Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: BBC4 Sessions?  (Read 70168 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: BBC4 Sessions?
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2013, 02:25:24 PM »
Guy says the BBC show will be on air at the end of the year.
Where does he say that ? I couln't find anything on the forum or the diaries...
"On air" meaning ? broadcast ? DVD ?

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2013, 02:30:17 PM »
John McCusker also tweets about the tv airing later this year:
"Had a brilliant time filming the Later tv special yesterday - will be on the telly later in the year pic.twitter.com/aO1a4TJ1cI"

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2013, 02:50:41 PM »
"Had a brilliant time filming the Later tv special yesterday - will be on the telly later in the year pic.twitter.com/aO1a4TJ1cI"
Can't be bothered with broadcast, I don't even receive British TV ! ok that's better than nothing because then some friends here will certainly record it, but still, what we need is a blu-ray...
Any idea if those shows which are broadcaster end up in a DVD/BD: sometimes, often, rarely, never ?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2013, 03:07:34 PM »
Can't be bothered with broadcast, I don't even receive British TV ! ok that's better than nothing because then some friends here will certainly record it, but still, what we need is a blu-ray...
Any idea if those shows which are broadcaster end up in a DVD/BD: sometimes, often, rarely, never ?

ANIL was!  As I don't have Blu-ray, I would be quite content with a DVD, or if not I would be quite happy with just the broadcast and then I can record it myself - just so long as I can see it over and over......!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2013, 05:29:32 PM »
So if the programme lasts about one hour, they will have to cut out loads of songs...

If this is the dvd, I have mixed feelings about it. I dont get why is so damm complicated to release a proper dvd concert. Except Real Live Roadrunning, the only one MK dvd was another special BBC programme.

Anybody releases a RAH dvd, but not MK... Is the money they ask for it really the issue? Even an Spanish artist has released a dvd live at the RAH, and even he has loads of money, he

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2013, 06:05:24 PM »
But what about audience? Was there an audience last night? Isn't it a bit strange that if Mark finally, after all these years, releases a DVD or Blu-ray from his tour, he will take the show he played in a TV studio in front of 100 people who not necessarily are huge fans? I don't know the details about last night, but it do sound strange to me. Personally I hope they will film a "real" gig on the tour and release that one - with Sultans. I know that song is great on Alchemy, but I want a new version with perfect HD picture and sound :)

But of course, what I want most of all is some sort of DVD/Blu-ray release from this tour, so if that means I will get a recording from a TV studio, I'll happily take it :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 06:14:24 PM by Jarle »
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2013, 06:37:19 PM »
You actually have two of them:
- The Chorus 3 DVD pack released in France. On one disk you have some parts: Only Water Of Love, Lions, and Sultans. No interview, and no Eastbound train :( Beware of this release ! there is a bug in Sultans, the sound is ok but in the end the video is slowing down and does not match the sound anymore ! :(
- It is available (with the Interview and Eastbound train) on ina.fr. You can order it as a DVD, they will burn it and send to you. I did that, so that I consider it as an official release :)

ah ok thanks for the info

I did not hear him say that, but I remember him saying that he once heard TR from the LOG album in a caf

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2013, 06:57:45 PM »
Yes he often quotes the LOG album as too cold, and "too much elaborated"
Too bad he thinks that the only moment he went into Pink Floyd's aera (progressive rock) with great success was "too much elaborated" !
As if he agreed with Antoine de Caunes, who only liked the 2 first albums, and who dared to say this horrible statement: "the worse was the pompeous Love Over Gold" ! :( this is THE uber-album for me !

or maybe is he not found with his first compositons anymore. and,  as an amateur composer myself, I can understand this : the music you composed 30 or 40 years ago can seems a little bit weak to you, even if millions people thinks teh contrary !

Well, the songs from the first two albums are wonderful, by today's standards just as by yesterday's standards.... Can't understand this... oh well.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2013, 07:00:54 PM »
For On the night they recorded 29 shows, so Planet was surely included
WHAT ?? 29 shows ??
I thought only 7, the 4 in Rotterdam and the 3 in Nimes ??
To my knowledge none of these 7 shows included Planet nor Iron Hand, which is really a pity.
But if they recorded 29 shows, not only I can't understand why SOS/TR/TOL were not released, but also it is unbelievable that Planet and Iron Hand were not ! even Fade To Black !!!

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2013, 08:08:40 PM »
Guy has updated his diary from this event now...
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2013, 08:24:53 PM »
we already have OGWT,Chorus, BBC arena, Alchemy and Live Aid as official releases

Chorus as official release ? which one ? I want it as Sultans is my fav version from early days

the Lions + News combination was wonderful to experiment with music

I agree that this era was great, but Lions wasn't combined with news.

Lions was combined with Down to the waterline.

David Gilmour is similar to MK in generation, status and popularity
I don't think so.
I think that Floyd 'music had a far big more impact in music history, and therefore Gilmour's popularity cn't be compared to Mark'sone.
And the other difference is that when people go to a Gilmour gig, they are sure to have the classic Floyd tunes, which is not the case with Mark/DS tunes

Portobello Belle that he used to play not so long ago ('96)

it was even part of the 2001 Munich soundcheck

Yes, Mark once said that "maybe Lions" was the only one of the first albums that he still likes/thinks is relevant

never heard about this.

I read thought, taht he could'nt listen to the first 2 albums anymore, but I tought it was in terms of production, not in terms of writing.

It's interesting his statement about Lions, because it's the only song not composed before the album recording.

the floyd may have had a lasting impact, and would they release a live dvd of either a wall, wish you were here or animals show, it would go through the roof. but gilmour solo is actually far less succesfull then knopfler.
both in tour success and records sold. not to confuse the two things.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2013, 08:32:20 PM »
WHAT ?? 29 shows ??
To my knowledge none of these 7 shows included Planet nor Iron Hand, which is really a pity.
But if they recorded 29 shows, not only I can't understand why SOS/TR/TOL were not released, but also it is unbelievable that Planet and Iron Hand were not ! even Fade To Black !!!

The Paris shows were recorded too, but not used in the end so PONO would have been in there - at least 2 known versions!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineman on a track

• Founder
  • Camerado
« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2013, 08:59:44 PM »
we'll see ;)
The way he sings and plays guitar  
            Still brings me to tears

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2013, 09:35:20 PM »
WHAT ?? 29 shows ??

The Paris shows were recorded too, but not used in the end so PONO would have been in there - at least 2 known versions!
What a waste...
Mark wants us to believe than none of the 29 versions of SOS, of the 14/15 versions of TR and TOL, and of the few versions of PONO and IH, deserved to end on a CD/DVD ? they were all bad ??
Could there be any contractual agreement saying "don't compete with Alchemy" ? but Alchemy was already amortized after 9 years... unbelievable...

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2013, 11:10:10 PM »
I guess Mark wasn't that interested in releasing a live album, it was more of a contractual thing.

The good new is that Mercury has plently of material available in the safe.
The bad news is that I have not the key to unlock them  :disbelief.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 35 queries.