Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350486 times)

OfflineKris-b

• Lady writer
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2017, 08:14:54 AM »
Moody Blues are coming closer, DS 67807, MB 65348, so keep on voting everybody!

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2017, 02:07:02 PM »
Moody Blues are coming closer, DS 67807, MB 65348, so keep on voting everybody!

Now this that you would call "an underrated band". DS barely wins over Bon Jovi and Moody Blues. Kinda... sad actually.

Love Expresso

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2017, 02:07:13 PM »
Couldn't care less about this whole thing. Mark should totally stop play Dire Straits stuff, he can't do it anymore. On 2015 he even wrecked off Romeo & Juliet, that was signal enough.
(Edited)

LE

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2017, 01:45:51 PM »
Am I the only one around here who had no clue who or what moody blues was before like... yesterday?
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2017, 02:05:44 PM »
Am I the only one around here who had no clue who or what moody blues was before like... yesterday?

They're good, but I'm surprised that DS is on the 3rd place already. Even with THAT name it's not a 100% win situation.
I bet if there was "Sultans Of Swing" instead of "Dire Straits" in the poll, it would win with 999999-vote vote margin :lol

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2017, 02:38:19 PM »
Guy on his forum: "It's always nice to be commended for work done 30 years ago but what I/we are doing now is far more interesting."
OMG, should fans stop listening DS material then? The question that always pops in my head when I read these statements by Guy.
Even Mark would never tell it as if all that he was doing before is nothing and he look only forward. Strange view on things...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2017, 03:36:30 PM »

They're good, but I'm surprised that DS is on the 3rd place already. Even with THAT name it's not a 100% win situation.
I bet if there was "Sultans Of Swing" instead of "Dire Straits" in the poll, it would win with 999999-vote vote margin :lol

Nights in white satin
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2017, 04:14:40 PM »
Guy on his forum: "It's always nice to be commended for work done 30 years ago but what I/we are doing now is far more interesting."
OMG, should fans stop listening DS material then? The question that always pops in my head when I read these statements by Guy.
Even Mark would never tell it as if all that he was doing before is nothing and he look only forward. Strange view on things...

Guy needs to understand that now in that sense only exists due to what was done 30 years ago.

Without the past Mark wouldn't have the fans nor the resources he has.

He can say whatever he wants about the nomination and the institution that handles the process but he doesn't need to look down upon DS in order to do so. That's so tiny.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2017, 11:11:57 PM »

Very strange I agree.  I mean Privateering is old news now so should we already be ignoring that?  And when the new one comes out in 2019 (to celebrate a milestone birthday) should we put our Tracker super deluxe versions in the bin because it is no longer "interesting?"

If you are reading this Guy let me tell you that I for one find 99% of DS material considerably more interesting than the stuff being churned out by your boss today.  DS music is timeless and frankly I find it insulting that you tell me the soundtrack I grew up listening to is now not relevant, just because you are involved in these new projects and want to promote them as best you can.

"Best album ever...best tour ever."  These phrases just don't cut it with me and the more you say them the more I think you are really trying to convince yourself it's actually true! 

Sorry for the little rant but Guy gets my goat sometimes.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2017, 11:46:07 PM »
A, dmg, I think that you take Guy's words too literary.
I think what Guy means is that as a participant in the creation, the old material bring little joy to the creators, simply because they have come full circle.
The creative phase is an ongoing effort. And they enjoy the new, yet to be created material, because it is challenging and give them reason to carry on.
As a listener, it is a completely different thing. Recorded music is timeless and new to people that listen to it for the first time even if it was recorded 130 years ago on wax.
And I think that MK has said a similar thing and he tries to please his audience by playing older songs, because he understands the difference.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlineasouza

• Guitar George
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2017, 02:22:47 AM »

Very strange I agree.  I mean Privateering is old news now so should we already be ignoring that?  And when the new one comes out in 2019 (to celebrate a milestone birthday) should we put our Tracker super deluxe versions in the bin because it is no longer "interesting?"

If you are reading this Guy let me tell you that I for one find 99% of DS material considerably more interesting than the stuff being churned out by your boss today.  DS music is timeless and frankly I find it insulting that you tell me the soundtrack I grew up listening to is now not relevant, just because you are involved in these new projects and want to promote them as best you can.

"Best album ever...best tour ever."  These phrases just don't cut it with me and the more you say them the more I think you are really trying to convince yourself it's actually true! 

Sorry for the little rant but Guy gets my goat sometimes.

My opinion too.

Offlineasouza

• Guitar George
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2017, 03:32:05 AM »
this message are in mknews about hall of fame:

"Please note that voting is capped. You can make 5 votes each day but you cannot vote for the same act more than once a day.

VOTE VOTE VOTE ... PLEASE KEEP VOTING,
TODAY, TOMORROW, EVERYDAY !"

Looks like somebody in oficial site have a growing interest in case!

Love Expresso

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2017, 08:25:51 AM »
I must say I agree with dmg as I was trying to post something similar....  In my opinion, ever since they started working at British Grove in 2007 and made themselves bound to this place more and more, they exactly started to become those "boring old farts" Guy was once joking about himself..   too much time, too many guitars, far too many microphones, but too little inspiration.

I was literally shaking my head reading Guy's line that recent work should be more interesting than working on those timeless masterpieces from 1978 to 1991... all of them.

The result should be more important than the working process, it seems he or they forgot about that...

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2017, 08:41:21 AM »
What "annoy" me about this is the "we always look forward" but when they go on tour like in 2015, they copied and pasted the 2013 tour leaving some songs out to give room to some Tracker ones, and when adding "new songs" to the set as it progress, what they add are old Dire Straits songs instead of MK ones...

It's a curious way to look forward.

Rock and roll hall of fame is something I never care about, but I recognize than my "fan ego" would like to see them inducted, just to read/hear in the media about DS again.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »
It seems to me like Guy does not have any interest in DS. He will answer questions about it, but it's always like: that was a long time ago, i cant remember.......... Ask him anything about gear or recent/new work thats officialy out and you will get a good answer. I get the feeling that DS questions are the same for him like setlist questions. He is being friendly, but he really thinks: agggrrrrhhh :disbelief :thumbsdown :disbelief

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 43 queries.