and Amsterdam.

I compared it with Istanbul, Sofia, Belgrade, Ljublajana, Liverpool, Birmingham, Amsterdam, RAH 27th and Zwolle. Overall I see Antwerpen compared to these shows as the best recording. I attended the show of Zwolle myself. The Zwolle stick has a very good recording too, and is probably number 2 in my book, but Antwerpen remains my absolute favorite. I have high-end equipment so I hear every little detail and have a well trained musical ear.

OfflineZeeley

• Camerado
« Reply #236 on: June 15, 2013, 01:02:08 AM »
It must be... What else? ;)

It should be. Still waiting that 2001 tour DVD. Do my memory serve correctly that they even started to edit that material years ago?

That's the DVD I'd like to have!  Great tour and great versions.  If memory serves I think Guy said the audience was too loud, but that's a feeble excuse not to release.  There must be other reasons.
I agree with you, I never understood why the STP tour is so poorly regarded here. That's the tour that introduced marvels like WII and SAN. As a fan of TR I find the 2001 versions fantastic, very energetic and great sounding. MFN intro was very original, better than the barking of the BIA tour, and better than the emptiness that followed in 2005 ! Speedway is a bit young but great ending. And Junkie Doll and Pyroman were gems never to be heard afterwards, sadly !

As for the DVD, yeah, it's a pity, really. If memory serves I think Mark felt that this was the day after Chet Atkins' death and his performance suffered from that. Too bad...

I love 2001 tour.
I love SAN 2001 versions because of mark's licks on acoustic (e.g. Toronto) and THREE guitars with much power, Richard's licks on Telecaster.
tehre are other gems : wag the dog, baloney, baby now, and yes Walk of life (great mike henderson playing on all)
and last but not least, the return of the legendary 61 strat ! Probably the one used on Sultans studio version ! shame it never went back afterwards
Yes TR is great, and the best MFN intro IMHO (I would love to have not known the setlist before the gig...my bigger regret in MK live experience)

And dont forget the soundcheck of Silvertown Blues, such a shame it never made it to to the set...

:'( :'(
"Maybe I was born on a bad luck day,
 born under a bad sign"....

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #237 on: June 15, 2013, 03:28:28 AM »
I ordered the RAH stick on the 28th..still not here. Sent them an email and got a reply stating that they actually ran out of sticks to cover the crush from the orders from the 27th show..and that it would be shipped the next day. Still not here... :disbelief
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

surferboy

« Reply #238 on: June 15, 2013, 07:21:57 AM »
Thanks again guitarman for your thoughts. I appreciate your taking your time again and sharing your opinion. This is really very helpful for me as I'm intensely interested in what might be the best sticks to have from this awesome tour sound and performance wise. There are of course those sticks that are worth buying just to have one rare song like YTC, 5.15 am and Miss you blues apart from the overall performance of the show. But then of course you try to have those magic nights on stick where the band surpasses itself. In the end it all remains a matter of personal taste of course.
So thank you again for your help!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:33:39 AM by surferboy »

Offlinestefankock

• Camerado
« Reply #239 on: June 15, 2013, 08:02:28 AM »
I ordered the RAH stick on the 28th..still not here. Sent them an email and got a reply stating that they actually ran out of sticks to cover the crush from the orders from the 27th show..and that it would be shipped the next day. Still not here... :disbelief

Got the same reply today (sent them an email yesterday) ... did get a link, so will finally listen to the May 27th concert in a few minutes ! According to them the RAH sticks were sent out starting the day before yesterday !

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 41 queries.