Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350735 times)

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #825 on: March 19, 2018, 05:26:57 PM »
True, still, 95% of the artists today would give both arms for such sales

Oh absolutely, but can't be compared of course. Isolated the tour and record made a lot of money. The tour alone grossed more than 120 million pounds. But expactations insanely high for the followup to BIA. And in that light it didn't deliver. In hindsight and given the material MK had for GH and STP it was the right call to end DS, while still being on the level they were.

A couple of comments on it:

"The last tour was utter misery," said manager Ed Bicknell. "Whatever the zeitgeist was that we had been part of, it had passed." "Personal relationships were in trouble and it put a terrible strain on everybody, emotionally and physically," agreed Illsley. "We were changed by it."

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #826 on: March 19, 2018, 06:21:04 PM »
Looks like Alan is amongst us lol

Can’t wait to see how he and his band will capitalize on the induction...
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #827 on: March 19, 2018, 06:23:11 PM »
HoF never pays for expenses, it has nothing to do with playing or not.
Inductees have 2 free seats. Family, kids, parents or whatever, have to pay for a seat if they want to go. A table costs $50.000. That's the price you have to pay if your father is inducted and you want to attend the event at the best seats.

I told you, HoF is just a greedy corporation, nothing more, nothing prestigious about it, it's not like the awards or something.

But back to the point, inductees are invited, it doesn't mean the hall covers the expenses.
In other words, induction itself is free, attending the ceremony is not.

It has absolutely nothing to do with playing a couple of songs or not.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #828 on: March 19, 2018, 06:40:42 PM »
So, if you have to travel from the UK, pay a hotel and launch, dinner, breakfast, taxis etc... We have to thank John, Alan and Guy for attending!!!!!

We are soooooo lucky!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #829 on: March 19, 2018, 07:01:25 PM »
So, if you have to travel from the UK, pay a hotel and launch, dinner, breakfast, taxis etc... We have to thank John, Alan and Guy for attending!!!!!

We are soooooo lucky!

Exactly
For the same reason the s.ex pistols didn't attend. They thought $25,000 just to sit at one of the ceremony’s tables was a bit exagerated especially when you're invited and inducted.

Offlineguitarbrother

• Local Hero
« Reply #830 on: March 19, 2018, 11:52:43 PM »
Just back from John Illsley´s concert in Aschaffenburg. Although I know the answer from Guy´s forum I asked John about beging at the ceremony. He said that he will be there but that their definitely won't be a performance. He seems to be a bit disappointed by saying so. But that might be to much interpretation after this gig.
BTW: The concert was really good. Most of the Dire Straits songs had more soul, more feeling than they had on the last MK tours.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #831 on: March 20, 2018, 01:09:20 AM »
Just back from John Illsley´s concert in Aschaffenburg. Although I know the answer from Guy´s forum I asked John about beging at the ceremony. He said that he will be there but that their definitely won't be a performance. He seems to be a bit disappointed by saying so. But that might be to much interpretation after this gig.

Infact he is not a bit disappointed, but very likely very disappointed
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinebinone

• Lady writer
« Reply #832 on: March 20, 2018, 07:36:18 AM »
LOVE over gold

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #833 on: March 20, 2018, 10:07:30 AM »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #834 on: March 20, 2018, 10:52:29 AM »
The last time was the chance to see DS at the Live 8 charity concert in 2005. RHOF is a different story.
Clear as the day

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #835 on: March 20, 2018, 10:59:37 AM »
The last time was the chance to see DS at the Live 8 charity concert in 2005. RHOF is a different story.

All the years at the RAH there are a number of dates in which famous bands play concerts in aids to the Teenage Cancer Trust, and that concerts are organized by, or is involved in the organization, Paul Crockford Management. Does the name rings the bell?

MK has said many times that DS will come back only for a charity concert. His own manager organize or is involve every year with this trust, and MK never played in that concerts (he was about to do it in 2003 with Eric Clapton but was cancelled because of his motorbike accident) so, if MK as a solo artist never played for that concerts, how imagine DS will do it...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #836 on: March 20, 2018, 11:04:10 AM »

All the years at the RAH there are a number of dates in which famous bands play concerts in aids to the Teenage Cancer Trust, and that concerts are organized by, or is involved in the organization, Paul Crockford Management. Does the name rings the bell?

MK has said many times that DS will come back only for a charity concert. His own manager organize or is involve every year with this trust, and MK never played in that concerts (he was about to do it in 2003 with Eric Clapton but was cancelled because of his motorbike accident) so, if MK as a solo artist never played for that concerts, how imagine DS will do it...

Until the Tracker tour, MK designated each night of his RAH concerts to different charities, including Teenage Cancer Trust.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #837 on: March 20, 2018, 11:04:29 AM »
I was thinking about Live 8 because then Pink Floyd performed together. And that would be something big
Clear as the day

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #838 on: March 20, 2018, 11:05:57 AM »

Until the Tracker tour, MK designated each night of his RAH concerts to different charities, including Teenage Cancer Trust.   :)

Exactly
Clear as the day

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #839 on: March 20, 2018, 11:29:03 AM »

Yes. But I'm talking about a special series of concerts that are made with the purpose to get funds for that trust, and happens all the years, and happen in different dates than the MK tour dates.

Since 2015 that was MK last tour, that series of concerts had happened in 2016, 2017 and will happen in 2018, and year by year, all the years since many years ago.

MK doesn't take part in that series of concerts, neither DS of course, he just decide to give money for his own dates to the charity, which is not the same.

DS played at the Live Aid concert, which is not the same if DS decided not to play at the stadium, but donate funds to the same cause from theirs concerts at Wembley Arena, yes, they give the money anyway, but they don't take part at the Live Aid concerts...

That Teenage CAncert TRust concerts are great because some special things happens... Some years ago Noel Gallagher and Damon Albarn played a gig together... you might remember that it was supposed they hated each other when the "brit-pop war" between Oasis and Blur in the 90's...

MK and Clapton were about to play together for that trust series of concerts, but it was cancelled, and since then, MK name wasn't in the list of that series of concerts.

Actually, he could had played at that concerts when he is not touring because that series of concerts are usually one offs, special events, it would had been great to make this long waiting less long
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:32:35 AM by jbaent »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 39 queries.