Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350856 times)

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #570 on: March 11, 2018, 09:52:55 AM »
Lazy?! Really?! The guy's pushing 70. The guys I think are lazy are the ones like Billy Joel who haven't released an album 25 years and do a handful shows featuring their old hits, and then cash the checks. Knopfler's writing and recording quality music (although some on here disagree). Creating is, by far, the hardest...

Lazy as not in what he produces but as of now he has (had?) one more shot of making something memorable out of this historic mark. But from what it seems he won't take it.

He could just play one song. One. 5  minutes. Would it even take a rehearsal? The world would go nuts and he would be remembered for this gesture forever.

Being inducted into the RRHOF and getting a dead band back together is a thing. You just do it. Bite the f-in bullet.

He always said that getting back together for a one time only wasn't impossible. This is the last obvious chance.

For a one time only, you're right he said it. But you forgot the part about charity.
And the RnRHoF is a billion miles away from a charity thing.

I'm sure he just wants to stay away from the spotlight and he certainly doesn't want to make people believe in a Dire Straits revival kind of thing. We all know how it starts. One time, then people and music industry will want more of it.

Let Dire Straits rest in peace, I just want to live my life and do my stuff. I'm certain that's what MK thinks about the whole thing.

Let's put things in perspective, right now he has all the freedom a musician could possibly dream about. He has his studio, he has long time friend Guy, he can fully trust him regarding everything he wants to do, he has no obligations, no schedule per say, he's totally free and he doesn't even need the money.

Why would he want to revive Dire Straits ? There is not one single reason that would justify that move.
Being famous and recognized everywhere again ? Having to hide himself from fans and medias, again? Being harassed by record company again ? That would be like opening the Pandora's box in his case right now.

How many of you still think about the job you did 30 years ago ? I don't, I moved on and everything changed, even if I really loved my job back then. As long as you're happy with what you do today.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:18:07 AM by Trawlerman »

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #571 on: March 11, 2018, 10:30:17 AM »
The proper way to go about this is you make a statement. You can just say look, that's very nice of you to induct us, we're too busy to attent but have your party anyway. And that's the worst case scenario.

What's happening though is pretty much the same as Bob and Nobel prize only that was just off the scale because of the importance of that prize but it's the same and it's not what you do. Not even if you're a Dylan or a Knopfler.

All it takes is a statement. It doesn't mean he needs to be there, or to perform. It doesn't mean people will get expectations because of it. Bob lost a ton of points for his stunt and now Mark is loosing them as well. He's been touring with Bob for too long.

And I don't get it. He has his studio full of vintage equipment he paid through the nose for, he has a ton of vintage guitars he likes to play more than the new ones. It's just his own work from the days gone by that he considers absolute crap and not even worth writing a sentence about. The exact same work that put him in the position he is in now. I said it before and I'll say it again, if it wasn't for Dire straits he wouldn't have a chance in hell with what he's doing now. And there would be no happy microphones that they mess with for hours and days in his own studio costing him pretty much nothing compared to what he'd be charged if he did it commercially somewhere else. He can only do and enjoy what he's doing now because of his DS days. How hard can it be to acknowledge that?

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #572 on: March 11, 2018, 11:02:10 AM »
They said this hall of fame prize was more a prize for us fans.

Yes, being the only band not performing is quite a reflection of that's a prize for fans.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #573 on: March 11, 2018, 11:54:20 AM »

All it takes is a statement. It doesn't mean he needs to be there, or to perform. It doesn't mean people will get expectations because of it.

Yes! Very well put.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #574 on: March 11, 2018, 12:34:48 PM »
Do we know what he's going to do yet?   :think
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #575 on: March 11, 2018, 01:16:40 PM »
The proper way to go about this is you make a statement. You can just say look, that's very nice of you to induct us, we're too busy to attent but have your party anyway. And that's the worst case scenario.

What's happening though is pretty much the same as Bob and Nobel prize only that was just off the scale because of the importance of that prize but it's the same and it's not what you do. Not even if you're a Dylan or a Knopfler.

All it takes is a statement. It doesn't mean he needs to be there, or to perform. It doesn't mean people will get expectations because of it. Bob lost a ton of points for his stunt and now Mark is loosing them as well. He's been touring with Bob for too long.

And I don't get it. He has his studio full of vintage equipment he paid through the nose for, he has a ton of vintage guitars he likes to play more than the new ones. It's just his own work from the days gone by that he considers absolute crap and not even worth writing a sentence about. The exact same work that put him in the position he is in now. I said it before and I'll say it again, if it wasn't for Dire straits he wouldn't have a chance in hell with what he's doing now. And there would be no happy microphones that they mess with for hours and days in his own studio costing him pretty much nothing compared to what he'd be charged if he did it commercially somewhere else. He can only do and enjoy what he's doing now because of his DS days. How hard can it be to acknowledge that?

I bought a house thanks to my first real job. Does it mean I should thank my former employer today, 20 years later ?

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #576 on: March 11, 2018, 01:28:20 PM »
I bought a house thanks to my first real job. Does it mean I should thank my former employer today, 20 years later ?

Can't see the similarity.

Most people who work are able to do so. Most people who play the guitar are unable.

Of course MK shouldn't thank his first record label.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #577 on: March 11, 2018, 01:49:31 PM »
Lazy?! Really?! The guy's pushing 70. The guys I think are lazy are the ones like Billy Joel who haven't released an album 25 years and do a handful shows featuring their old hits, and then cash the checks. Knopfler's writing and recording quality music (although some on here disagree). Creating is, by far, the hardest...

Lazy as not in what he produces but as of now he has (had?) one more shot of making something memorable out of this historic mark. But from what it seems he won't take it.

He could just play one song. One. 5  minutes. Would it even take a rehearsal? The world would go nuts and he would be remembered for this gesture forever.

Being inducted into the RRHOF and getting a dead band back together is a thing. You just do it. Bite the f-in bullet.

He always said that getting back together for a one time only wasn't impossible. This is the last obvious chance.

For a one time only, you're right he said it. But you forgot the part about charity.
And the RnRHoF is a billion miles away from a charity thing.

I'm sure he just wants to stay away from the spotlight and he certainly doesn't want to make people believe in a Dire Straits revival kind of thing. We all know how it starts. One time, then people and music industry will want more of it.

Let Dire Straits rest in peace, I just want to live my life and do my stuff. I'm certain that's what MK thinks about the whole thing.

Let's put things in perspective, right now he has all the freedom a musician could possibly dream about. He has his studio, he has long time friend Guy, he can fully trust him regarding everything he wants to do, he has no obligations, no schedule per say, he's totally free and he doesn't even need the money.

Why would he want to revive Dire Straits ? There is not one single reason that would justify that move.
Being famous and recognized everywhere again ? Having to hide himself from fans and medias, again? Being harassed by record company again ? That would be like opening the Pandora's box in his case right now.

How many of you still think about the job you did 30 years ago ? I don't, I moved on and everything changed, even if I really loved my job back then. As long as you're happy with what you do today.

Wisely written
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #578 on: March 11, 2018, 04:24:39 PM »

It surprises me that there is still no official word from MK.
Like he really don't gives a fu.. about this.  :think

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #579 on: March 11, 2018, 04:38:54 PM »
But stupid questions for Guy Fletcher appear  :o
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineDS

• Local Hero
« Reply #580 on: March 11, 2018, 06:36:30 PM »
During all this time I've produced some hypothesis for his behaviour. Maybe:

- He thinks he has no fans.
 - The real MK has been secretly replaced by a twin that can't play the old songs.
 - He reads AMIT and he loves whenever we're disappointed, like a fetish. The more disappointed, the better.
 - After the motorcycle crash he forgot he's one of the top guitarists and songwriters, and nobody tells him.
 - The head band gave him strength, but he lost it so now he doesn't feel confident.
 - ... I can continue but I'll stop
Tracker - Lucca 2015
DTRW - Lucca 2019

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #581 on: March 11, 2018, 06:38:14 PM »

David Knopfler said in Twitter that there is no going to be any performance but ex members will attend.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #582 on: March 11, 2018, 07:40:19 PM »

There wouldn't be so many questions for poor Guy if an official statement was made.  It's really about time PCM got its act together.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #583 on: March 11, 2018, 07:51:54 PM »

There wouldn't be so many questions for poor Guy if an official statement was made.  It's really about time PCM got its act together.
I totally agree with you DMG. But MK doesn't want to make any official statement. He won't go because he doesn't care !!

Envoyé de mon Moto C Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #584 on: March 11, 2018, 07:52:12 PM »
I'm not saying that it is comparable, but...

The Rolling Stones were never forced to go to Cuba and make a totally free concert in Havana. The only reason was to give back to the fans. Not only that but it launched a musician to musician initiative. And above it all it was recorded and released on Blu-ray, DVD and CD.

http://www.rollingstones.com/2016/03/01/the-rolling-stones-announce-free-concert-in-cuba/

MK will be flown in to Cleveland. Stay at the best hotel. Someone will show him to his seat at the reception. Eat a fine gala dinner and then be handed an award by someone else very famous.

But yeah, let's leave the guitar back in the UK.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 39 queries.