Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350825 times)

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #495 on: March 09, 2018, 09:12:18 PM »
I doubt Mark will be there in the end. I would be surprised if all members are coming, without a performance.

Time will tell.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #496 on: March 09, 2018, 09:34:17 PM »
  This isn't about differences guys. Mark is a "stubborn" person and he stands by his decision and the reasons behind those. Most probably he doesn't want to revisit Dire Straits for the same reasons he took his solo career, beside he is old now and past his capability to play the way he played with DS, he most probably doesn't want to destroy his songs, his own creations, for the sake of some nostalgic reunion.

He's been destroying Sultans for years already, at least if he did it at least he would been destroying it with the old members of the band...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #497 on: March 09, 2018, 09:51:04 PM »
They could simply play a couple of songs that are rock just because of the sound and don't need much speed,
for example Money for Nothing and Calling Elvis, one very well known and the other is the opener for the last live album,
would work and would be great
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #498 on: March 09, 2018, 09:53:23 PM »
They could simply play a couple of songs that are rock just because of the sound and don't need much speed,
for example Money for Nothing and Calling Elvis, one very well known and the other is the opener for the last live album,

Mark playing Calling Elvis nowadays? That would be absolutely catastrophic!

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #499 on: March 09, 2018, 10:01:03 PM »

Mark playing Calling Elvis nowadays? That would be absolutely catastrophic!

why? Sultans and Telegraph have lost too much speed, Calling Elvis could be played slow

anyway it's just dreaming, he won't play anything and maybe not even attend
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #500 on: March 09, 2018, 11:45:42 PM »
Was Calling Elvis not been rehearsed for the tracker tour but in the end someone from the band came up with the clapping idea and the rest is history....broken bones as opener and CE of the list  :-\

OfflineDon70

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #501 on: March 10, 2018, 12:04:46 AM »
He's hardly been destroying Sultans. Does he play it like be used to? No. But, destroying it? Little dramatic, don't you think?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #502 on: March 10, 2018, 12:13:08 AM »
Going to the ceremony, when all the rest of bands said they will perform, and not perform... To me it's ridiculous, like saying "I'm so special that we will be the only band inducted that is not playing".

Totally agree!

LE

+1

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #503 on: March 10, 2018, 12:16:44 AM »
  This isn't about differences guys. Mark is a "stubborn" person and he stands by his decision and the reasons behind those. Most probably he doesn't want to revisit Dire Straits for the same reasons he took his solo career, beside he is old now and past his capability to play the way he played with DS, he most probably doesn't want to destroy his songs, his own creations, for the sake of some nostalgic reunion.

Don't picture him as some selfish egocentric spoiled old man, he is within his right to play or not. He has played thousands of times in front of fans when he felt he could deliver, there are so few musicians who can claim that have been on the road for the fans as Mark has been since day one. He is a lot more comfortable now with songs like Basil or Kingdome of gold or Ragpicker's dream or Privateer and so on.

Would have been it nice to see him play again with John, David and Pick? Maybe only to the satisfaction of seeing them together again, not to the playing itself. For example, I found nothing terrible with Led Zeppelin sitting in the hall when Stairway to Heaven was played on stage at their honoring on Kennedy  awards 2012 I believe. On the contrary, you would feel satisfaction as an artist to see younger generation still playing your music.

Whatever his choice is, I will respect that, he has given so much to me through his music I can never repay. He has earned a free pass so to speak :)

maybe with bankers, BMW directors or private rich mens in the assistance, he would play .... ?   :disbelief

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #504 on: March 10, 2018, 12:34:27 AM »
He's hardly been destroying Sultans. Does he play it like be used to? No. But, destroying it? Little dramatic, don't you think?
Agree

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #505 on: March 10, 2018, 12:35:17 AM »

He's been destroying Sultans for years already, at least if he did it at least he would been destroying it with the old members of the band...
Exaggerated

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #506 on: March 10, 2018, 12:37:37 AM »
If in the future I will be at the concert of Marek Knopfler and will not play Sultans, I will be very sad.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #507 on: March 10, 2018, 12:41:00 AM »
"He's been destroying Sultans for years already, at least if he did it at least he would been destroying it with the old members of the band...

A big exaggeration
Clear as the day

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #508 on: March 10, 2018, 12:43:29 AM »
Well, listening to Sultans has been pretty disappointing over the last few tours, at least the solos.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #509 on: March 10, 2018, 02:37:39 AM »
For many people, it is still a great joy to hear the first DS song live. The sentimental value of this song is more important to me than all the solos that Mark does differently than in the 80's, 90's. But it's natural.
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 39 queries.